x

How can we add shared stock across multiple items?

I'm trying to figure out how I can share stock for an ingredient over multiple items. For example, we have a lot of wings flavours. It would be nice to be able to track how many wings we have across all of them. So the number of orders available will go down no matter what flavour people choose. Then all wings will automatically be out of stock. Restocking would be so much faster as well.

If the option is not yet available, one way I can see this working is if we can tag items to be tracked from one stock item. For example, if I can tag all the wings with the chicken wing stock. Or all the burgers with the patty stock. Or all the items containing fries with the french fry stock. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Champion

@DanielsGourmet At this moment, I’m sorry to say, you can’t.  Square does not have component inventory ability — ie selling an American Burger will deplete ground beef, bun, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, mayo, ketchup and fries, for example.  I’m not sure if that is available on the retail side, yet, but I know it hasn’t been introduced on the restaurant side of things for either POS or Square for Restaurants.  Also, at this point, there is also no ability to track modifier-level inventory, or I could come up with at least one solution that should work.  So, currently nothing integrated with Square.

If you look in the Square App Marketplace, you’ll notice an app integration called PeachWorks.  It has recipe management and restaurant inventory functionality.  I’ve never used it but I know folks who have and they swear by it.  I never needed it because I was a small takeout food service window, and could control inventory easily enough myself.  But in more complicated, busy restaurants software like this is indispensable.  It requires a decent amount of setup, especially on the side of creating your pantry list, recipes and menu item builds so that the inventory side of things knows how much to deplete inventory for all of the options, including such things as “add 3 ounces to the burger,” and so forth.  But once you set it up it is worth it.  And it integrates and syncs with your Square library and sales history.

There are probably other third-party apps that integrate with Square, but that is one I am aware of.

Most restaurants POS systems that have this charge quite the premium for the capability, for good reason.  PeachWorks isn’t cheap, but it will probably more than pay for itself in inventory management, shortage and waste control, and menu pricing.  It’s worth checking out.  I, too, am hoping that this is something Square is working on behind the scenes.  They’d win a lot of people over with it as an integrated piece of their Restaurants App.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 2 of 2