x

Square POS usage and registration in Europe

We've used the Square POS in Austria as a POS terminal only (No card processing), for a small farmer's market, during 2020. Now in 2021, the tax department expects a 'registered' POS station. Where and how can the Square POS be registered or approved so that we continue using it as a POS terminal only (No card processing)? Or is it automatically valid as an authorised POS terminal in Austria (or even Europe perhaps)? Where can I verify this information?
Local computer/software shops are offering smaller alternatives like Kasanova or viabird.com 
(Same goes for the weighing scale but that can be just brought to a central office which evaluates the scale's precision and adds a seal on it.)

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Alumni

Hi @BioALaKarth2 Not sure I'm understanding. Are you trying to register your device for card processing? If so, card processing is not available in Austria at the moment.

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4

Hi Justin,
Just edited my post; no card processing, just using it as the POS for cash sales at the moment. The issue is that the tax department required tills, cash terminals or POS terminals to be 'secure against financial frauds'. When we filed the taxes this year with the printed sales reports from Square POS Website, the tax accountant didn't have a clue what this software was. That's why she gave us a warning that the 'Kassa' or POS Terminal must be an "Approved" software. 
We were hoping to move all the systems on to Square Up and it's POS. We even bought a PD-2 weighing scale and a HUB from UK and paid high shipping and customs cost to bring it in Austria (because Square doesn't sell in Austria yet). But this demand for a "registered" POS makes everything unclear and we are considering shifting to a local, less reliable, under-featured, sub-par system sold at regional software shops.
Desperately need help.

Message 3 of 4
Alumni

Ah I see, thanks for the clarity. Understood that you're using Square solely for recording cash payments. However, since Square's payment processing hasn't reached Austria yet, Square POS has not undergone any Austrian tax or other certifications. You will need to rely on your own tax and financial advisors for what is required in your jurisdiction.

We're planning on expanding our offering within Europe over the next year, so keep an eye out for us.

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4