x
Beta Member

HELP! On-Line Store Development - Photo Sizes

I currently have my webstore on BigCommerce and want to move it to Square On-line. I uploaded my store, added categories, and all that good stuff but and that's a big. My images are a mess. I even tired creating a new item and adding an image and I can't get them sized. When viewing in the preview pane, the images are too big causing the top to be cut off or the bottom. I've tried changing the ratios and I've chalked it up to...I must be doing something wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions! 

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Beta Member

I know how you feel, mine do the same. Im not sure how to fix this issue as of yet but if you find out, please keep me in mind. You can head over to my site and see what I am talking about https://www.sodakbbqsupply.com

Message 2 of 16
Beta Member

Hi @Robertwf 
I just went to have a look at your site and noticed that only the thumbnails appear but all other photos just do not want to load at all. I have waited a fair amount of time. 
I am wondering if maybe yours are too big? How about your edit just one of the products and change the photos to be no more than 2000 px square (that's my photos size settings). Remove the photos that are currently on that particular product and load the edited photos instead. 
Happy for you to put the link to the product your edited so I can tell you if it's made any difference?

Message 3 of 16
Beta Member

Thank you Robert. I like your site. Your images look nice. I'm to the point that I think I just need to delete everything and start over. I will let you know if I get any other feedback and keep you posted. 

Message 4 of 16
Beta Member

Hi @sylviajvincent 

For all my product images, I have chosen to keep them all square and size them at 2000px square. That's the minimum size setting that's required on Etsy (where I sell a few things too) so that means that I only need to edit my photo once and it works for both the site and Etsy ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

I use this same setting for my categories and my products photos. Obviously, if you use a photo in your banner on the home page, then you'll need to adjust it for that because the banner isn't square. but yeah... Categories and products are 2000px square and it seems to work out ok. 
www.froginthecraft.com is my site if you want to take a look. Not all my products have got photos currently though because I am still in the process or sorting it all out as I realised I have missed quite a few before I got the site up and running. 

Message 5 of 16
Beta Member

Thank you I will give that a try. What editing software did you use to get the photos to the right size? Also, when I click on an item and that item is brought up it zooms it and distorts the image.

Message 6 of 16
Beta Member

Also, if you don't have Photoshop, there are plenty other software available out there, even free ones, though I am sorry but I don't really know them. Here is a list I just googled... I have used GIMP in the past, a very long time ago and it was pretty good too. That's the only one I kind of know.

Capture.PNG

Message 7 of 16
Beta Member

I only ever use Photoshop. 
Do you mean on my website or on yours? (about the image distortion?) and also, do you mean on PC or mobile phone / tablet? 

Message 8 of 16
Beta Member

I meant on my site regarding the image distortion and right now just PC. 

Message 9 of 16
Beta Member

ah yes, well hopefully if you can get the photos to be all the same and of the same size, then the distortion should not happen. 

Message 10 of 16
Beta Member

I have just had a look at my site to check on the photo distortion, and it's not doing that for me as you can see with the screenshots from my PC. 

Product Thumbnail in categoryProduct Thumbnail in categoryProduct imageProduct imageProduct image zoomed inProduct image zoomed in

Message 11 of 16
Beta Member

I found a setting last night where I had checked "zoom". I have turned it off and will reformat the site. 

Message 12 of 16
Super Seller

I set my photos to 1280x1280. I use an app called PhotoRoom to remove the background, but it also has different marketplace setting for Shopify, instagram..etc. I use the Shopify square setting and don't have any problem. I also use an app called image compressor to shrink the file size, it shrinks the size, but doesn't mess with image quality.

Randy Fulk
Korie's Kloset
Big Bows & Sassy Clothes.
Message 13 of 16
Beta Member

Thanks so much Randy. I will give this a try. I'll keep you posted. 

Message 14 of 16

Thank you for that thread. I am just in the process of developing my website, (gifts2give.net), but had not uploaded any photos yet. Now I know how to begin as far as sizing. Something I hadn't thought about, but makes sense.

Message 15 of 16
Admin

Hi @GlenB, welcome to the Community ๐Ÿ‘‹.

Let me know if you need any assistance with your website, or if there's anything else I can help with. 

Message 16 of 16