x
Admin

Grow your business: Ask us anything about subscriptions and recurring payments!

👋  Hello Sellers! We were thrilled to have our Subscriptions team drop in for a Q&A on Wednesday, September 1st at noon PT / 3pm ET!

USES_VerveWine_Retail_InventoryManagement_OpeningMovingSortingBoxes_0478_VR_03_Medium.jpg

We recently launched a set of subscription features that unlock the ability to create subscription plans and accept recurring payments with your customers. As we will continue to iterate after this initial launch, our product team wants to hear directly from you.

With that, it was exciting to introduce you to @JenLax, who has been leading the charge with this new set of features. She and her team were eager to hear your thoughts on everything ranging from initial setup—to what you'd like to see more of in the future.

Note on account-specific questions: For your privacy and security, we are not able to address issues related to specific payments, deposits, or account status details in our public forums. If you need assistance on one of those topics, please contact our Customer Success team and they'll be able to take a deeper dive into your account.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 111
1 Best Answer
Community Team

Best Answer

Hello Everyone,

Thanks again for taking the time to share your questions and feedback!

We hope your questions were answered—the experiences you've shared will help us as we continue to iterate based on your feedback.

As we close out this event, we wanted to do a recap on three themes that came up frequently:

Subscription fulfillment support: Though not currently available, we plan to offer this in early 2022.

Advanced Seller and Buyer Controls for Subscriptions: We will offer pause/resume capability on subscriptions (for both sellers and customers) as well as custom billing dates on subscriptions later this year (2021). 

Square Online integration: We hope to have full integration with Square Online in 2022 which will offer fulfillment flows with online inventory as well as deeper access to customer information.

Get started using subscriptions today - no monthly fees and only 2.9% + 30¢ per transaction on each subscription, regardless of whether the card is present or not present.

The subscriptions product will see lots of exciting changes in the next six months and beyond. As we work on what things to prioritize, we love to hear from sellers on what controls and features are most important. Please keep sharing here in the Seller Community. We are listening!

Again, thanks for your participation.

For a review of other products we featured this month within the Seller Community, take a look at this post: Upcoming Events in Seller Community, July Edition.

View Best Answer >

Message 78 of 111
110 REPLIES 110
Super Seller

Hello @Tom and thanks for focusing on this topic! I don't know much about creating a subscription plan, but I've been curious for some time now. A lot of businesses are offering these and I have thought about trying to start something for my own business; perhaps a themed gift box-of-the-month or something like that. I'm looking forward to this Q&A because even though I don't have experience with it yet, I think reading other's questions will help me get motivated to think about this and start developing, marketing, and eventually SELLING it through Square.

I think my first question would be how my customers would signup and then be able to manage their plan. Is there a website or portal, or something special I would have to have coded on my Weebly/Square online site to help administer a subscription service? And is this something that could also be managed in-store right from my Square Register if I'm talking to a customer face-to-face?

Message 2 of 111
Community Team

There are a few different ways to allow customers to sign up for a subscription plan. You can create shareable checkout links through Square Online Checkout or by setting up a subscription plan and toggling “Subscribe Online” (which will generate the shareable link). You can then share these links via email, SMS or social media. You can also generate buy button code that you can embed on a website. You are able to manage your subscriptions through Square dashboard.

Subscribers are able to cancel their subscription or change their payment method by clicking on links contained in the initial email they receive after subscribing. 

Currently we do not have subscriptions integrated directly into Square Online or Point of Sale. We hope to have both of those integrations either by the end of 2021 or early 2022.

Message 3 of 111

I'd love it if ACH could be used on recurring payments / payment benchmarks. (My customers get an invoice for $3600 with a $300 payment due on the first of each month, for 12 months.) Right now, their only option for setting up a recurring payment source is a card, and it would save me a lot of money if it could be an ACH.

Message 4 of 111
Community Team

Paying for a subscription via ACH is not currently available. We hope to have that available in early 2022.

Message 5 of 111
Super Seller

Message 6 of 111
Beta Member

so I currently have a customer paying for a subscription via ACH? How does this work?

Message 7 of 111
Community Team

Paying for a subscription via ACH is not currently available, but we hope to have that available in early 2022. A recurring invoice (which has some similarities to a subscription but is different) can be paid using ACH. Does this answer your question?

Message 8 of 111

Hi Jean, 

As of 10-21-2021 Square does offer the option for customers to pay recurring invoices (subscription billing) via ACH. We have a couple of customers who use it and it works great the biggest disadvantage is the timeframe it takes for the payment to clear after the billing date.  For example; if the billing date is on 10-21 it will typically take 3-4 days for the payment to reflect in your square balance. 

Message 9 of 111

Will I be able to make edits to a subscription without canceling the entire subscription? I often have customers who want to pause their subscription for a month or 2. 

Message 10 of 111
Community Team

We will be adding pause/resume capability to subscriptions later this year! It is not currently available.

Message 11 of 111

It would be extremely helpful if the customer and/or business can adjust what products the customer receives in their subscription. My customers like to change what is in their order on a fairly regular basis. As it is right now it ruins the subscription process and frustrates them and us as a business.

Message 12 of 111
Community Team

Hi! Thanks for the feedback! Good news is that giving sellers flexibility in offering subscription boxes that have items changing based on buyer or seller preferences or seasonal specials is being planned for the subscriptions product in 2022.

Message 13 of 111

It would also be very helpful if you created the ability to set payment dates (instead of customers being billed each month on the same date). Or the ability to set custom payment amounts for different months. We offer art classes that parents pay for monthly. But for some months, like December, we arent able to offer class each of the 4 weeks due to the holidays. Currently customers pay a full amount in Nov & the same amount in Dec even though in Dec they don't get the same # of classes. Then we have to go in and refund and its quite tedious..

Message 14 of 111
Community Team

When you first add a subscriber to an existing subscription plan, you have the option to set a custom price and custom start date. Currently the billing date is tied to the start date. We plan to support custom billing dates by the end of this year (2021).

Message 15 of 111
Beta Member

Would love for subscriptions to also be able to earn loyalty points.  We have a membership and want each person to earn points for their membership/subscription.  Would also love to be able to set the day they'd like the payment to start, instead of the day they sign up. 

Message 16 of 111
Community Team

At this time, subscriptions do not integrate with Loyalty. We hope to have that integration next year. With regards to custom billing dates, we plan to have that feature by the end of this year (2021).

Message 17 of 111

Hi Tom,  What about using subscriptions on websites on a Wix platform?  Wix says that Square is not set up with them for subscriptions.  Do you know if this will change?  Thank you.

Message 18 of 111
Community Team

You can create shareable subscription links through Square Online Checkout. Additionally, there is an option under Square Online Checkout where you can “Add button to website” which will generate code that you should be able to embed on any website platform (as long as it that allows you to embed custom code).

Message 19 of 111

I would like to know how much it will cost a small business owner to set up the recurring payment for their customers? 

Message 20 of 111
Community Team

You would pay 2.9% + 30¢ per transaction on each subscription, regardless of whether the card is present or not present. There are also no monthly fees.

Message 21 of 111