x

Does Square prompt you to deduct tare weight when using the integrated scale?

I've called into support and am having trouble getting an answer to this question. All of our products are pay-by-weight and we need the capability to deduct the tare weight of the container from the total weight after weighing it on the integrated scale. This is the only way that this scale would make any sense for our business, so I can't justify making the purchase without knowing the answer to this question. I don't see "tare weight" mentioned anywhere in any articles or product descriptions, so I'm a bit worried that this software just doesn't have that capability, but I am hopeful!

Message 1 of 47
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Feature Request: Tare Weight Function

We are a bulk store and found a scale that had a tare function---where we can type in the weight of the container and hit tare, and it only gives us the weight of whats inside the container for entering on Square. This works for our zero waste store!

2 Best Answers
Alumni

Best Answer

If we take a look at this scale in the Square Shop, there is a Tare button on the bottom right-hand side of the face of the scale. This is the button you'll use to tare out the weight of a container prior to weighing the product to be sold.

I used to work at a loose leaf tea shop, where we had a big scale that we used to weigh out teas into varying sizes of containers. Sometimes, we used the Tare function before filling containers with tea - we typically did this for oddly shaped containers that we didn't have presets for. Most of the time, we used a couple of preset Tare buttons that we had set up on the scale itself. 

If you already know the weight(s) of your container(s), the preset Tare weight sounds like it's the feature you're looking for. You are able to input 5 different preset Tare weight values using this scale. If you set up preset Tare weight values, you will be able to deduct the weight of the container from the total weight of what's on the scale by using a button on the scale.

If your customers are bringing in containers of all shapes and sizes, you would follow the same steps I followed with oddly shaped containers at the tea shop. @LocavoreStore similarly explained how a yogurt shop would ring up yogurt in a container without charging customers for the container here

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 12 of 47
Beta Member

Best Answer

We are a bulk store and found a scale that had a tare function---where we can type in the weight of the container and hit tare, and it only gives us the weight of whats inside the container for entering on Square. This works for our zero waste store!

View Best Answer >

Message 6 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

Hi all,

Given that Square does not have a tare feature, here are a couple solutions that might be helpful:  

1. There are actually other scales that are compatible with Square besides the official ones they list on their site and some of these scales allow you to enter a tare weight directly into the scale itself. Here's a video: https://youtu.be/PgD9AVUQmF0

If you're in the US, we can try to help you source a compatible scale with the correct components. If you're international, we still might be able to help.

2. Our company Filljoy has developed a weighing app to serve fast-paced bulk / refill / zero waste stores which streamlines tare deduction and also integrates with Square. We have many retail stores currently depending on it as part of their weighing and checkout workflow (currently available in North America). 

If you're interested in either of the above, please send us an email at hello@filljoy.co

Message 43 of 47

I own a bulk food store - and this is a super critical component of the POS that we desperately need. 

Message 44 of 47
Square Community Moderator

Hey @pantrygoods 👋 Welcome to the Seller Community!

I would suggest taking a look at this Best Answer by @Valentina it might shed some light in regards to this. Please let me know if you have any additional feedback or questions.

JJ
Message 45 of 47

We have the same issue. Plus not being able to modify what information can read from the barcode. Unfortunately Im not the one who makes the decisions here. If it were me, I would have gone with a Clover system because Square is simply not cutout for customizing to your retail needs. I work in a meat shop where tare and weight are a huge factor of our business and Square has fallen short on many key aspects of our business. Luckily we figured out some workarounds but still. I suggest Clover. Good Luck.

Message 46 of 47
Square Community Moderator

Hi Sellers! 👋

We’re excited to announce that you can now deduct tare weights from items sold by weight directly through your Square for Retail point of sale.

This new tare functionality allows you to remove the weight of containers or other packaging that shouldn’t be included in what you charge your customers; something that could previously only be managed on the scale itself.

After you place an item on your connected scale and select it to add to cart, you’ll see an option to Set tare. You can enter the container’s tare weight that will be subtracted from the scale’s measured weight. Once the tare is set, and the item is added, the cart will then display the net weight used to calculate the price.

Note: Tare weight can only be subtracted and cannot exceed the measured weight.

Additionally, the customer’s receipt will also display both the net weight and any applicable tare weight while your inventory will be decreased by net weight only.

We hope this will streamline how you sell items by weight, and speed up checkout for you and your customers.

To learn more see our Help article.

Note: This feature is available to all sellers using Square for Retail and a supported scale. The new cart experience must also be enabled on each of your devices in Settings > Favorites.

Violet
Message 47 of 47