x
Square

New: Live Sales Reports in Dashboard

Hi Sellers!

The team at Square is always trying to make things easier on restaurant managers and owners when it comes to making staffing and menu decisions on the fly. We know you’re looking for data at your fingertips to help you understand how the business is doing in real time. Well, I’ve got some great news to share

With Square for Restaurants, you can now access your live sales data no matter where you are. Starting today you can get your Dashboard reports from your phone, tablet or computer. That means you can plan your day without having to visit the location, or without calling whoever’s on shift to run the numbers. Not only that, but you can monitor live sales from a different location and easily know when to send a server home early. 

Until recently, the only way to see those live sales numbers was to view the reports in the POS in the restaurant. And anyone who works in this industry knows, it’s impossible for managers and owners to be in the restaurant at all times. Many of you are managing multiple locations and hey, once in a while you might just want to step away to spend some time with family and friends. 

Well, now the data you need comes to you whenever and wherever you need it. You can filter Dashboard reports so that you’re viewing data related to closed tickets, open tickets, or all tickets. This is most important for full service restaurants where it’s common to have many open tickets. This feature is available to everyone using Square for Restaurants at no additional charge. 

You can learn more about this here.

Lucas
Product Manager, Square
Square
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Beta Member

Hi there. The new Sales Trends tab redesign in the Reports section is definitely an improvement on the previous version.

However, I have noticed that the WEEK view in the Sales Trends tab now presents sales data from Sunday to Saturday (which is a little frustrating given that is not how our financial weeks work). And as far as I can see there appears no way to change the WEEK view to Monday to Sunday?

Additionally, the convention for presenting the sales data from Sunday to Saturday in the Sales Trends tab appears to be totally inconsistent with ALL other reports in Square's Reports section - which present THIS WEEK as Monday to Saturday. Further to this, the mobile Dashboard app also presents WEEKs as running Monday to Saturday. I would appear as if the devs working on the redesign of the Sales Trends tab went on a bit of solo run here... 😕

Is there any way to change how the WEEK appears in the Sales Trends tab?

Thanks, Karl.

Message 2 of 16
Square Community Moderator

Hi @K-dawg-69 - We appreciate you reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community to bring this to our attention.

I will forward your feedback to the product team that owns reporting on the Dashboard. For now, I would suggest using the date range filter vs the "by week" filter, so you can select the dates for Monday - Sunday.

I'll reach back out to you here once I gather more info. Thank you.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 3 of 16

Hi there again, @K-dawg-69 - Thanks for your patience.

Here's what the product team let me know: "The week logic in the legacy date-picker in Dashboard is locale dependent, plus there is a feature flag we can utilize from our end to override to use M-Sun for Sellers that want it."

If you'd like, I can put in a request to have this changed for your account so the view can be Monday to Sunday again. Please just let me know.

I'll keep an eye out for your reply!

Violet
Message 4 of 16
Beta Member

Hi @_Violet

Thanks for the update. I was 100% certain I replied to you message last week. But I don't see my response here???

At any rate, can you please submit the request to utilise your feature flag override so we can use M-Sun format going forward?

Could you please confirm when this has been actioned by your product team?

Kind regards, Karl.

Message 5 of 16
Beta Member

Hello @_Violet just checking in. Do you have any update? I have not yet noticed any change in the WEEK view in our Sales Trends tab. WEEK is still displaying as Sun - Sat instead of Mon - Sun. Can you please advise?

Thanks, Karl.

Message 6 of 16

Hi there again, @K-dawg-69 - Apologies for the wait here.

I also thought I had replied to you but it looks like my response did not post 🤔

I supplied you with some out-of-date info in my first response 😞 The product team let me know that, "The new non-legacy datepicker should now also be locale dependent. We should tell Sellers that all reports should now be reflecting the correct start of week without any action on this part."

So the default settings for the week view are based on your location. Again, if you prefer, you can select dates manually to show the dates for Monday - Sunday.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Message 7 of 16
Beta Member

Hello @_Violet thanks for responding. But I still remain confused.

Can you please advise how or where your product team has determined that the Irish / European week format is Sunday to Saturday? I am quite certain this format is NOT correct for this 'locale'.

Please see below information confirming that the first day of the week for Europe is Monday. NOT Sunday... your product team's assertion does not stand up to scrutiny. Can you please advise?

Setting the Standard: ISO 8601

In 1988, the change from Sunday to Monday was made official—with the international standard ISO 8601.

The International Organization for Standardization (ISO), founded in 1946 in Switzerland, has issued several standards concerning time and dates. Perhaps the most prominent one is ISO 8601: First published in 1988 and continuously updated, it defines Monday as the first day of the week.

Virtually all European countries follow this standard and have adopted Monday as their start of the week. Many countries worldwide that have changed or updated their calendars more recently also follow the international standard.

Message 8 of 16
Admin

Hi @K-dawg-69, just taking over from Violet here. 

Thank you for the context, I've gone back to our internal teams to see if we can get this report switched to M-S to align with the rest of the reports. 

I'll keep you updated, and apologies for any confusion here! 

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question
Message 9 of 16
Beta Member

Thanks @Breffni. Much appreciated. 

Please keep me posted.

Message 10 of 16
Super Seller

We’ve had fun with the date format for years - there’s still a few places in Square, the date, for today, for example will appear as 1/16/24 in Block products (marketing pop ups / online - I’ve flagged it) The United States, Canada, Brazil, Japan and other countries still consider Sunday as the first day of the week - Afghanistan, Iran, and Somalia start theirs on a Saturday.  

It took a while in 2020, well nearly a year for Block to change Curbside to Kerbside for UK/Irish (eng)/Australians). 

Dashboard for retail POS starts on a Monday, though our settings say we are closed on a Sunday - which really messes up Mothering Sunday as online says we are closed………which means we have to create Pre order specific items.  Good luck 🤞

Message 11 of 16
Admin

@K-dawg-69 just checking in to let you know that myself and Maeve are still working with our engineers on this one. I'll let you know once there's an update. 

Breffni
Message 12 of 16
Beta Member

Thank you @Breffni. The update is much appreciated...

Message 13 of 16
Admin

Hi @K-dawg-69 - I'm glad to hear that the update has been released, and the Sales Report is now displaying as M-S. 

Let me know if you have any trouble. 

Thanks again for bearing with us on this! 

Breffni
Message 14 of 16
Beta Member

Hi @Breffni Maeve mentioned the same thing to me yesterday. However, THIS WEEK is still displaying as Sun - Sat in my Sales Trends tab. I have logged out and back in again and also tried logging in via an incognico browser but this has made no difference. I am unable to upload an image here, but shared a screenshot with Maeve yesterday.

Message 15 of 16
Beta Member

Ouch @Twiggy sounds like you've got you're own set of challenges... hoping there's some resolution on the horizon for you!

Message 16 of 16