x

Customer Display Stays On

After an update that seems to have been applied last night, our customer display stays on after the 5 minute timeout we have set.

This isn't expected and is a waste of power and could result in burn in on the screen. The only way to turn off the screen is to power down the Square Register.

Message 1 of 21
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi all - @CHRISHAWAII3619 @HEATHERM @TICE

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Sorry to hear you all have been experiencing this issue on the Square Register. Happy to shine some light on this for you. I've gone ahead and merged us all to the thread that @HeatherM mentioned, just to keep this info all in the same place!

I reached out directly to a member of our Engineering Team for more information on this. They have confirmed that this is indeed a known issue. Their team is currently working to resolve this issue as soon as possible. This will most likely come in the form of a software update, once we've done all the proper testing to ensure the update will fix this issue.

They've also provided me with a workaround:

You can disconnect the Customer Display itself or turn off the entire Register when you close up shop for the day/night.  Just be sure to give yourself enough time in the morning to possibly push through any updates that could have hit the device during the nightly reboot.  This will ensure the device doesn't start an update while you're trying to process payments. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the good news is: we are working on it as we speak! I'll be sure to come back here to provide you all with an update, once the fix is released. We appreciate your patience in the meantime! 

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 16 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Super Seller

Hello @HeatherM and thanks for your question. I use a Square register myself, and definitely understand about power usage in a small business. If you click on the button at the bottom of the Square Register bezel, can you put both the register and customer-facing screen to sleep that way? Not sure what, if anything, this would tell you but if this doesn't put the customer-facing screen to sleep this may indicate something.

I recently had an issue where my register wouldn't sleep all the way...only dim a little but stay on. I eventually did a Factory Reset and this seemed to solved that problem.

I hope you're able to find a solution here. Please keep us updated if you find out anything more.

Message 2 of 21

The button only puts the main display to sleep. It doesn't put the customer display to sleep.

This is a behavior change that has cropped up with the last update.

Message 3 of 21
Super Seller

@HeatherMI just noticed this appears to be happening also on my customer facing display. I came into the store this morning and it was lit, and when I click the bottom button on the screen bezel to put the register to sleep, the customer facing display stayed on. I ended up shutting down the whole register over night until I could trouble shoot again tomorrow.

I usually let my register on all the time, so it can go through the updates each early morning, but I too hated to leave the display on all night. Hopefully there will be some resolution to this issue soon.

Message 4 of 21
Super Seller Alumni

I’m getting the same thing now too. 

@kellyj 

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 5 of 21

Glad to see I'm not the only one it's happening to.

I too leave mine on overnight to get updates and really don't want to shut it down. But if I have to I will.

Message 6 of 21
Super Seller Alumni

I can confirm that this is happening on our Square Registers, too.

Message 7 of 21

Hi @jjgard @stavros2-0 - Thanks for stopping by The Seller Community 😊

Thanks for letting us know.

Happy to get this over to our engineers right away for investigation.

In the meantime, @AshleyK provided some awesome suggestions to other sellers experiencing this issue here

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Message 8 of 21

The suggestions you mention are from a totally different problem that was fixed long ago.

This problem still remains.

Message 9 of 21

Same thing is happening to ours. Tried to reboot to see if that would reset it, but no luck. I can't find anything in Settings to change it either. I've been powering down at night to avoid it being on all the time. Hope they get this fixed soon!

Message 10 of 21

I accidentally started a thread about this in the wrong spot. I'm not use to this new arrangement.

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Square-Online-Discussion/Customer-Display-Stays-On/m-p/325434#M11...

This really needs to be corrected.

Message 11 of 21

Hi @HeatherM - Thanks for stopping by The Seller Community.

I can totally see the need for this to be corrected. I'll be happy to move this over to the board mentioned in the post so that our engineers have visibility of your suggestion. We appreciate you sharing your feedback. While there is no time frame for when it will be implemented, i'm happy to make sure our engineers have eyes on your request. 

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Message 12 of 21

Hey there, @llij96 - 

Welcome back to the Community. 

Thank you for adding your voice to the struggle you're having with your Square Register. 

I am going to recommend reaching out to our Hardware Team directly, so they can take a look at this for you. Another option they can do is send it over to our Engineers too. 

Kassi
Message 13 of 21

I'm having the same issue! I have 2 square registers, and within the last few days, an update made it so that the customer displays will not sleep when the main display will (both systems now do this). I called tech support, and the tech refused to create a ticket for it. We did a factory reset/restore 3 times, same result. The customer display stays on 24/7 now... This needs to be fixed before our displays burn in... the best he could advise is to buy new registers or customer displays, when they've been functioning properly until this update... what kind of support is this square? The customer display takes an update after system restore, it displays our logo and shows the customer checkout info properly, it's simply not sleeping anymore when the main screen goes to sleep. PLEASE fix this!

Message 14 of 21

I'm sorry to hear about the frustrating experience @TICE. It looks like the customer facing display staying illuminated is currently intended functionality. We hear your concern about display burn, and have passed this feedback back to our hardware team. We'll keep you updated in this thread! 

Message 15 of 21

Best Answer

Hi all - @CHRISHAWAII3619 @HEATHERM @TICE

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Sorry to hear you all have been experiencing this issue on the Square Register. Happy to shine some light on this for you. I've gone ahead and merged us all to the thread that @HeatherM mentioned, just to keep this info all in the same place!

I reached out directly to a member of our Engineering Team for more information on this. They have confirmed that this is indeed a known issue. Their team is currently working to resolve this issue as soon as possible. This will most likely come in the form of a software update, once we've done all the proper testing to ensure the update will fix this issue.

They've also provided me with a workaround:

You can disconnect the Customer Display itself or turn off the entire Register when you close up shop for the day/night.  Just be sure to give yourself enough time in the morning to possibly push through any updates that could have hit the device during the nightly reboot.  This will ensure the device doesn't start an update while you're trying to process payments. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the good news is: we are working on it as we speak! I'll be sure to come back here to provide you all with an update, once the fix is released. We appreciate your patience in the meantime! 

Violet
Message 16 of 21

Any updates to this issue? We're running the old version of Square.

Message 17 of 21

Hi @HeatherM - our engineers are presently investigating this issue. 

Ria
Message 18 of 21

The most recent update that was applied this morning seems to have corrected this problem.

Thank you!

Message 19 of 21

I have the same problem and I have only just purchesed my register, I do not wnat the customers screen on all the time, I want it to go to sleep like the main screen.

Message 20 of 21

Hi @scamper65 - I'm sorry to hear that this issue with your Customer Display has brought you to the Seller Community 😥

I suggest that you first check for any available software updates on your Square Register. Additionally, you should also cover the troubleshooting steps for your Customer Display. If the issue is still occurring after completing the troubleshooting, please reach out to our Hardware Support Team. With your Square Register, you have 24/7 phone support for your Square account.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Message 21 of 21