x
Admin

In the News: Would you bring robots to your business?

Pesso_0-1695822355420.png

Hey Newsies,

After last edition’s discussion around generative AI, today we’re talking robots. An article from PYMNTS reports on Chick-fil-A testing out robotic servers at their restaurants. I’d love to hear your thoughts and experiences in adding automation in the form of robotics to your business.

PYMNTS: Chick-fil-A Reportedly Tests Robot Servers Amid Diner Concerns Around Automation

The article explains that there is a rising trend of restaurants incorporating robots to automate tasks, despite some customers being apprehensive and uninterested in visiting these businesses. Chick-fil-A is testing out using robots to bring food to customers’ tables, instead of employees doing so. Meanwhile, Chili’s tried it out and decided to not bring them to more restaurants. While the exact reasons aren’t known, it can be inferred that it was due to public perception.

Chick-fil-A is known for their incredibly personal and human customer service, so it’s interesting to see reports of them adding robots that could theoretically change that. But it does make sense to automate some tasks so their employees can focus on the human connection, while also working to reduce some costs over the long term. 

Pesso_1-1695822355477.png

In my shop, we were definitely open to the idea of some type of robotic assistance, but nothing was on the market that would work well for ice cream. It would be really cool to have a robot create perfect scoops of ice cream every time, both for consistent size and shape, but also for the longevity of the product inside the tub, which can be affected if scooped improperly. Unfortunately, the logistics wouldn’t have made sense, and it seemed to go against our brand and business model of being an approachable neighborhood shop. But if it did make more sense for us, we would definitely have looked into it.

What’s your perspective:

• Have you incorporated any robots into your business?
  • What would make you consider, or completely disregard it in the future?

Can’t wait to hear your thoughts!
Pesso

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him
Small Business Evangelist, Square

Join the Square Readers Book Club
Message 1 of 24
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: In the News: Would you bring robots to your business?

It's pretty cool, @mpmpmp22 !

Here are some new developments in the robot & automation space in businesses. Both Chipotle and SweetGreen are working in robots to prepare their bowls!

Chipotle's Robots:

SweetGreen's Robots

23 REPLIES 23
Beta Member

Hi Pesso,

An interesting question especially for a small business (and I mean small).  As most of my items are original designs and hand made, I don't think a robot would fit in however, there may be some possible uses - perhaps assisting with cutting fabric or even a night time security assistant - that would really scare some people don't you think.  Anyway, the technology keeps changing - may just have to wait to see what future holds.  😉

jk

Message 2 of 24
Admin

Thanks @JK_Fiber_Art !

I love the emphasis on handmade, and for sure using some robots would take away from that -- gotta know your niche and stick to it! But could definitely be useful in some cutting or packaging automation -- love the security idea too, haha. For sure never know what the future will bring with tech!

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 3 of 24
Beta Member

Really interesting report from Chick-fil-a, especially around the stats if their customers are interested in this service. I think it points to the fact that most of us aren't very welcome to change, at least in the short term. 

We don't currently use any robots in my wife's business, but I could see the need for it as it scales, especially around packaging deliveries and such! 

Tagging @vijaytupakula as I have seen them mention in a previous post about utilizing automation in their business. 

Message 4 of 24
Admin

That can definitely be the case, @mpmpmp22 ! I'd love to be a fly on the wall and listen into those meetings.

It is really interesting, since this article came out, I've seen Chipotle and SweetGreen announce using robots to put together their bowls in some tests. 

Packaging could definitely be a good place for automation! 

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 5 of 24
Beta Member

Agreed!

Oh woah, had no idea about Chipotle + SweetGreen news. Definitely will be keeping an eye on that!

Message 6 of 24
Admin

It's pretty cool, @mpmpmp22 !

Here are some new developments in the robot & automation space in businesses. Both Chipotle and SweetGreen are working in robots to prepare their bowls!

Chipotle's Robots:

SweetGreen's Robots

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 7 of 24
Beta Member

This is super cool!! 👏

Message 8 of 24
Beta Member

Hello everyone, Vijay here. I'm thrilled to be part of this discussion. In my journey with Cate AI in the restaurant industry, I've learned that automation is more than just a shortcut – it's a way to enhance customer experiences. For example, AI does a great job with routine tasks like taking orders, but where it excels is in adding a personal touch to customer service, a key focus for us at Cate.

Here's an interesting insight: While developing Cate AI, we visited numerous restaurants and chatted with staff during quieter hours. We noticed a common theme – most staff members were not fans of answering calls during busy times. One chef even mentioned they preferred an automated response directing callers to order online or call back later, rather than interrupting their workflow.

I believe that while every tech company emphasizes the importance of technology complementing human efforts, not replacing them, there's more to it. Just as we moved from handwritten bills to cash registers and now to cloud-based POS systems, self ordering kiosks, each step has helped businesses become more efficient. In today's fast-paced environment, especially for growing businesses, incorporating some form of robotic assistance seems almost necessary to meet increasing demands and I want every small business owner to afford for this tech not just chain restaurants like Chick-fil-A or Sweet Greens (by the way, I am big fan of their bowls 😋). 

I'm eager to hear from others – how are you integrating technology with the human element in your operations? Any unique experiences or insights to share?

