x

Hub power consumption/supply

Hello 🙂

We're selling in a large exhibition space in a couple of weeks. Using Terminal via wifi isn't an option (because the wifi has a web-based login which Terminal won't support).

So we've had to buy a wired Ethernet connection and Hub. 

However, we now need power to the Hub and a mains supply isn't easily/cheaply an option.  Can anyone give me power consumption stats for the Hub - just being used for ethernet, no peripherals - and/or a view on whether it could be powered from (eg) a decent spec portable phone charger or larger "camping"-type battery? This can be charged overnight, but needs to power the Hub all day.

TIA for any pointers!

Message 1 of 3
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

The hub itself doesn’t sap much power at all, so if you make sure the terminal is fully charged at the start of the day a decent USB C power bank (with PD) should do the trick no problem. I’d recommend one that can supply 40-60w over PD as this will match the mains adaptor. 

You’ll be keeping the terminal charged up with the power bank, so if you’re concerned you could alway get two (maybe leave one in the box & return if it never needs to be used?) - so it’s not just the power consumption of the hub but how much you’re going to use the terminal (you can’t power the hub & not be charging the terminal). 

Pizza Is Chill

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

Best Answer

The hub itself doesn’t sap much power at all, so if you make sure the terminal is fully charged at the start of the day a decent USB C power bank (with PD) should do the trick no problem. I’d recommend one that can supply 40-60w over PD as this will match the mains adaptor. 

You’ll be keeping the terminal charged up with the power bank, so if you’re concerned you could alway get two (maybe leave one in the box & return if it never needs to be used?) - so it’s not just the power consumption of the hub but how much you’re going to use the terminal (you can’t power the hub & not be charging the terminal). 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 2 of 3

That’s really helpful, thanks - yes, I’d clocked the throughput to the Terminal too.

Message 3 of 3