x

How do I remove a return from a current sale?

I sell yarn. Sometimes someone will return a skein of yarn (no receipt) to buy new yarn. If there's a receipt, I can issue a refund for the 1 item and then just charge the rest, but it would be so much easier if there were an option to just process that value as a return at the time of sale, and not have to worry about when it was purchased; if they paid with a card, reimbursement and new charge, etc. Also, I do paper gift certificates right now, and have no way to remove that from my system without it looking like I was paid twice. Are these problems I should be taking to Square itself?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller

@knittingneedles 

First, your return. There are two possibilities, here.  I am assuming that you do NOT have inventory tracking turned on.

1. This option works if you are just exchanging one skein of yarn for another, with no worries about cost difference.  Just create a percentage discount code that is 100% (call it “Exchange” or something like that.)  Then, when you ring in the new sale, go ahead and add the new item and scroll down to the bottom of the item page to toggle on the new discount code.
  2. This option works if you will not always be discount new items 100% — for example, if they return a skein of yarn and are buying a dozen needles instead.  Create a dollar discount code called “Returns,” or something like that.  Leave its value blank  to indicate you will provide the real discount for each transaction. Ring up their new sale, then add the “Returns” discount code to the transaction, then enter the amount of the returned item(s).

Second, I’m not sure I completely understand your question about paper gift certificates, though.  Can you elaborate so I know what you are asking there?

Thanks!

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!
Message 2 of 2