x
Admin

Is your business Worth Every Penny?

Hey Square Readers,

Welcome to another round of the Square Readers Book Club! Today we’re starting our next book, Worth Every Penny by Sarah Petty and Erin Verbeck!

giphy

This book is all about how to break out of the pattern and pressure of discounting your prices, either to appease or attract customers. It goes into the theory and practical strategies to build up your business to charge what you're worth and have your customers happy to pay a higher cost because your business is worth every penny you charge. This is through offering specialized products and services, creating a well defined brand, pricing yourself correctly, having an over the top customer experience, and marketing everything well. 

As we start reading the book, let’s kick off our conversations with a baseline of how you and your business handle this tricky subject.

So let’s talk:

• Do potential customers question your prices? What do they typically say?
  • Do you have trouble convincing potential buyers that you’re worth the price? What do you tell them? 

For some extra fun, share a selfie of you with the book here in the comments! 

Don’t forget to:

Happy reading,

Pesso

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him
Small Business Evangelist, Square

Join the Square Readers Book Club
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Square Champion

My biz partner has the best quote ... she always says, "let's not race to the bottom"

We focus on experience more than price- although we try and stay as competitive as possible

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 2 of 19
Admin

Such a great piece of advice and a mantra to have, @DLRosenberg ! Thanks for sharing it--

It's totally true. Everybody loses a race to the lowest price. The experience and value you give is much more important.

What does that look like for you? What's the experience you strive for, and how do you stay competitive without lowering prices?

Do any of your customers complain about prices? What do you do when they do?

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 3 of 19
Square Champion

We are seeing particularly with Gen Zer's they want an experience, if they get that the price isn't a concern with them. When we set our booth up at State fairs. We use a lot of digital signage, we have 3 TV's running a slide show with our customers children wearing our clothing, We try to make it a festive environment.

Message 4 of 19
Admin

This is such a good callout, thanks for sharing, @rtfulk !

I love that idea of really literally showing the experience and lifecycle of your products. Images and video are so powerful and make potential customers really feel an emotional connection, and add to the vibrancy and fun and energy. I love it!

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 5 of 19
Square Champion

We charge $100 for a date night for two people and folks rarely comment on the price so I'd echo the statement above about an experience. It allows us to pay over $25 an hour to instructors and in some cases over $60 an hour if they teach a small group and get tips which is an amazing salary for artists in general and especial young makers just out of college and generally the customer is on board with supporting a young artist.

With membership - we have a wait-list now - but we still encounter some people who elect to quit or not join because of the pricepoint of our membership fee of $155 which gives 57 hours a week of access to our space - and lots of perks but there is an odd permission set for what someone will pay to do something just for joy and many members feel pressured to sell work to 'pay' for membership. But then there are those who have paid for membership for years and years and years and always tell us what a value it is. We've never discounted for price unless someone is part of the BIPOC community, part of the LGBTQ community or is experiencing financial hardship (like cancer treatment or a job loss) or is differently-abled. We reserve around 20 spaces that are sliding scale or free when the need arises. I absolutely agree if we don't value the space with what we charge - the user of the space won't value it either. We've only raised our price a few times in 10 years - typically small increases to clear rent escalation/opex etc.

D [they/them]

MudFire CEO | Square enthusiast

Visit me at MudFire online
Message 6 of 19
Admin

I love all of this, thank you so much for sharing, @MudFire_D !

That's so wonderful to hear that the majority of folks don't even bat an eye at the prices you have, and that people are literally lining up and waiting to become members. That really shows that you're providing a really great service and experience, and that there's demand for what you've created. I hope you feel really great about that, because you should!

That pricepoint for membership sounds more than fair for what you provide -- not only what they physically get, but for the amazing community and atmosphere that you've built up there. I love that your only discounts are to help and to create the community you want, rather than to compete -- that's such a great model and way to live & run the business. Incredible.

I got some more questions for ya!

• You said you don't raise prices often -- Do you feel you're priced right for your expenses and things now? 
  • What do you with the folks that do say that the price is too much? Do you try to keep them onboard or just thank them and let them leave?
  • What are you hoping to get out of this book? 
️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 7 of 19
Square Champion

* Yes - I think we are priced right for current expenses - I recently did a rebuild of our storage and shelving and was able to gain spaces for 50 new members so we could keep pricing the same and be in line with our financial goal of owning our building (buying at the end of this rental term).

* We normally converse with people about price but I don't try to win them over if they are solely focused on the expense and not the community of makers - Sometimes I simply refund and wish them the best 🙂 I am interested in ways others handle this and what the book has to say about these interactions.

*I struggle to converse about value and items with the artists we work with in a mentorship capacity. They many times approach selling work with scarcity in mind or needing to pay for supplies, rent, etc. It makes the 2 for 1 phenomena a problem because other artists at markets are doing the same. I hope to find some conversational tools, techniques, dialogue that will be helpful in those discussions. I find that with the membership and studio I have a bias because I very clearly understand what I am providing here - but lack some ability to translate that to products with my artists because some of whether a buyer wants art is solely subjective - do they like it or not (?)

