x

reverse sales tax

Next month I will be selling at my first in-person craft event and would like to include my local sales tax in the price so as to have a flat cost (ex: $10 price with 10% sales tax includes price before tax of $9.09 + sales tax of .91).   How do I make that happen (assuming I can do that with Square)?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

Hi @craftycardchick.  Square has the option to EITHER have sales tax inclusive prices or sales tax added prices. It is an option for each sales tax you have defined already. 

HOWEVER BE WARNED… 

All states require you to always use one method or the other. If you have already had sales that  added tax, you can switch to inclusive tax but then all of your sales from that point forward must be tax inclusive. You can not mix and match. It is either one method or the other. And if you switch back and forth a lot, you will most likely earn a red flag for possible audit. 

you would be wise to decide which method you want to use and then inform your state/local sales tax authorities first if you are switching methods. 

Regards,

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!
Message 2 of 3

Thanks, Chip. My event isn't for another month, so it will give me time to explore.  My thought was just to make it simple for buyers (i.e., $10 bill vs. cash and coins, etc.).  I'll keep this info handy--thanks again!

Message 3 of 3