x

Can I load a gift card without payment?

I want to load some money on a few gift cards to give them away as a promotion.  Is there a way to do this without having to actually pay for them myself as if I was a customer buying them?

Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

yes, First you will need to create a 100% discount.  https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/3955-create-and-manage-discounts

next, you can load a gift card with $50 like normal, then apply a 100% discount, Then proceed to a cash checkout for $0.  the card will have $50 but no money or fees will have changed hands.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Super Seller

Best Answer

yes, First you will need to create a 100% discount.  https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/3955-create-and-manage-discounts

next, you can load a gift card with $50 like normal, then apply a 100% discount, Then proceed to a cash checkout for $0.  the card will have $50 but no money or fees will have changed hands.

Message 2 of 10

PURE GENIUS!!!

Message 3 of 10

works great!  Great tip.

Message 4 of 10
Admin

😀 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 5 of 10

Perfectly answered the question I was thinking about. Radio show in the area sells Gift Cards for 20% off, and gives 60% back to business in advertising credits. Now I can give the radio station the promo code to create free-to-me eGift cards since no money exchanges hands.

Message 6 of 10

I'd like to bribe customers' for their email address in exchange for a $5 egift card that can only be used once.  Thought I could send also send them to customers that I haven't seen in a while.  How can I do this without paying for the egiftcard myself?

Ed

Message 7 of 10
Alumni

The best answer on this thread I moved you to gotcha covered. 

@Laundryguy

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 10

Hello!  I need to donate a gift card to a customer and am not sure how to bi-pass the payment screen?  We are not using the plastic cards from Square, rather I have some printed ones we made I'd like to use.  How can I load a manual gift card without taking payment?

Message 9 of 10
Alumni

If your gift cards aren't issued by Square, you won't be able to load them using the POS. However, you can record the payment in the POS. Create a gift card item, then apply a 100% discount for $0 payment. 

When your customer is ready to redeem, process the payment as Other Gift Card or Certificate at checkout

@bonjourbakery

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 10