D [they/them]

MudFire CEO | Square enthusiast

Visit me at MudFire online
Message 8 of 19
Admin

Woaaah, that's so incredible! That's such a great investment and model that by increasing some storage and shelving you can increase your membership capacity. What a great way to spend your time to increase income, keep your pricing the same, and work towards your financial goals. Amazing!

I think that's a really good approach to take: focusing on the community aspect and keeping the customers who value what you value. 

That's a really great goal to have going into the book, learning so you can help teach others is so great! Hmm I definitely see the differences there - as a studio your selling the community and education side, and the artists are selling the products, which is definitely a whole different game and a different way to have to convey the value. Especially if they're in that mindset of competing on price.

Definitely possible, and I hope the book will help!

On that front, I do think it's still a similar value prop for your artists. The book talks a bunch about branding and creating the experience and reputation. One option is for them to brand themselves as being associated with the community, and their customers can "own a piece of that" in a way, and support that community. Another big emphasis of the book is adding value rather than discounting, so having them look at ways that they can supplement what they're selling with a more hands on and attentive experience, those details being up to them to get creative. 

Thank you SOO much for sharing, @MudFire_D , and I can't wait to hear what you think about the book as we go. 

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 9 of 19
Square Champion

I can't wait to dive into this.

I notice many new businesses will run promos to attract clients. Now that we are out of that phase, I was able to dig into the numbers more and see that most clients come to us twice per year. Running discounts for their first time, doesn't make sense. We discount on packages of 3 or more to increase that client average; that is the only reason we will discount anything.

Curious to hear how other industries and businesses with clients they see more regularly discount.

UV-Free Tanning Salon Owner, Northern California (Campbell)
Message 10 of 19
Admin

Thanks for sharing, @Bronze_Palms ! Wow, I love the power of data to really discover what's going on in your business. Realizing that folks only really come twice a year even with doing discounts is a huge find. Definitely sounds like it's not worth it to discount for that first time since that loss of income on that first visit might not really pay off. 

Doing packages is a great way to add value and reward your customers for (and into) buying more from you. It's not necessarily to get folks into the door, it's to treat them well once they're there. Great plan!

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 11 of 19
Square Champion

Exactly! Using data to drive these money decisions is really important. It is not what kind of revenue we pull it but how much we profit!

Message 12 of 19
Admin

100%, @Bronze_Palms - It's not just the sales $, it's the profit! 

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 13 of 19

Interesting questions.  The answer is yes to all and it's evolved over time. 

I'm an artist/illustrator.  I usually have to put the whole "title" thing because people don't understand what either is and have distinct preconceptions (it's actually misconceptions) for what each is even though they are the same very thing.  The image of an artist is starving so... I can't begin to count all the offers to use my art for "exposure" or to donate to a good cause and I could deduct the cost of the materials (not time) involved in the creation of the piece on my taxes.  Clearly, we apparently create just because we love doing it.  Real compensation is never offered.  Right before the pandemic, I had gone down to my local chamber of commerce to share with them why they (very guilty at the time) and all the local businesses had to stop approaching local artists with that ploy for exposure because if they didn't, I was going to embarrass them in public.  I explained: my answer to all those offers over the years has been to ask where I can use that exposure to pay for my groceries and which bank accepts exposure for car payments.  We all know there is no such thing.  What you are really asking for is free art.  As if it has no value but you want to use it.  It was happening so often, I promised if another business comes to our local art guild with that ridiculous offer... as if it was a decent proposition, I would ask those questions point blank and I promised it would be uncomfortable.  I'm not a public speaker but new folks are particularly susceptible, so I now make a point of presenting to the local artists guild every year to educate them on why this is a form of usery in our profession.  If our work is worth the exposure, it's also worth paying to use it.  

Illustrators seem to be understood as making money doing their art but there's the flip side.  People who identify as artists treat them as if they've sold their soul to the commercial devil.  Never mind, they are doing the same work as artists with the same materials, but instead they are typically paid for their work.  It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation if ever that was one but that's the world I live in.  I enter and am accepted in art shows and I also put that same work on items to sell.  I just wanted to make a living doing what I loved to do whatever it was called. 

