x
Admin

How do you keep employees' morales up and prevent burnout?

Hey everyone! 

This is it — our last Question of the Week for 2023. We will be taking a short break next week to start 2024 completely fresh .

End-of-year can be absolutely hectic and it's easy to get burn out. In recent weeks, we've discussed how to make time for yourself away from your business. This week, we'd love to learn:

How do you keep employees' morales up and prevent burnout? 

Can't wait to read everyone's suggestions and tips! 

Tra
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 1 of 12
Report Inappropriate Content
11 REPLIES 11
Beta Member

Keeping up a positive morale is important for all workplaces. If  I go to work angry, grumpy and upset, my mood will transfer to my employees like wildfire.  It all starts with leadership, but hiring happy people isn't always and option. 

What I decided to do was create an upbeat atmosphere.  I immediately start the day off with a live trivia question. No Google, no phones, a "live" in person question during our morning meeting. This small little act has a powerful effect in several different ways. Firstly, It wakes up my employees, gets their attention by incentivizing a daily prize. Secondly, It's a reason to be on time. After starting this quiz, My employees are punctual and more reliable.  Thirdly, I ask leading questions that encourage funny answers.  Fourth, allow more than one winner to get prizes, gifts, etc... I'll give out hockey tix(4) to the winners often.  If I have 2 winners, they each get 2 tix. Lastly, I hold a grand prize drawing at the end of the week, the better my employees do, the more chances for them to win.  

This can get expensive and if it wasn't for vendor's give-a-ways, it wouldn't be nearly as successful... just way more expensive. Either way, spending on your employees lifts morale, increases production, and makes a positive atmosphere in the work environment.

Message 2 of 12
Admin

Spot on and definitely agree that energy is contagious!

Love the trivia idea on boosting morale too 🙂  

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 3 of 12
Admin

Can't believe it is the last QotW of 2023! 

@TheRealChipA I have a good feeling that you would have a great answer for this question! 

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 4 of 12
Super Seller

We’ll see about those “feelings” of yours, @maxpete.. lol.  

First, a caveat.  Mine is a seasonal business — April through October.  As such, it is best suited to those who don’t need consistent, full-time employment.  Most of my employees are high school or college-age folks who are looking for summer jobs.  Given that, take this for a grain of salt, since I don’t have the pressures and stress of having to, for example, prevent burnout.  My only employment goal is an enjoyable place to work and a staff who likes their jobs so much that it shows and it rubs off on the customers.

For the past few years, as I approach retirement, I realize that I don’t want to work 60 or 70+ hours a week anymore.  Been there, done that.  My first decision in support of that desire was to find team leaders who can “be Chip when Chip is not there.”  Honestly, I now wish I had done that much sooner.  For the past few years, I’ve had team leaders who love Piper’s (they grew up with it in the neighborhood, after all) and who love the product.  They are my best ambassadors.

What I’ve learned is that by giving them my confidence and full support they actually do as good a job, and often even a better job, than I do.  When an issue arises that needs a decision, they know that I will always support them as long as they keep two goals in mind — 1) make the customer happy and 2) ask themselves WWCD (what would Chip do?).  My team leaders are not managers or supervisors.  They are just in charge of the shop, tasked with ensuring that the shift runs smoothly, that customers are taken care of, that the place doesn’t burn down, and that when I come in the next day to open, I don’t open the door to unfinished closing tasks.  When a question arises, they make their best decisions and we discuss them later.

How does this build total team morale?  First, they don’t have an old Boomer around all the time. LOL.  But, more importantly, they see that even for a summer job there is room to learn and grow and become move valuable to Piper’s.  And, it’s obvious that Piper’s is a place to work where trust earned and given is part of the culture.  Also, it builds MY morale because, for the most part, I can leave at 5 or 6pm every day, and even have one or two days completely off.  As we all know, a happy boss equals a happy staff!  Lastly, I’ve learned that new employees learn more from, and take direction and training from, people they relate with.  In this case, my team leaders are usually older teens — 18 - 20 years of age.  They speak the language and understand the mindset.  Their training takes into account their culture, which mine can not even begin to do.  It works for both the trainer and for those they train.  And I don’t have to deal with the frustration of training.  Whew.  Again, happy boss….. LOL

Otherwise, I’ve overheard (and heard through the grapevine) that when employees are asked what they like about working for us, they always say that it is a fun job.  They like working there.  They like being part of a neighborhood fixture, one that they grew up with.  They like making ice cream and seeing people smile! It is the reason that at least half of my staff returns the next season.  Those that don’t are either in college work-study or finally are at a point they need a “real job” that supports their new adulting lives.

I have it easy, in a way.  Ice cream should be a fun job and a fun customer experience.  But what I’ve learned is that business culture and respect/appreciation are key.  It doesn’t matter if you sell ice cream or repossess vehicles.  As far as employees go, they just want and need and deserve to work somewhere that gives them reasons to want to work.

One more dead horse I’ll beat.  R-E-S-P-E-C-T.  Here’s something I’ve shared before.  I’ve been in the hospitality business for nearly 30 years.  In that time, I’ve fired more employees than I can count.  It goes with the territory.  When my husband and I go out to dinner, occasionally someone comes to our table that I know and we have a nice, friendly chat.  When they leave, he asks who that person was.  I laugh and say “oh, it is so-and-so that I fired once at restaurant Z.”  He’s been with me long enough to know the rest of the story.  I learned a long time ago that when I discipline/fire someone I am still sitting across from a human being.  I might not like their work ethic, they might have done something that was a business unforgivable.  But they are still human.  I treat them as they deserve to be treated, even if they are losing their job and income stream.  So far, I’ve never run across one later who avoided me, or was anything other than nice to me.

This is important why?  Because it applies to all of my dealings with employees.  I employ Gen Zers.  They have a different work ethic.  I may not always understand that work ethic, but I need to learn to work with it and mold it and make it work for me.  That starts with remembering that they are human beings with goals and dreams and aspirations.  If I meet them there I stand a good chance of keeping their morale where I need it to be to make my business successful. (As @fscott5 alluded to, put our employees first and let them know they are always on our minds and important to us.)

Stepping off my soapbox now! LOL. (Be careful what you wish for, Max Pete!)

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 5 of 12
Admin

See, I knew you would come through with a great response!!

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 6 of 12

Hi

Message 7 of 12
Super Seller

We have high expectations and some basic requirements. We like to give team members a degree of freedom and autonomy and avoid micromanagement, so effectively they are their own boss. We are always on hand to help or advise, but enabling them to have the freedom to make decisions frees them from the pressures of typically most jobs. 

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 8 of 12
Admin

Autonomy and trust really does work wonders for morale!

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 9 of 12
Super Seller

We honestly just try to be human beings by giving our employees the same grace we give ourselves. 

We do make sure we appreciate them by having some items on hand that make their lives easier: snacks and drinks in the fridge, basic medications like tums, advil, feminine hygiene in the bathroom, fun dinners and team building every other month or so.. just little things to know we appreciate them.

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 10 of 12
Admin

The little things matter 🙂 

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 11 of 12
Super Seller

I put on a staff outing once every 4 months to get the team together, paid by the business for a max of 2 hours. I give each staff member projects they enjoy and are skilled out.

UV-Free Tanning Salon Owner, Northern California (Campbell)
Message 12 of 12