x

Has anyone tried using a headphone jack to USB C on an Android with no headphone jack?

Has anyone tried using a headphone jack to USB C on an Android with no headphone jack? Just got a Samsung S21 5G.  It only has a USB C connector.  I've used it with a headphone using a headphone converter cable. Has anyone tried using the converter cable with the Magstripe Reader? The contactless reader works great.

Message 1 of 19
2 Best Answers
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi Christie1954,

We see its your first time posting in the Seller community, welcome!

Having a card reader that fits a USB-C is a well noted request for sure. Our product team is aware of all the outreach from our Customers too. Hopefully this is something that can change in the future.

Have you ever considered our Contactless and Chip reader? no plugs required for it to function since it connects via bluetooth.

Look forward to reading your thoughts!

Frida
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 19

Best Answer

Hi @heatherfbeads - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋 I'm happy to provide you with some more information on this.

If your device doesn't have a headphone jack, we recommend using the Square contactless and chip reader for a fast, seamless payment experience on all devices – not just those without a headphone jack. To accept magstripe-only cards, or gift cards, we recommend using the Apple Lightning to Headphone Jack adapter (included with the iPhone 7) to connect your Square magstripe reader.

You might also try a third-party USB-C to 3.5mm audio adapter, but please note that Square has not officially tested compatibility between the magstripe reader and other third-party adapters.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let us know if you have any additional questions.

Violet

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Just bought a Samsung USB C to 3.5mm Audio jack and plugged in the Square Swipe reader. Once I made sure it was fully plugged in, the swipe reader worked fine. Since it is a short cable it won't be as secure as when the device is plugged into the phone, however, it will work if needed.

Message 2 of 19

I got a USB C 3.5mm female headphone adapter. It will not work on my s21 5g

Message 3 of 19

Hmmm.  I have an S21 5G and bought the Samsung adaptor cable and it not only works fine with headphones, it also works with my Square card stripe reader. It only cost a couple of dollars more.

Message 4 of 19

Best Answer

Hi Christie1954,

We see its your first time posting in the Seller community, welcome!

Having a card reader that fits a USB-C is a well noted request for sure. Our product team is aware of all the outreach from our Customers too. Hopefully this is something that can change in the future.

Have you ever considered our Contactless and Chip reader? no plugs required for it to function since it connects via bluetooth.

Look forward to reading your thoughts!

Frida
Message 5 of 19

Will consider this for later. Thanks!

Message 6 of 19
Beta Member

I just purchased the Galaxy S21 phone and it has no headphone jack.  I have purchased two different dongles and neither work for my square reader.  I am sure the readers are fine since I handed my square to a friend to plug into her phone and it worked fine for her to process a credit card.  Where can I purchase a dongle that will work with a square reader?  I expected square to sell this simple adapter so I can continue to use my square reader with a USB-C connection or a USB-C to headphone jack.

Message 7 of 19

Best Answer

Hi @heatherfbeads - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋 I'm happy to provide you with some more information on this.

If your device doesn't have a headphone jack, we recommend using the Square contactless and chip reader for a fast, seamless payment experience on all devices – not just those without a headphone jack. To accept magstripe-only cards, or gift cards, we recommend using the Apple Lightning to Headphone Jack adapter (included with the iPhone 7) to connect your Square magstripe reader.

You might also try a third-party USB-C to 3.5mm audio adapter, but please note that Square has not officially tested compatibility between the magstripe reader and other third-party adapters.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let us know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Message 8 of 19

Sounds like square is trying to force us to buy a $50.00 reader to replace the magstripe reader!!!!

Message 9 of 19

The thing is, gift cards don't come with all those "fancy" electronics, and MUST be swiped...

I don't get them a lot, but I'll need to do that maybe 10 times in a farmers' market season...

Message 10 of 19

Your feedback is valid @Chef_Giovanni. You should consider checking @RLancas reply where he mentioned that a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter worked for him to be able to connect a reader to their phone. 

JJ
Message 11 of 19

I CANNOT figure this out either!!  Have you found a way yet?

Message 12 of 19

@mrslindsaykirby You should checkout my earlier comment in this thread.  In that thread I mention that I bought a USB C to 3.5mm headphone jack so I could use an old Square swipe attachment.  Before I tested that attachment I tested with a couple of headphone/headsets that I have, specifically an Mpow and AKG.  They worked real well also. If the manufacturer of you phone makes a connector, I recommend using that one.  My phone is a Samsung so I got the Samsung connector. Hope it works for you.

Message 13 of 19

Free strip doesn't fit in my android. What do I need?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original by a Community Moderator to help with searching threads. 

Message 14 of 19

New phone with no port to plug in the card reader.  Have to do a manual entry.  Any work around to avoid manual entry additional charge?

Message 15 of 19
Super Seller

Hey @thervacademy.  Does you phone have plug-in charging capability?  Or is that wireless, too?  What kind of phone is it?

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook

“Take what you like, take what works, leave the rest!”
Message 16 of 19

It does have a charge port.  Samsung 22 Ultra

Message 17 of 19
Super Seller

According to Square’s device compatibility page, the only reader that will work for you is their contactless chip reader.  It only works for chip cards, tap cards and contactless payments like Apple/Google Pay.  For magstripe cards, you’d have to keep keying them manually, but thankfully there are not a lot of those left in the world!  I looked at a couple of threads here to see if maybe you could use the magstripe reader with a USB-C adaptor, but the results were very mixed.  Sometimes those work, sometimes they don’t.  And Square doesn’t guarantee using their magstripe reader with an adaptor will always have the desired results.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook

“Take what you like, take what works, leave the rest!”
Message 18 of 19

Thank you!  I appreciate the response!

Message 19 of 19