Message 9 of 24
Super Seller

There is nothing my 5-year-old and I love more than going to hot pot just so we can order from the robot and have it delivered to our table!  While it would totally creep me out to hang out with one all day I do love getting to use tech as a customer.  It just makes things fun.  I see where fast food/fast casual could employ this type of tech efficiently.  With the rising cost of minimum wages and workers comp insurance, etc robots feel like a good a good way to lower costs BUT I think that is a slippery slope. 

At a Dr apt the other day I had to use a kiosk to check in and preregister, etc and it was a nightmare.  As someone who loves tech this felt off in a medical setting and the dang thing didn't even work. 

Doran

Esthetician
Haute Beauty Guide
Message 10 of 24
Admin

I love that, @Doran ! I've never done it but I am also basically a five year old and would love to play with some food robots. Building out a novelty like that as part of the business model sounds like a really great way to do that -- love the fun aspect.

Great point -- cost cutting can definitely be a slippery slope and can go too far to take out the human element.

Interesting about the kiosk there. Have you used kiosks that you do like, or is it all of them?

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 11 of 24
Super Seller

I use them all the time.  Most restaurants use the Yelp waiting list kiosk and it works fine but the one at the DR was a nightmare.  It was too much information to input and then scan and then it kept freezing.  It feels when I'm giving over super sensitive information there should be a more personal interaction.  Signing up for a reservation waitlist I'll kiosk all day.

Doran

Esthetician
Haute Beauty Guide
Message 12 of 24
Admin

Thanks @Doran --

Good to know that not all of them are as terrible -- but I hope they hear the feedback and improve things to make a better experience! 

Automation definitely doesn't work everywhere for sure-

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 13 of 24

As a doctor I will tell you - Kiosks for check in are nightmares not only for you but for us as well. For some reason, tech that is used in medical field is outdated by generations of newer software. It has to do with privacy and all the other regulations but also has to do with doctors who have no clue what they buying and just blindly accept what is given... Speaking of robots, I would love to have Chat GPT (old one, the one that actually was interesting to converse and remembered things) based robot that would interact with patients in a physical form in the clinic, while I am running late. You may ask why not humans (nurses, MAs, receptionists etc)? Oh they temperamental, they have egos and "their own jobs to do". We, doctors, need a 100% loyal, never questioning, absolutely and always happy customer service agent who is also knowledgeable and can come up with an answer for 90 years old the same way as they would have an answer for 2 years old - only a robot can do that.

Message 14 of 24
Super Seller

The only way I could think of using robots or automation in our business(clothing) would be packing and shipping of orders. That would take a lot of work off of us. 

But if we could get a robot/android like C-3PO or Data from STNG. I think we would have a lot visitors just to see them and maybe increase sales. 🙂

Randy Fulk
Korie's Kloset
Big Bows & Sassy Clothes.
Message 15 of 24
Admin

Thanks @rtfulk ! Packaging and shipping is a great opportunity for automation, and that's great that it could take off some of the work. Is there a way you could pursue that? Is it realistic?

Yesssss, that would be so cool! Gotta love a Concierge-Bot, haha

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 16 of 24
Super Seller

First, let me say how interesting it is that there is an art to scooping ice cream to get the longevity out of the cart and not waste product…the things that go on behind the scenes (awesome).  Yes I’m open to the idea.  I own a nail salon in Charlotte, NC…we were actually thinking about getting two of those nail art robotic machines.  Should help out the techs that aren’t as talented in hand drawn nail art.  The only disadvantage is that it only does one nail at a time…so if someone want all 10 it will be a little time consuming…but they can upload photos and the machine can duplicate the image.  I think clients would love that…especially if it’s a photo of themselves or maybe a significant other.  

Message 17 of 24
Admin

Thanks @Stacelyn24 -- there is so much art and science behind it! Gotta get the scoops just right, and not go too deep -- just scrape the top of the tub evenly!

Oooh, nail art machines sound really cool. Even if it's just 1 at a time, it can be a novelty add on which could attract some new customers, get existing ones to pay a bit more, and take some pressure off of your staff. So. Cool. Is that something you're actively looking into?

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 18 of 24
Super Seller

Yes we're going to view some next week.  I'll keep you posted if they will be a good fit or not 🙂

Message 19 of 24
Admin

Amazing, @Stacelyn24 ! Can't wait to hear all about it-

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 20 of 24
Super Seller

I firmly believe the rush for AI and robots is much like the rush for Crypto with a FOMO and a serious misunderstanding of the fundamentals of business.

I'm not a luddite and I firmly believe technology can be a good thing but companies have time and time again shown that they can't do the right thing without serious Government oversight. Wage theft in the US is over $100 billion a year while wage stagnation has been a serious issue for decades now. Imagine the buying power or technological improvements we could have had if companies would do the right thing without oversight and slaps on the wrist when caught.

My issue with robots is that companies will claim it will free workers up to do other tasks but the end goal is to reduce costs, which really means to reduce head count. That reduction in head count comes at a cost as fewer people have the buying power to contribute to the economy, we already see it daily with a rise in homelessness, crime increases, and a complete lack of social services.

Only so many people can retrain after decades in an industry and teaching old dogs new tricks is hard for a reason, incremental progress is great but companies can start by doing the right thing without putting profit over people at any costs.

As a consumer if companies want to employ robots they better have a track record of taking care of their existing employees otherwise to me they're not innovating, they're just figuring out a way to exploit a robot instead of a human.

www.PartyManiaBethesda.com
Please Require Customers to pick time/date at checkout for Square online. Thanks!
Message 21 of 24