x
Super Seller

“Profit First” using Square Savings

Greetings, Fellow Square Reader’s Book Club members,

Among the titles we've explored together, "Profit First" stands out as a personal favorite of mine. The simple concept within "Profit First" intrigued me from the moment I opened the book. Traditionally, like many of you, I managed my business finances in a straightforward manner: revenue comes in, bills are paid, and if all goes well, there might be some leftover for personal compensation. However, as you may have experienced, this approach often falls short of expectations!

After immersing myself in the book and tailoring its principles to fit my business model, I was astonished by how effortlessly I could prioritize both my financial well-being and the sustainability of my business. Essential expenses continued to be met, while non-essential expenditures underwent rigorous scrutiny. The book empowered me to safeguard "my" money for truly impactful business purposes, resisting the allure of unnecessary spending.

In this discussion, I'll outline how I adapted the "Profit First" methodology to my ice cream venture, now entering its twelfth season. My hope is that my experiences may prove beneficial or inspiring, particularly for those embarking on their entrepreneurial journeys, seeking quicker returns on their hard work. Believe me, I wish I had stumbled upon this concept years ago.

Before we delve into the details, a word of advice: if you haven't yet explored "Profit First," I urge you to do so before going any further. The following discussion assumes familiarity with its principles and their modest application in initiating owner compensation.

How I adapted “Profit First” with Square Savings Folders

Instead of relying on separate accounts at a traditional bank, we've opted for Square Savings folders to automate and allocate funds for specific purposes. At Piper's, our current folders include:

• Profit First: Reserved for owner draws, ensuring that partners receive their dues on a monthly basis.
  • Debt Retirement: Prioritizing the complete repayment of pandemic-induced debt, diverting a portion of expected profits until this obligation is settled.
  • Off-season Expenses: Set aside to cover operational costs during our seasonal closure from November to February.
  • Sales Tax Liability: Accounting for both card and cash transactions, with an adjusted savings rate ensuring we meet our monthly tax obligations.
  • Cost of Goods Fund: Accumulated from daily card transactions to facilitate timely supply purchases, contributing to cost management efforts.

Each day, we transfer the remaining balance after automatic savings from card transactions to our checking account, where all cash transactions are also recorded. This amount serves as our budget for covering operational expenses, strictly adhering to our commitment not to dip into allocated savings for unauthorized purposes.

In cases of emergency, partners engage in dialogue to adjust future savings percentages, prioritizing the preservation of existing reserves wherever feasible. As long as our checking account maintains sufficient funds to cover the next 1-2 weeks of expenses, we refrain from making alterations, recognizing the importance of consistency in effective financial management. A comprehensive spreadsheet aids in projecting cash flow over the ensuing four weeks, preempting potential liquidity issues.

A few other notes

• Startup Costs: To manage cash flow beyond off-season expenses, we leverage an online credit line provider, Credit Key, for flexible financing solutions tailored to our beginning of season inventory stocking needs.  The money we spend using this credit line is easily repaid using our CoGS Fund.
  • Determining Savings Percentage based on Card Sales Only: Since Square Savings is entirely based on card processing volume, this is a little more tricky.  But basically we worked backwards.  We started with a “goal” for each folder, determined how much we expected in card tenders based upon our previous year’s history, and then figured out how much of a percentage of card “sales” we needed to reach each goal.  It’s a little messy at times, but if anyone wants to discuss how we did it I’m more than happy to do so.  The point is knowing your own business and its payment history (card vs. cash, etc) to be able to do this intelligently and effectively.  That takes time and patience.  Thankfully, Piper’s is entering its twelfth season, so we have plenty of solid history to base our decisions upon.

This modified-for-Square-Savings "Profit First" methodology, adapted to suit our unique business circumstances, has revolutionized our financial management practices at Piper's. If anyone wishes to delve deeper into our implementation strategy using Square Savings, just let me know.

