x
Admin

Instant Transfer: Which Cards are Supported?

How do I know if my debit card will be supported for Instant Transfer?

Can I use my Prepaid Card?

Is there a list of supported debit cards?

What do I do if my debit card is not supported?

[This post was updated by moderator in 2019 to reflect a name change - deposits are now called transfers.]

Message 1 of 63
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hello everyone!

Instant transfer allows for Square Sellers to have their funds deposited and made available to them immediately.

While we don’t have a list of supported cards to share, instant transfer works with most standard, U.S.-issued Visa or MasterCard debit cards. These debit cards should be issued by a bank or credit union, and linked to a transactional checking account. 

This means that Credit cards, ATM, PayPal, or prepaid bank cards are not supported.

Instant transfer uses a variety of card networks to send funds instantly. So for every debit card, both the card network and bank must be set up to receive funds instantly.

The only way to truly know if your debit card is supported is to attempt to link your card, and card compatibility can change.

We're always working to include more card options; which is to say, even if your card isn't supported now, that may not always be the case! I'll also add that if your card is unsupported and you have more than one debit card, we encourage you to try linking additional cards, as these may be successful.

For more details and information, check out our Support Center article: instant transfer

[This post was updated by moderator in 2019 to reflect a name change - deposits are now called transfers.]

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 63
62 REPLIES 62

Best Answer

Hello everyone!

Instant transfer allows for Square Sellers to have their funds deposited and made available to them immediately.

While we don’t have a list of supported cards to share, instant transfer works with most standard, U.S.-issued Visa or MasterCard debit cards. These debit cards should be issued by a bank or credit union, and linked to a transactional checking account. 

This means that Credit cards, ATM, PayPal, or prepaid bank cards are not supported.

Instant transfer uses a variety of card networks to send funds instantly. So for every debit card, both the card network and bank must be set up to receive funds instantly.

The only way to truly know if your debit card is supported is to attempt to link your card, and card compatibility can change.

We're always working to include more card options; which is to say, even if your card isn't supported now, that may not always be the case! I'll also add that if your card is unsupported and you have more than one debit card, we encourage you to try linking additional cards, as these may be successful.

For more details and information, check out our Support Center article: instant transfer

Message 2 of 63

Hi! I am using my regular business checking account with bank of america debit card to do instant deposits. It's not working. I don't know why though...been having it for years and It's a basic regular checking account 

Message 3 of 63

I am having the same problem. It was working fine for about a month and now it keeps coming up as an unsupported card. I use Bank of America as well.

Message 4 of 63
Admin

Hi @lm1 and @dis — thanks for flagging this and I'm sorry for the frustration.

Update: Bank of America Small Business Banking debit cards are now supported with instant transfer!  It sounds like there may be an issue with BOA and it's ability to support this feature. This means most BOA debit cards can be linked but if you have trouble with that card you can try linking a different debit card if you have one, or you can count on your deposits being sent based on our next-business day transfer schedule.

I hope this helps make things more clear for now.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 5 of 63

I am having issues that my instant deposit is sent but then that night my bank kicks it back out I used instant deposit since the begining what changed? My bank said you changed how they were being sent help!!

Message 6 of 63
Square

Sorry to hear about the trouble, @Hair4alivin

We're unable to look into account specific issues here in the Community, as it's public. If you haven't already, please contact our Support team directly. We'll take a closer look!

Message 7 of 63

I do have an open case my bank is telling me the problem is square used to do instant deposit as a return now its done as an ATM deposit

Message 8 of 63

How do I edit my listings? Also, please verify that my debit card is associated with Square.com

Message 9 of 63

Hi @PotByrne! Welcome to the Community.

I'm not sure what you mean by "edit my listings". Can you be more specific?

I couldn't verify your debit card for you since we don't have access to account specifics here from the Community either. That would be something you'd need to contact our CS team about.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 63

I'm having trouble with Instant Transfers accepting my business debit card.  It is linked to my bank account,  the message kept telling me that the debit card is unsupported! The debit card should be supported because it's a Mastercard in the United States.  It's not a gift card, or PayPal, or out of the US.  I'm confused 😞

Message 11 of 63

Hi there, @Hairport888 👋 Thanks for checking in here!

It's hard for us to determine the exact reasoning behind why your debit card is not supported - at least here on the Seller Community. It is possible that your card-holder agreement does not allow for Instant Deposit, which is considered a somewhat new technology in mobile banking.

I would recommend reaching out to our Support Team directly if you'd like us to take a look at the decline reasoning from our side. 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 12 of 63

I'm having the same issue with a First Interstate Business Debit. Will this be remedied?

Message 13 of 63

I'm having the exact same problem. Instant deposit worked for weeks,then suddenly said my card was not supported out of the blue. I keep reentering the card info and it keeps rejecting it. Why did it once work but now it's not??

Message 14 of 63

@Missclerou Sorry to hear this has happened. 

Unfortunately this feature depends on both the bank as well as your card. 

Compatibility can change, so if you're receiving a rejection, your card is no longer supported.

Hopefully we can get your card supported in the near future. Keep checking by attempting to link your card, as it can become compatible again. 

In the meantime, you'll need to link another card. 

Message 15 of 63

Hi EJ. My BOA debit card no longer works for Instant Deposits. I understand this is a BOA specific issue. I need to find an alternate bank so that I can utilize this feature for my business. I need direction about supported banks, so that I don't waste time opening an account specifically to utilize the Instant Deposit feature. Can't just keep opening accounts until I find one that works. There was no notice about the BOA no longer being supported, so it'd be great if you could ease this transition by steering me toward an approved provider. Thanks.

Message 16 of 63

@Roscoe We were also disappointed that Bank of America no longer supports our sellers ability to deposit funds instantly to their Small Business debit cards (*Do note that this is the only debit card this change should impact).

I don't have a specific bank to point you to, however Instant Deposit is supported by the vast majority of U.S. banks. 

Your fellow sellers would be able to help out with bank recommendations, so hopefully one of them can chime in with their current bank that allows for Instant Deposits. 

Message 17 of 63

All of a sudden my Fifh Third debit card stopped being supported for instant deposit just yesterday. So I doubt BOA is the only one.

Message 18 of 63

ok bank of america just told me that when an instant deposit comes in from you, it just have 0000. so they said it is on your side

Message 19 of 63
Square

Hi @jessieb. While the community is a great place for getting advice from other sellers and finding the answer for general questions, for account specific ones, we'll want to keep things private. Please reach out here so we can follow up with you to sort this out. Thanks a ton! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 20 of 63

My debit card has been linked and working with my instant deposit since April of last year.  My card has not expired or changed and I haven't even edited my debit card info on Square but when I tried to instant deposit my deposit today it said card failed when I tried to edit it and put it in again it says cannot link debit card.  How come it has worked for 11months with no changes and it didn't fail then but is now?  It's a visa debit card.  It said funds could not be sent because card has been declined several times.  How can a debit card decline when I'm just trying to get funds sent to it?  Please help me

Message 21 of 63