Last summer it came to a head one day.  I had a gentleman come into my booth at a farmers market where I sell the products I designed.  He slowly looked at everything and made a point of commenting, "Nice hobby you have here."  I think it was his very obvious, condescending delivery tone and the fact he was obviously watching to see how his comment landed, I could feel it bringing out the worst in me.  But I was professional in my reply:  "I told him I was going to tell him a sort of short story.  I had won a small scholarship in high school with my art so that got me started.  My parents didn't want me to study art in college so I had to figure out a way to pay for college myself.  Realizing I couldn't stretch the scholarship through four years, I decided I would enlist in the military to earn the GI Bill and get on-the-job experience while I was at it so when I finished my tour, I would be both ready to work in the civilian world and finish my degree.  Most people don't realize many civilian careers are also found in the military and they use illustrators so that's what I did.  When I finished my active duty tour - by the way, in the Marine Corps so you know it wasn't one bit easy, I went back to college to finish my degree because I then had the GI Bill to help pay for it.  I earned my one year certificate in commercial art, then my two year degree in graphic design and illustration, then my Bachelor of Fine Art, a four year degree.  I went to work for Intel designing their user manuals that shipped with every product they made.  I later worked for a local real estate magazine designing their home ads.  No one knew I could do all of this other work that you see here in my booth.  Everything here represents the full range of what I can do.  And when you go to our national parks in the west, you will see my work there too.  Look me up on Amazon.  I know from the royalties I receive, my speciality books are a big deal in the UK and Japan.  Sometimes you have no idea when you meet someone who is famous somewhere else.  You just met one of them here in our little town in our little farmers market and didn't have a clue.  It's not a hobby, it's my passion and this is how I make my living."  For whatever reason, by the time I was done I was shaking mad on the inside.  Maybe it showed on the outside too because he apologized, saying he had no idea.  That was my point.  Don't assume. 

I knew from that point on, I was done, done, done with the unrealistic assumptions people make.  I made signs for my booth making it clear, the images weren't photographs - they were original artwork created with either watercolor or colored pencil pieces.  Now I'm constantly asked if I'm the artist.  I reply, yes I am, thanks for stopping to look at my work. 

booth9-2023.jpg

Do potential customers question my prices?  At the markets, EVERY year there is always the customer/s that comes up and asks, if I buy two [fill in the blank] at the same time do I get a discount? My answer has evolved over the years.  Usually they are asking about notecards or my stickers.  If it's my notecards, I ask them to pull the card out of the protective sleeve and then ask them to feel the paper it's printed on.  Really nice isn't it?  It's 90# cotton fiber paper, not wood pulp paper you usually get in the big box stores.  And then I ask them to look closely at the printing... exceptional isn't it?  Each of my cards are printed on the highest quality paper with the highest quality inks.  Plus they come with a matching envelope.  They are absolutely worth $5 each don't you think?  Every time that ended the ask for a discount when they bought multiples. 

I do the same thing with my stickers... I ask them to feel them - they are premium vinyl stickers, fade resistant and weatherproof so you can use them inside or outside.  They quite literally won't wash off.  Look at the printing - it's a superb reproduction of my original artwork so it's like having a miniature print only you can use it anywhere.  Well worth a $3 investment.  Now you just have to decide which sticker you want and where you want to put it.  No one has ever asked for a discount on my stickers after that.  

Several years ago there was a second vendor at one of my markets who also sold notecards.  She did the thing of offering a percentage off if they bought two, another percentage if they bought three.  People would mosey through my booth, looking at what I had to offer.  Then they would move down to her booth.  My husband suggested I should be doing something similar if I wanted to compete.  Besides feeling it wasn't the right thing to do, I decided to go take a look for myself.  I'm glad I did.  I recognized right off she was using clipart.  She wasn't creating anything unique and she was printing on flimsy cardstock.  Because of her paper choice and printing method, they looked cheap.  My products were distinctly different from hers.  I decided I wasn't going to compete by lowering my prices.  Coincidentally, I came back to my booth just in time to overhear one of my customers telling another that I had the "good stuff".  The other vendor at the market with the discount pricing structure... she didn't come back the following year.  In contrast my sales have been doubling every year without lowering my prices or offering discounts, neither of which I can afford to do and still have a profit margin.  I didn't know the full "why" until I started reading this book.  Good timing.  

Bonny Wagoner
Message 14 of 19
Square Champion

I envy your ability to calmly and confidently explain your pricing.

Message 15 of 19
Admin

Right? So incredible and inspiring!

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 16 of 19

Thanks.  It's come about through years of experience.  Every weekend I talk myself hoarse.  But I know that if I don't make contact, it's a missed opportunity to connect in a way that brick and mortar stores can't.  

Bonny Wagoner
Message 17 of 19
Admin

Wow wow wow wow. Thank you so much for taking the time to share all of this, @bonny ! 

There is so much for anyone in any industry to learn from you, and I really appreciate you giving all of this amazing experience and insight.

Oof. I can't imagine how frustrating and infuriating it would be to just hear that constantly, that your work isn't valued and should be given away for free. Art is valuable, and no business products should ever be done "for exposure" unless it's literally being featured in a news article. 

Thank you so much for sharing your story and adding all of that context and the great lesson to not just assume anything, especially about someone's experiences.

I love your approaches both in handling that customer and in the chamber of commerce! Showing and explaining and putting real quantifiable proof behind all of it is huge. And it sounds like it's absolutely paying off for you! That effort into branding your work with a sign that makes people realize that it's highly skilled art, explaining and showing and having folks feel that quality of everything you do. And that reward of customers saying you got the good stuff, and the proof that you definitely should not have competed on price, in that the one who did with shoddy quality didn't come back and you're still standing! Just incredible.

You're so great at this and driving that point home, and you should be so proud of yourself! 

So many great lessons here, and I hope this sparks and inspires others to do similar in their own work. Thank you again!

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 18 of 19

Thank you.

Bonny Wagoner
Message 19 of 19