@Pesso tagging you… 

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Admin

Thank you so much for sharing this, @TheRealChipA !

It's so wonderful and inspiring to see how you've taken the Profit First system and just ran with it. I'm so glad that it's been working for you to better manage your finances, and you've been feeling the positive effects with money set aside for you.

I love that you've adapted and used Square Banking to make this work in a more seamless way for you! I love the workarounds and how flexible you've been with it.

Rooting for ya and continued success with the system and the business. Thanks for sharing this and hopefully some other folks will be inspired!

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him
Small Business Evangelist, Square

Join the Square Readers Book Club
Message 2 of 7
Super Seller

I love this! Thank you for sharing. I did the same splitting of accounts and automating saving after I read Profit First. I have mine split up between inventory, staff events, and taxes (sales taxes and quarterlies). Then I have another bucket for general savings if I ever get in a pinch. 

One thing I am curious about - when you have excess revenue that is not put toward supplies, payroll, rent, extra operational costs, etc what do you do with that money? Do you put it into another account so you don't see it?

UV-Free Tanning Salon Owner, Northern California (Campbell)
Message 3 of 7
Super Seller

Emily, 

That is the million dollar question, isn’t it? As this is a new and evolving budget management technique for me, I can only answer theoretically. 

First, my overriding ground rule is steady-as-she-goes, or if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I’m finishing up my first month of the new season. March is always lean and I don’t expect much in the way of extra funds on April 1. But if I had to guess, I’d say that I will take advantage of sales on inventory purchases and pre-purchase what I can, since I know I’ll use it up later. I run a very tight just-in-time inventory replenishment schedule and taking advantage of sales to reduce future costs is a bonus for me. 

Otherwise since my #1 priority is to retire all debt, I foresee applying any future excess revenue to that goal. After all the sooner I eliminate that debt, the sooner I can realize my preferred partner distributions. So yes I would transfer those funds to my debt retirement folder. 

On that same topic, since I did a complete restock of inventory using my Credit Key financing before I opened, I currently find that I’m not using much of my CoGS folder right now. So that has become my slush fund to ensure that I am not tempted to start fiddling with my other savings folders in order to balance the books. So far, that is working perfectly. 🤞

After  a month of strictly adhering to this, I’m pleased with the results. Bills are still getting paid. And for the first time ever I’m going to make partner distributions in March! That’s unprecedented. I’m fine allowing the question of what to do with any excess be an open question for now. I’ll make that up as I go along until I’m persuaded to make a more permanent decision. 

I hope that makes sense. Oh and I’ll be interested to schedule a chat with you again soon. I’d love to see how things are progressing in your world since we last spoke. My life will settle down soon (in a few weeks) so let’s plan on that. 

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 4 of 7
Admin

Great question @Bronze_Palms and great answer @TheRealChipA !

Love the idea of shifting towards debt, and it's also not a bad idea to keep extra in OPEX just in case there's a lower revenue month to compensate from the higher -- and shifting to Profit is also an option.

I think a good thing to keep in mind is the longer term trends -- is it a one time boost in revenue or is it a sign that the Allocation Percentages should be adjusted with a lower percentage for OPEX and a higher for Profit?

The book recommends Quarterly checking of these, and tracking for over a year or two can help determine if it's a fluke or a pattern.

Definitely keep us updated, both of y'all!

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him
Small Business Evangelist, Square

Join the Square Readers Book Club
Message 5 of 7
Super Seller

Thank you for your insight, Chip! I would love to meet again soon. I will send you an email to line something up in the next couple months.

I have 10% of every transaction going into these buckets, then once my Op Costs are accounted for and paid, I add that into the savings account as well. I like to run a really lean Checking account or else I stimulate the economy 😉

Curious to hear how you leverage debt as well if you are open to sharing!

UV-Free Tanning Salon Owner, Northern California (Campbell)
Message 6 of 7
Super Seller

this is great

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 7 of 7