x
Admin

How did you start marketing your business?

It’s May at last 🌞

With a new month starting, we’ve been seeing a lot of new faces in the Community and more questions around starting a business, such as a question from @Starwayy around how to get their first customer

In the spirit of new beginnings, this week, we’d love to find out:

How did you start marketing your business?

Did you start advertising locally in-person or did you start with social media right away? What is the one thing you wish you knew when you first started marketing your business?

Looking forward to reading all your insights!

Tra | she/her
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 1 of 63
62 REPLIES 62
Square Champion

Also.. don't underestimate the importance of in-person events, networking at trade events, etc. 

We are always putting ourselves "out there" in our industry..

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 22 of 63
Square Champion

I started out by creating social media pages first.  I then began doing in person events to establish myself as a business with potential customers.  

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 23 of 63
Admin

What social channels were big for you to start with?

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 24 of 63
Square Champion

Facebook has always been my most active channel.   I'm now doing IG and dabbling with TikTok.  

Jacqueline
Message 25 of 63

Facebook, TikTok and Instagram

Message 26 of 63
Admin

How was your experience with in-person events @JUYBoutique20? Was it mainly local fairs and markets, or other types of events 👀?

Tra | she/her
Message 27 of 63
Square Champion

My in-person events were and still are very successful.  I love interacting with others so once I get them talking, they are definitely buying from me. Yes, I did lots of family events like local fairs, wine tasting, etc.  Since we opened our anime store, we also do Comic-Cons.  I want to get into doing wedding expos next year for the boutique and some health fairs as well.

Jacqueline
Message 28 of 63
Square Champion

@tranguyen I started promoting through wedding fayres, it was hard going to start with but then the other suppliers at the fayres got wind of our products and they started promoting to their customers which was great as it required minimal effort for us and allowed us to tap in to a wider customer base. So finding a way to leverage other established businesses to market your products to their customers can be a helpful way to gain traction.

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 29 of 63
Admin

That's a great reminder @phillipsrw! At the beginning, did you have to attend many fayres? Are you still working with any of the suppliers who you met at these fayres?

Tra | she/her
Message 30 of 63
Square Champion

We still have some great relationships with a few of the suppliers some 10 years later, alot came then vanished with Covid as the wedding scene was somewhat crushed during lockdowns.

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 31 of 63
Seller Community Mentor

When I first became self-employed - at the age of 19, social media didn't exist.  It was all door to door or cold calling on the phone.  Back then we had 'territories' to cover that no one else could cover.  It's a good thing that being kidnapped wasn't so rampant back then, because I spent many hours walking the streets alone at the age of 19-20 going door to door to cover my territory.  A few years later, I was in a different business, no territory and spent most of my time selling from home, cold calling was a way to get new customers without leaving my baby daughter.  I rarely got a yes but I'd also spend hours reaching out to every person I knew - on a landline, to tell them about my new venture.  With a lot of dedication and hard work, it paid off.  I was top salesperson out of more than 200 consultants my second year and I promoted to manager the third year.

In 1999, I had five different businesses and models under my belt, so when we moved to a new state and I knew no one, I knew where to start.  Face to face is everything!  We didn't have social media and I knew better by that point than to go door to door, but I made every effort to network.  To reach people, in any way I could, that were within my target audience.

Fast forward to 2006, we opened our first HVAC business.  My husband took the time to go door to door in every mobile home park in our immediate area and we hung flyers on every bulletin board.  I didn't join FB until 2009 and it wasn't being used as a business platform at that time.  We just kept plugging away at the networking.

In 2017 when we opened our current business, I did it all immediately.  Google page.  FB page.  Newspaper blurb about this new business.  Posting, sharing, networking.  Anything and everything to get in front of people, for as little cost as possible.  Everything I did in the beginning was free.  Even the newspaper blurb.  You just have to ask.  Now I only do FB because I cannot show client's homes on IG and there's not really a lot that people want to see in our field.  I refuse to use TikTok and Twitter.  I do most of my FB posting as scheduled content, so I don't have to monitor it daily.  I usually do about a week's worth at a time.

