x

Multiple categories per item

It seems that the category feature is very limited. I run a plant nursery and Find it very difficult to organize the items. For example:

Plant A is a shrub that is full sun and is a perennial

plant B is a flower that is part sun and an annual

I want a category for full sun, part sun, a category for shrubs, one for flowers, for perennial or annual, etc... this would put each item into multiple categories. It seems this isnt possible through square.

is there a work-around for this? am i missing something?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Alumni

A popular ask, but the option to assign the same item in multiple categories is not doable. Sorry about that. 

@jandr_nursery

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 13

I run a brewery and taproom. I sell beer by the can at retail and wholesale. I had set up the wholesale side as a separate item category to allow me to track sales by each beer style (16) but I would also like to sell the same cans at retail and track a single inventory item. Is that possible?

I have set up each beer style with variations for types of serving already

Message 3 of 13
Admin

Hey @DavidR- Unfortunately there's not a way to have one item in multiple categories and have it pull from the same inventory. I went ahead and moved your question here so that we can better track this feature request.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 4 of 13

This is also problematic for me. I have wine shop with 1500+ items, and assigning multiple categories would not only allow me to track sales more effectively, but also makes for a more user friendly website for browsing our inventory.

A wine may be French, rosé, Provencal, sparkling and organic all at once, and customers might want to search by any of those categories. As a result, I have to use a separate inventory management app which is both an added expense and cumbersome for inventory management; I would much rather create my purchase orders and receive inventory directly in Square.

Message 5 of 13

I too would find the feature to add one item into multiple categories useful. I'm in the bakery/take out/catering business

Message 6 of 13

I'm interested in this as well. I'd like to put some of my items in a "New Release" category along with their original category.

Message 7 of 13

Also here to put my +1 to this request.

We run a plant nursery and urban farm and want to be able to sort our items into categories based off plant type, or light requirements.

We also sell candles, and put them into categories based on scent types.

We have the ability to add them into multiple categories on our Woocommerce store front, and love the feature, until it syncs and Squares lack of multiple categories destroys it.

Message 8 of 13

The ability to use multiple categories would be very useful for me as well!

Message 9 of 13
Square Community Moderator

Thank you for adding your votes to this request, @lkimb991 @BENEVYFARMS! We're continuing to track and advocate for this request, and will keep you in the loop here. 

Message 10 of 13

I also have a wine shop and assigning multiple categories would be incredibly useful for me. It's particularly problematic in website organization and presentation, as others have mentioned here.

Message 11 of 13
Square Community Moderator

Thank you for taking the time to join others requesting this feature @caterio. I will pass this feedback and request to our product team for their visibility. 

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 12 of 13

This seems like such an obvious ask and Square is losing customers without this. I add my vote to this ask. 

Message 13 of 13