x

Item weight exceeds the default shipping box weight. But it doesn't!

I'm going in circles with this. Hoping someone can help me. 

I have my shipping box sizes (2) configured by size and weight of items I will ship. 

I sell 2 items. I am using RTS. I had my first order today and the customer was charged for the correct box size but the weight was 0 lbs. I figured out I had not entered the weight in the variations of my items. They each have four variations of color choices but the weight is the same on all. I entered the correct weight on all the variations then when I go to the Overview page, I get this warning at the top:

"One or more of your items currently exceed the max weight of the default shipping box, your shipping rates could be affected. Go update your shipping box weight Shipping"

My shipping box max weight is set to 13 lbs. My item weight is 12 lbs. It doesn't exceed the max weight of the box. I tried entering the max weight as 70 lbs. and still get this warning. This happens on both my box sizes. If I go to my items and delete the weight the warning will go away but my shipping charges won't include the actual weight of the item. Just the box size.

Any help will be most appreciated!

Stephanie

www.curtains4campers.com

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Correction: When I change the item weight back to zero. The warning still shows up on my Overview page. 

Message 2 of 12
Square Community Moderator

I was investigating this issue and was not able to replicate it. If you are still facing this inconvenience I would suggest reaching out to our Square Online team. 

They can take a look at your account with you to help shine a light here, as they can look at your account alongside you to pinpoint what's going on here. Please reach out by phone or email when you have a moment by logging into your Square account and heading here.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 3 of 12

I put the dimensions of a large shipping box into the 'Shipping Boxes' area and set it as default with max weight of 510 lbs. I selected that box as the shipping box for some of my items and set weights less than 500 lbs.

On the 'Overview' page I get this error:

One or more of your items currently exceed the max weight of the default shipping box, your shipping rates could be affected. Go update your shipping box weight shipping

None of my items exceed the weight of the large box I assigned to them, I know this because I checked, and even increased the max weight of the box for those items.

This is a problem because it is not allowing the real-time shipping prices to populate on the checkout page. It automatically selects the default shipping rate I manually entered.

There is a problem with the system, and I need to know how to fix it or bypass it or do something to get the real-time shipping rates to populate for those items.

Message 4 of 12

Hi @ChemTrueLLC - Thanks for reaching out to us with your question. I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉 Though I am sorry to hear that these issues with your Online Store are what brought you here 😓

I went ahead and merged your post to an existing thread where other Square Sellers have discussed this issue of "max weight exceeded". We merge duplicate conversations together to keep like comments in one place, and to make it easier for others to find the thread in the future. 

Some of this does sound off, but it's difficult to pinpoint what may be happening without being able to look at your account with youThe fastest way to resolve complicated Square Online questions is by reaching out to our team directly. The best way to reach out is by phone because our team can look at your account with you and help you make adjustments in real-time.

Please see the reply from one of our Community Moderators, @JJ_ for instructions on how to proceed in getting further support on this issue.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions 🙂

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 12

Stephanie I am having the same issue!  I am so tired of all of these bugs in this program.  I spend more time on the phone or chat with support than I do actually creating product.  VERY frustrating.  I even went as far as deleting my entire item library (over 5000) items and started over.  After I reached about 250 items I got the same notice on my overview page.  I am going to try to reach out to tech support one more time tomorrow and if they can't solve my problem this time I am seriously thinking I am done!  I will let you know what I find out. 

Jeannie

Jeannie Davis
Message 6 of 12

Hi Jeannie,

I hope you are able to get it figured out. I finally gave up, downgraded my plan and now offer free shipping! It was very frustrating!

Best of luck to you,

Stephanie

Message 7 of 12

We have been having issues with the shipping also.  We sell many different items with different weights and it seems like no matter what size box we pick we end up somewhere with a customer complaining about the shipping costs.  How do other websites do shipping?  We have changed box sizes so many times.  I'm tired of this.

Message 8 of 12

Thanks for posting, @nritz 👋 

Shipping can be a bit of a puzzle to sort out, especially if you have a store that sells a wide range of items size-wize. Even with Real Time Shipping, it's going to be hard to get the exact rate for every single order that comes through your store due to the different box sizes you can use, and the maximum weight and item quantity that can fit in each box. Instead, the goal should be to get as close to the actual shipping cost as you can without putting your customers in a position to overpay for shipping. 

Before we dive into suggestions and feedback, can you post a link to your store so we can get a better idea of what you are selling, and what your average orders look like? It will also be helpful to know who your preferred carrier is, and the locations of where you offer shipping to. 

Thanks in advance!

Message 9 of 12

I now also have this issue. I've deleted the shipping profile and both boxes I had saved. I input everything in again. Still getting this message. None of my items exceeds 2 lbs and I have one box that maxes out at 10 lbs and the other at 70 lbs. I've been on chat for assistance and now the person I'm chatting with has stopped responding. I'm about ready to switch back over to Shopify because I keep running into issues!

Message 10 of 12

Welcome to the Seller Community, @chryssie24  👋 

I'm really sorry to hear you are having some issues with your site. I believe I have come across this before, and it turned out to be a design issue, and had no effect on the live site checkout page. 

Are you having trouble with the shipping rate not being shown on your checkout page, or showing the wrong. rate? I'm going to look into this dashboard error some more to see if there was ever a resolution or work-around that the engineers provided initially. 

Message 11 of 12

Im currently having this issue as well. Problem with mine is I have a wide variety of items and weights. I have checked multiple times to ensure that the weights are correct. Now it is saying that it cant identify different addresses when I do a test to see if the rts is working correctly. This is super frustrating to have this happen when im paying so much a month to have the luxury of rts. 

Message 12 of 12