x
Beta Member

Can I Permanently Opt-Out of the new POS redesign?

I got a notification a couple days ago inviting me to try out the "new Square Point of Sale" - so I tried it out. It is horrible, in my opinion. It claimed to be faster, but how can it be faster when my muscle memory (and that of the staff I've trained on the current POS) is now useless. When I have a dinner rush, I can't fumble around with a new interface trying to do what I need to do. So is there a way to permanently Opt-Out of the new POS redesign? I know I can turn off auto-updates in the App Store for the iPad, though that doesn't seem like the best solution. When I "revert to previous experience," it tells me "Reverting to the previous experience is temporary," so I'm assuming this is going to just be the new POS interface unfortunately. I think this is a Beta test currently; here's the only info I can find -> https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/7173-square-point-of-sale-redesign-public-beta

Lucky Thai
Message 1 of 13
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Can I Permanently Opt-Out of the new POS redesign?

While I can't speak to the rollout plan for this redesign, I can say that when our teams finalize changes to our app, we do include them in new Square Point of Sale app updates. Whether or not these design changes are included in our next updates, we will recommend that you update your app as to avoid any troubles with accepting payments, @luckythaitn.

It's always best to run the most updated version of our app to avoid running into issues!

12 REPLIES 12
Alumni

While I can't speak to the rollout plan for this redesign, I can say that when our teams finalize changes to our app, we do include them in new Square Point of Sale app updates. Whether or not these design changes are included in our next updates, we will recommend that you update your app as to avoid any troubles with accepting payments, @luckythaitn.

It's always best to run the most updated version of our app to avoid running into issues!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 13
Beta Member

Well, that's unfortunate. The new redesign is not "faster" in any demonstrable way and slows down our team in fulfilling orders. Is there somewhere I can give detailed feedback on this redesign before it is thrust onto us permanently?

Lucky Thai
Message 3 of 13

We also 'reverted' due to the fact that the 'new Square POS' is buggy on our Ipad Air running Mac OS 12.5.2 with the Square Stand.  In checkout using the 'keypad' on the Ipad, the program would consistently miss the second keyed in number.  The only way around this would be to wait 2 seconds between each keyed in number--slowing things down immensely.  I truly hope this is just a beta bug and we won't have to get rid of our whole ipad just for an upgrade of software.

Message 4 of 13
Beta Member

The new design is definately slower for me also.  As mentioned, pressing the key usually misses second key pressed when you're typing at the normal speed we're used to with previous version of POS.  And we use barcode scanner 90% of the time and when we try to scan things fast it doesn't register.  We must scan them at speed of one item and belief pause then scan, pause... before we were able to go beep, beep beep beep... no problem.

So I was wondering, would upgrading to a newer model of ipad will solve this issue?  I'm using ipad air 1 (A1476) right now.  Also another problem with the new designed POS is that program will shut down by it self on average 5-6 time throughout the day.  I don't know what is causing this, because it's doesn't seem like it shuts down at same operation.  Seems totally random.  And to start the POS app again, takes about 30 seconds to load few thousand items that we have.  Kind of akward moment with with customer waiting for some of not so social employees.

Does anyone with newer ipad on the square stand have same issues as me?  after about 4 years of everyday beating, I do think it's time to retire current ipad, but wanted to know if more newer and expensive ipad version have advantage than the older version ipad.

Message 5 of 13

Has there been any movement in fixing or addressing this lag in the new experience keypad? All of the above comments are still true, and my staff is frustrated by the hardware/software inefficiency. I am ready to switch POS systems and move to some other system.

Message 6 of 13
Square Community Moderator

Hey, @Seafarers At this time my best suggestion is to Revert to the previous experience while our team works on improving the experience here. As a reminder this can be accomplished by visiting More > Settings > Checkout > "Revert to previous experience".

JJ
Message 7 of 13

Jj _ thank you for your reply. But when i revert to pervious experience, my printer and cash drawer stops responding to sales transa.  They have always worked before. No changes in hardware. 

Message 8 of 13

This is a strange behavior @Seafares. I recommend reaching out to our support team for them to investigate what exactly is causing this outcome.

JJ
Message 9 of 13

How would I revert to a previous experience for Square for Resturants? This latest update is wreaking absolute havok with front of house and back of house.

Message 10 of 13

Also this doesnt even work for an actual POS system.  It works on your phone or tablet or whatever but it doesnt revert back if you have the actual pos with card reader

Message 11 of 13

As the team gets all platforms to the new version of our Point of Sale experience they will start deprecating the ability to revert back to the Previous Experience. This might be the reason you are not seeing this option on your Point of Sale @hbomb1985

JJ
Message 12 of 13
Beta Member

According to the community, the new redesign is giving a bad experience. For me, I prefer the original design and do not want to "upgrade" as it does nothing but HOPE there are no bugs to be found. People spent years helping to provide feedback from the bugs they encountered and reached a point where everyone seems to be comfortable. It has been working fairly well before this new look. Now, a new design has been created for the community to search for new bugs. PLEASE, give us the option to stay with the original design. 

Message 13 of 13