x
Super Seller

Cookie banner not needed

I’m getting this notice on the online dash….

89CABF6D-6480-443D-8708-EF9502208A7A.jpeg

Thing is, I’m pretty sure I don’t need one at all. From everything I’ve read they’re not needed when the only information stored is when the user expressly asks the site to use their information, such as adding something to their cart or placing an order. 

I don’t use FB pixel, google or any other trackers to this is misleading. 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 1 of 6
Report Inappropriate Content
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

Hey @Sam_400º, thanks for raising this! I'm just going to double-check with our team quickly as well regarding the message.

While there aren't any marketing or tracking cookie, there are also necessary cookies that help the site runs which customers need to be informed about and get valid consent. But I'll ask our team this as well and see if they have any advice or resource they can point us to. 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 2 of 6
Super Seller

@tranguyen - think I’ve got it covered ‘just in case’ 😂

D0D5ED6E-8405-4923-89D1-FF1572012F45.jpeg

Pizza Is Chill

Message 3 of 6
Admin

Hey @Sam_400º, I got some clarification back from our team. We can't provide specific legal advice on cookie & privacy compliant but the requirements to include a cookie banner applies equally to all merchants using Square Online and it's necessary to have a cookie banner.

Even if only necessary cookies are on the site, it's still required to have a banner but if needed, we recommend checking in with a knowledgeable professional advisor on the topics. 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 4 of 6
Super Seller

Hey @Sam_400º 

Cookie banners are necessary on the majority of websites to ensure the end client is aware of all the necessary cookies running as this is consent to install these small packets of information on their device, whether it be a session cookie or a different type of cookie that may save information onto the person's device to ensure for both faster load times and correct displays of things on the site such as recently viewed items or saving details to Square Pay. 

To make a free and tidy cookie banner, I've found https://www.websitepolicies.com/create/cookie-consent-banner to be a great resource and it seems to work a treat every time I use it. 

Hope this could help and as always if it did, please mark this as best answer to help others in the future! : )

Matt - He/They
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!
mjdws
Shop MJD Photography
Visit MJD Web Services
Message 5 of 6
Super Seller

Matt - not all cookies require a banner/consent. 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 6 of 6