x

Adding Spirits as a single measure and double measure

Hi,  I am having real problems getting my head around how to set up spirits on squatre POS.

Let's say a bottle containing 700ml of spirit is sold as a single with 25ml, and a double with 50ml, how do I set that up to track stock?  I'm told it can be done but can't find an idiots guide or any examples.

Help please

Thanks

Dave

Message 1 of 6
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@HotBoxLive ;

The issue is you can not just do it as you would think you would need to set this up as a Sell by Units.

Here is a link to the article about this: 7237-stock-conversion-sell-by 

The issue might be that this is behind the Square for Retail Subscription, according to the First line in the link; " With Stock Conversion, Square for Retail subscribers can manage inventory when selling items in different units of measure. "

This was a little confusing but can be done.  

700 ml 

50 ml double

25ml single...

Basically you would need to specify that the 25 ml = 1 shot

the 50 ml = 2 of the 25 ml shot

and the 700 ml is = to 28 of the 1 shot (25ml)

The other article is called Stock Conversions which has an example with a 1 bottle of wine = 4 Glasses of wine

here is that link 5957-inventory-plus 

It took me a day or 2 to get this feature setup and working correctly, but I did it.  The only issue I have is the rounding error to show stock levels.  If i show 80 Tapers, Square would say I have 1 Case to sell, which is 144 Tapers but I only have 80.  Since 80/144 = .5556, Square rounds up since this is over .5,  just so you are aware of that.

If you have problems post screen shots in this thread and I might be able to help.  I did set this up in my account for Candles...

1 Case is = to 144 taper

there are 12 Boxes to a Case

1 Box has 12 Tapers

or I can sell 1 Taper individually 

and this all pulls from 1 item inventory with 3 different SKU's

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @HotBoxLive, thanks for reaching out and asking for help!! 🎉

Setting up inventory can be kind of confusing. I am tagging some of our super sellers who can provide their expertise. Thank you, @Candlestore @PartyManiaMD @TheRealChipA🙏😊

Message 2 of 6
Super Seller

Best Answer

@HotBoxLive ;

The issue is you can not just do it as you would think you would need to set this up as a Sell by Units.

Here is a link to the article about this: 7237-stock-conversion-sell-by 

The issue might be that this is behind the Square for Retail Subscription, according to the First line in the link; " With Stock Conversion, Square for Retail subscribers can manage inventory when selling items in different units of measure. "

This was a little confusing but can be done.  

700 ml 

50 ml double

25ml single...

Basically you would need to specify that the 25 ml = 1 shot

the 50 ml = 2 of the 25 ml shot

and the 700 ml is = to 28 of the 1 shot (25ml)

The other article is called Stock Conversions which has an example with a 1 bottle of wine = 4 Glasses of wine

here is that link 5957-inventory-plus 

It took me a day or 2 to get this feature setup and working correctly, but I did it.  The only issue I have is the rounding error to show stock levels.  If i show 80 Tapers, Square would say I have 1 Case to sell, which is 144 Tapers but I only have 80.  Since 80/144 = .5556, Square rounds up since this is over .5,  just so you are aware of that.

If you have problems post screen shots in this thread and I might be able to help.  I did set this up in my account for Candles...

1 Case is = to 144 taper

there are 12 Boxes to a Case

1 Box has 12 Tapers

or I can sell 1 Taper individually 

and this all pulls from 1 item inventory with 3 different SKU's

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 3 of 6

Hi Keith

You are a gentleman & a scholar, thanks for explaining this so clearly!

Thanks

Dave

Message 4 of 6

Hi,  so I finally got round to setting up a couple of test items and all the stock links and controls well, however there is a problem.  If we look at wine for instance, when we select the item on the pos - the first item that comes up is bottle, then bottle 125 ML (SMALL), then bottle 250ML (LARGE). (this is in spite of me having them ordered correctly in items).  Obviously I would much rather also just have descriptons as bottle, 125ML Small, and 250 ML Large, as per the variation name I have.  The next issue is that the first item (bottle) defaults to 1 unit, but the other units default to 0 , which means another step on the POS system.

We are a very busy bar and would rather not add to the time taken to enter items on the POS.

I have received an email from square customer services stating the following about these issues (name removed)

Hi David,

This is xxxx, from Square Customer Success. Hope you are doing okay! I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us regarding your issue with the displaying of stock-converted items on your Point of Sale.

I have spoken to several teams about the problem, none of whom were able to provide a method of achieving your aim. 

I have therefore created a Feature Request, so that our Engineering team can look into the possibility of implementing these suggestions in an upcoming update. 

My sincere apologies for the inconvenience. I am hopeful that the team will recognise the value of this request in a busy bar environment.

If there's anything else I can do to help you, please contact me and I will do what I can to assist.

Kind Regards,

xxx
Square Customer Success

It seems such ashame that what seems like pretty basic coding issues can't be resolved / overcome in some way.  Square seems like a great system apart from this part, which looks very uncompleted.

As an aside, there is quite a bit of negative feedback about this section of the site, and although I haven't left yet, when I am asked as a square user, by members of the Music Venue Alliance, what square is like, I don't recommend it bacause of this issue. 

I don't have permission to upload images, so please exceuse the wordy reply

Best

Dave

Message 5 of 6
Admin

Hi @HotBoxLive, just jumping in to provide any help I can 🙂.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the first item (bottle) defaults to 1 unit, but the other units default to 0". Are you able to provide more details here?

Could you also confirm if you are subscribed to Square for Retail Free or Plus ? 

Screenshots would be really helpful in this case, but it seems you're not able to upload images. You can either click on the camera icon to insert a photo, or directly drag the picture in the text box. Are you getting an error message when trying to add a screenshot? 

Message 6 of 6