x

How do I update just 1 field in customer directory in bulk?

Hello SC, I'm super new to Square.  We are using Square for my kids' school's Booster Club concession sales.  We just had a big conference track event this past weekend and used Square for the first time.  In addition to credit cards, we also accepted cash and school account billings.  I imported student data (only first and last names, unique student ID, grade) into the directory so that we could capture student info for those transactions.  Now after the event, I'm exporting the transactions csv and realize that I should've imported the "unique student ID" into the "reference ID" field because that is the only other field in the transaction csv (other than name) pulled from the customer profile.  I had the student ID imported into the Company field.

I need to update all the customer profiles so that the reference ID field is populated with the student ID.  I tried importing a new file (with just 1 customer) and it just created a duplicate profile. I read that the system will only flag duplicates with the same email address or phone number.  I don't have that information.  How do I do this in bulk without creating duplicate profiles?

I also manually merged the duplicate profiles for that 1 customer mentioned above and it did merged them, but since the "reference ID" field was already populated with the student's grade, the student ID could not be merged.  

Thank you in advance!! 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Hi @pAwtymom,

Welcome to The Seller Community. That is really great question!

Adding a separate reference id  will indeed duplicate entries. At this moment what you are asking for is a feature request.  I’ve shared your  request with our Product Team, as they are constantly improving our products based on feedback like this. 

In the meantime, keep an eye out for any updates, here, in our Seller Community. And please let me know if I can help in any other way?

Thank you!

Message 2 of 2