I wish I knew that radio spots were not going to be worth it and shouldn't spend the money.  We invested over 20k in 4 years and got ZERO ROI on it.  Radio only works when you have a very large disposable marketing budget and you're a big enough business to support daily traffic.  You have to be a brick and mortar or be so visible in the service industry that you've got a fleet of vehicles.  It didn't matter how many spots we did, it never helped.  People we knew would tell us that they heard us on the radio but we never got new customers from it and I know that because I ask every new caller how they heard of us.

Co-Owner/Business Manager
Arctic Heat
R&C Property Management
Event Planner/Business Trainer
Member - Women in HVACR
Member - Women's Leadership Network, Helena
Message 32 of 63
Admin

What a journey! Appreciate you sharing this, Carey and great advice around radio ads too. 

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 33 of 63
Admin

You really have tried everything @CareyJo! Thank you for sharing this ❤️

I love your advice on radio ads as well — I think it's important to try new things but also be able to calculate how that effort is paying off and whether you are getting new customers from it. 

I'm curious, what type of content do you find people tend to engage with the most on Facebook 👀?

Tra | she/her
Message 34 of 63
Seller Community Mentor

Personal.  Food, family, recreation.  None of which have anything to do with my business LOL... but in adding fun content to my page, ALWAYS with a photo, I get a lot more hits.  I ask questions and sometimes get answers but in between all of that fun content, I post content that is educational and informative and adds value for our customers.  I just want them to remember us when they pick up the phone.  Engaging with them helps them remember.  🙂

Co-Owner/Business Manager
Arctic Heat
R&C Property Management
Event Planner/Business Trainer
Member - Women in HVACR
Member - Women's Leadership Network, Helena
Message 35 of 63

I have found that remembering and calling people by their first name makes them feel more significant, like they matter to you. When engaging on social media, I use their first name when available. When I save client's numbers to my phone, I put their dog's name, (dog groomer) their first name, then last name and when they call I will answer "Hi, Pam!" they love that you remember them and it creates a personal bond. I truly believe that building relationships of trust is the key to continued loyal business. I would like to add here because I forgot it in my original response, that my Google Business listing has been really the best platform for gaining new clients as well as subscribing/registering to Google Voice Search. Most people search by voice anymore like "dog groomer near me" or "Steak restaurant near me". I strongly recommend registering your business with Google Business Listings, Google Voice Search, and make sure your business is on Google Maps.

Message 36 of 63
Square Champion

We have done basically no marketing.  Back in 1961 when our company started obviously there was no Social media, so it was just word of mouth, we really didn't do any newspaper either.  As years went on there wasn't any reason to even try to advertise as demand was more than we could handle already.  Now it is just Facebook for marketing which is so hit and miss.

Even now I still think word of mouth is 80% of how people find out about our businesses.  10% is people driving by, and the rest is social media.

Message 37 of 63
Admin

Word-of-mouth is definitely underrated! 

Tra | she/her
Message 38 of 63

I started os store on line right away

Message 39 of 63
Admin

How are you finding it @MHowar? Is there one particular online channel you'd recommend for businesses similar to yours? 

Tra | she/her
Message 40 of 63
Admin

Thanks everyone for sharing all your brilliant insights and expertise 💕!

If you are interested in reading more about avertising your business, definitely check out the latest Seller Communigyt blog post on choosing the right platform for you 🌟

Tra | she/her
Message 41 of 63
Beta Member

Interesting topic! I started my business back in 2020 on Facebook, Mercari, and going to pop up shops. Later on that year I made a website through square and it expanded my brand out beautifully! With this Revamp I changed everything! I'm talking about all the way down to new products and a whole new name! The way I marketed this year was making a music video with my products, making commercials, and leaving business cards every where! Be creative and step outside the box, doing this has made me more sales in the two weeks compared to what I made last year! Trust yourself and keep going no matter what! I believe in you! www.butterflyblossomcosmeticsllc.com

Message 42 of 63