x

bar codes won't scan

I have generated and printed bar codes for my products but they will not scan with the iPad camera or with the Socket Mobile Scanner. I can get my scanner to recognize bar codes on other things, just not the ones I have generated...with the exception of once or twice. Please help!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller

@lfelthous - A few things to Try.

What Type of Paper or Label are you printing the Barcodes on?

The paper does make a difference if it is regular paper that bleeds ink a little this can cause them not to read.

What are you using to generate the barcodes you create?

If you print them too small or too large or Resize them in different ways this can make them that they will not be read by a scanner.

What Barcode font are you using to create the Barcodes?

There are a ton of types of Barcodes.  Square usually reads Code 39, Code 128, UPC-, and the QR 2D code.   

Scanners have different types they can also read, make sure your Barcode is in a format that your Scanner can also Read.

I use to work for a printer doing mailings and 1D barcodes had to be a certain Height and Spacing between the lines had to be within certain parameters, which is why you can not just print a barcode larger or smaller since this will mess with the readability.

When I make my barcodes, I use the fonts and sizes that came with my Label Printer to set my barcodes, and have not run into any issues besides what I have mentioned with types of paper and trying to make them bigger or smaller from a png or jpg image.

When I started making barcodes myself I would print them out at home and try them with my USB scanner and a laptop just to see if it worked.  It would work then I tried it with my Square Stand and the Scanner, which is how I found out my Terra Scanner was not compatible with Square.  Got another scanner and it worked at home and with Square, then I tried different Barcode fonts, some were too small others too long.  I read this article to help me understand different barcodes and rules for making them.  

https://barcodeguide.seagullscientific.com/Content/gettingStarted.htm 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 2 of 2