x

Receiving email receipts.

I bought some ice cream from Ben & Jerry’s via a square reader. I did not type in my email, yet I received an email receipt a few minutes later. How does that happen?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Hello @bcbaker918! If you made a purchase at a Square Seller and entered your email address for a digital receipt it will be automatically paired to your credit card for future receipts! 

Message 2 of 10

We would like to be able to prevent any emails to be sent to our customers. No receipts at all. Our accounting system does it all the way we need. We’d like to turn off any receipts from our check out links. 

Message 3 of 10
Square Champion

I don't believe you can turn receipts off, but you could always request this feature!

My Girlfriend's Wardrobe est. 2012

Preston & jayne est. 2023

Downtown York Pa

Square user since 2012
Message 4 of 10

You are right, sellers cannot do that themselves from their dashboard / control panel. 

But Square support (not customer service) used to be able to turn it off. It’s been proven as we requested it long ago for our old account and for some of our clients’ seller accounts and it was successfully turned off. Although these days it doesn’t seem like anybody at Square can do it or find it anymore. 

it was related to changing some permissions first. Then there was a way. 

I find that those receipts are very sneaky and unprofessional for many reasons. Funny enough, when I posted those reasons, my post was censored/deleted. So much for open discussion and participation. 

Message 5 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hi there @BCBAKER918 @PRIVATESELLER and @ALEXANDRIAK👋 Thanks for posting here on The Community. I'm happy to provide some additional information for you on digital receipts.

When a customer uses a payment card for the first time at a Square seller, they are asked at the point of sale to enter their phone number or email address if they want to receive a texted or emailed receipt. At this point, the phone number/email is attached to that credit card - and going forward - a receipt is automatically sent to that phone number/email when the credit card is used at any Square seller.

If an email address or phone number is entered incorrectly, the receipt may be sent to the wrong recipient. If the last four digits of the credit card at the bottom of the receipt do not match yours, your card was not charged, but your email address or phone number was entered for receipt delivery.

To unlink your email address, click Not your receipt? on the bottom of the receipt you received. If this is the first receipt you receive from Square, you’ll also see a Don’t Recognize This Charge? link at the top of the receipt. Both will unlink your email address from the payment card so that you won’t mistakenly receive receipts meant for someone else.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let us know if you have any additional questions!

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 10

Hello Alanah,

Thank you very much for your time but unfortunately it’s irrelevant to my situation. 

I referred to receipts sent to customers who fill out a form that opens up from the Online Checkout links or buttons. 

The form forces our customers, whose information we already have, to enter their email address and phone number. We don’t need it and don’t want it. We know every single customer and don’t want them to waste time filling out things we don’t need. 

There’s no way for us to disable asking our customers for their phone numbers etc and email address. Those fields are mandatory. 

There’s also no way for us to disable sending them unsolicited communication, specifically redundant receipts because our accounting system already sends them all we need and all they need, the way that’s consistent with our business needs. We don’t need unwanted duplication from you. 

Worse of all, we don’t want you to play games with our customers asking them to leave feedback and include smiley and frown faces on the receipts that are sent behind our back. We can’t control that either. 

There are many more problems with those receipts. We don’t want them to be shoved down our customer’s throats. 

There was a time when it was possible for customer service (not the seller) to disable sending those receipts adjusting some permissions on the back end. 

Thank you again Alanah. 

Message 7 of 10

P.S. the receipts I’m talking about are sent to everyone, including those who never used their credit card with square or never given their email address to square before. 

Message 8 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hi again @PrivateSeller - Sorry for the misunderstanding. I appreciate the additional details you've provided.

Receipts can only be disabled from your Settings if you are using a Point of Sale device or the Square App to take payments. You can edit the appearance of your Receipts from your Square Dashboard but there are no additional receipt settings beyond what is on this page.

Since you mentioned someone from Support was able to do this for you in the past, I would suggest checking in with the Square Online Support Team to see if there are any settings on their end that can prevent the customer from receiving receipts - though it sounds like this is part of the Online Checkout flow.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 10

Thank you for your time. Still no solution though. 

You are right that there’s no way to turn off those receipts from the seller’s dashboard. 

It’s also a fact that someone from Square was able to turn those receipts off a while ago for our old account and for some seller accounts of our partners and clients. 

The reality at the moment that numerous attempts to contact Online team resulted in nothing but wasted time. Incompetence is staggering. Some reps have no clue what it’s referring to. Some others have no clue what they are doing. Some think that they are helping and even tell us that they fixed it while nothing changes and they keep wasting our time and theirs going in circles.

We ran out of any reasonable options    There are so many things that are terribly wrong with those receipts. When I tried to describe specific points my post was censored and deleted. So much for open communication and encouraging feedback. Just useless lip service. 

Thank  you for your time though. 

All the best. 

Message 10 of 10