x
Beta Member

Why is the New Checkout Experience so inefficient compared to the Old one?

Hello Sellers, 

I just wanted to point out how much more inefficient it is using the new checkout experience on the Square Register. I also want to preference that when we were given the option to use the new one, we would revert to the old checkout in the settings. However, after an overnight update it switched to the new one and the option to change can not be found in the settings anymore. 

For items we don't have in our system, that we weigh separately, comes more of a hassle now because the buttons are extremely small and the buttons have been moved to inconvenient spots. It also adds an unnecessary step where instead of one button to confirm it into the ticket, it now becomes two and those buttons are also in different spots. 

To make matters worse, we currently don't do any pickup or delivery for our grocery store and have the option unmarked within the fulfilment settings but it is still apparent on the register. This I believe has caused the register to respond slower to button presses and sometimes not even recognizing the first button push. While we are still paying for the Square Retail Plus because of our huge inventory and to sell online, I am forced to use Square Point of Sale on the register because of how much more faster it is taking customers but now losing the perks I had when using the Retail side. Now to add even more salt to the wound, items that only had a GTIN associated to them on the Square Retail side and not a SKU number now appear with no number at all on the Point of Sale and their GTIN has to be re-entered so that the barcode can recognize it. 

I understand the improvement that Square Retail is supposed to be for those users that pay the premium for it, but the ability to make it faster would be so much more useful instead of being forced to one thing and one thing only. All I ask, is to have the ability to switch between the new and old checkout again.

Thank you! 

Message 1 of 4
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

@092 appreciate you for sharing your feedback with this and sorry to hear about the frustration with the new checkout experience! I'm going to flag this to the appropriate teams to make sure they see this and let you know what I hear back!

Max Pete
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Seller Community

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Best Answer

@092 appreciate you for sharing your feedback with this and sorry to hear about the frustration with the new checkout experience! I'm going to flag this to the appropriate teams to make sure they see this and let you know what I hear back!

Max Pete
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Seller Community
Message 2 of 4
Super Seller

Please send them mine also

Message 3 of 4
Super Seller

I hate that new checkout experience on the Square Register. I stayed on the old checkout until the update forced it on me. To the team’s credit they did correct a couple of things that sellers were complaining about but it’s honestly doubling the time required to check out a customer. I think one of my major complaints is that the old checkout when you sold multiple of a single item it listed the single item price below it then gave the total for the multiple items to the right. The customers could see the prices on the front screen. Now with the change only showing the total price for multiple of the same items the customers question if they are being charged the correct price and I have to manually change the quantity back to 1 item to show them the price then change it back to the correct quantity 

Message 4 of 4