x

What products are allowed in Square's early access CBD Program?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: CBD Oils and Balms - Ok with Square?

I'm in a professional forum where we are discussing whether our Square accounts will be terminated for retailing commercially available CBD products such as the balms from CBDclinic.co or ingestible oils such as https://realscientifichempoil.com/ . 

To my knowledge these products contain no THC which is the psychoactive compound in cannabis, and are therefore legal. Can you please advise us on the matter?

Message 1 of 138
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Update (10/3/19):

Good news, folks! We're launching an early access program to support the sale of some CBD products! 🎉

Generally speaking, sellers in the program can accept payments and carry items that meet the following requirements:

• Hemp and hemp-derived CBD products that have less than 0.3% THC in all states excluding Idaho and South Dakota. Payment acceptance is for the US only at this time.
  • No marijuana or marijuana derived products; products that contain more than 0.3% THC, illegal drugs and products that otherwise violate Square’s Payment Terms.
  • No hemp flower.
  • Included items cannot make health claims.

For more details on eligibility, head over to this resource in our Support Center: Accepting Payments for CBD in Square Early Access Program.

👉 To complete an application form and request an invite to join, go to to www.squareup.com/solutions/cbd, then click Get Started👈

Thank you for your patience as we continue to work on this endeavor! We're excited to help our sellers by offering a reliable solution for CBD sales.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 75 of 138
137 REPLIES 137
Admin

Thanks for your post @aablaisdell, great question!

I'm just going to check in with our Compliance team about this and I'll post an update here as soon as I can. Thanks for your patience! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 138
Admin

Hello again!

I asked our team about this and they confirmed that we are unable to support these kinds of products.

While these items may be legal, we are obligated by our agreements with the card networks and other financial institutions that limit our ability to support your business.

I really appreciate that you took the time to check this with us! If you have questions about your account specifically let me know and our Compliance team will be happy to reach out to you directly.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 3 of 138

Thank you, I'll let my colleagues know.

Message 4 of 138

I also would like to use your company for my CBD store. Is their something in the works with the financial institutions to allow sales transactions? 

Message 5 of 138
Admin

Thank you for checking in, @Stvnsnwdy. We surfaced your post with our Compliance Team and we’re unable to support CBD sales at this time. Unfortunately, we’re unable to comment on any future plans for Square’s Payment Terms. Appreciate your understanding—we'll certainly announce any updates as they become available.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 6 of 138

Can we limit the sale of CBD products to cash only transactions when using the Square point of sale system?

Message 7 of 138
Admin

Hi @badgervapes, thanks for the post. To answer your question, no, we cannot support the sale of products that violate our terms of service, and that would include using Square Point of Sale to manage cash-only transactions for these products. We appreciate that you took the time to check in with us.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 8 of 138

any update one the cbd now that it is mainstream and supported by several other cc providers? it is the end of 2018 and even amazon supports it.

Message 9 of 138
Admin

Hey @vistasign, thanks for weighing in with that information. I went to check for any updates, but there isn't anything that I can access and share out right now. We will definitely circle back to this post as soon as any developments come through.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 10 of 138

This is totally unacceptable. CBD is legal so there should not be an issue. I can see Square losing a lot of accounts due to this nonsense.

Message 11 of 138

We are in the horse business, not CBD business, but I feel for those who are making a valid and legal living selling CBD products. Square needs to get with the times... asap!

Message 12 of 138

Hey I posted on here a month ago and square still hasn’t updated so here’s my update for the folks reading

authorize.net

US Bank will now do processing for cbd companies.

enjoy.

Message 13 of 138

I have seen people using square selling CBD and Gun dealers also using Square. Do not know how they are doing it. it's not fair that some people are doing it and the rest of us that are following the rules can't! Not very happy with square right now! I am starting to look at other companies to work with.

Message 14 of 138

Many aren't aware that their credit card processor only lets them use their service for certain sales. Nothing is sent out to anyone. I didn't receive anything from Square stating what they do and do not process.

Message 15 of 138
Super Seller

@ssMarilyn, To be fair on the very first page while signing up you have to check the box saying that you have read Square's Terms, Privacy Policy, and E-Sign Consent and agree to abide by them.  It is up to each person signing up to read the terms of the service, be it Square or PayPal or the free grocery reward card that tracks your sale and sells that info.

Square as a company does have the right to decide that certain activities, such as gambling, and firearms sales are permissible or not.  While I don't agree with all their decisions you have to chose a processor that you feel is the right balance of being safe and not too restrictive.

Message 16 of 138

We opened our Square account long before the sale of CBD. 🙂

Message 17 of 138

Hello Helen!  I have processed an application as a wholesaler of CBD and HEMP bath and Body products.  I was asked to upload a certificate.  I requested the certificate from the seller, and uploaded it.  Your system keeps rejecting it and went as far as to freeze my account.  There are only 3 skus that have the ingredient in them and I will not upload this product to my site as it seems that it is not accepted.  I need you all to release the freeze on my account because my website is going live 8/15.  Thank you! 

~The Body Fair

support@thebodyfair.com

Message 18 of 138

This comment was created from merging the thread "CBD Update?"

Hello, Just checking in to see if there's been any update on whether Square is finally supporting business who want to sell CBD products...

Message 19 of 138

Hey @loveoflavender

I'm not sure if you've seen this thread, but this answer is still up to date. 🙂

Message 20 of 138

Hi, we have a CBD company and the products have less than 0.3% THC if any at all in them. We were under the impression that we could not use square for cc processing and point of sale, but we know a couple of other CBD companies who use square for processing, can you explain this?

Message 21 of 138