x
Admin

[New] Tap to Pay on Android

Hi Sellers! 👋

PD04378_GBEN_Phone to phone_Android.png

We’re excited to announce that Tap to Pay on Android is now available! With this feature, you can accept contactless cards and digital wallets like Google Pay or Apple Pay with just your Android phone - no additional hardware necessary. 

Using Tap to Pay on Android is easy:

1. Make sure your POS app is updated to the latest version
  2. Add an item or key in an amount.
  3. Ask your customer for a contactless card or digital wallet. 
  4. Have them hold it to the back of your phone and you’re set.

Tap to Pay on Android is available on Square Point of Sale, Invoices POS, Appointments POS on compatible Android phones, and with the Restaurant mobile POS kit. There is no monthly fee to use Tap to Pay on Android, just your usual transaction costs. 

No additional set up is necessary. You can use Tap to Pay on Android right alongside your current Square hardware, it sends the money you make to the same Square account. 

For more help getting started with this new feature see here. Let us know if you have questions.

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 1 of 20
Report Inappropriate Content
19 REPLIES 19
Beta Member

I have checked my phone is compatible and it is, yet I do not see the tap to pay option in the hardware settings when in the app.

Message 2 of 20
Admin

Thanks for flagging @smashnslide! THere are a couple of things we can check to make sure that Tap to Pay can be enable on your device:

• Check your phone is running Android 9 or later. This information should be within the Settings > Software Information or similar section on your phone
  • Check that NFC is enabled. You can do this by going to Settings > Connections > NFC and Contactless Payments

If you have checked all of these and are still not seeing the option, can you let me know the model of the phone you are currently using?

Tra
Message 3 of 20
Beta Member

Android version 13

NFC is enabled 

Samsung Galaxy A52 5G

@tranguyen 

Message 4 of 20
Admin

I'll escalate this to the appropriate team so they can investigate further. Before I do so, can you let me know which app you're trying on — Square Point of Sale, Square for Restaurants, Square Invoices or Square Appointments? And can you let me know the version of the app as well? 

Tra
Message 5 of 20
Beta Member

Square Point of sale - POS

I updated the app today so it is the latest version available on Google Play store.

@tranguyen 

Message 6 of 20
Admin

I've flagged this with the team here @smashnslide and they just want to check one last thing — is the Developer Options currently turned off? You can check and disable it by following the steps outlined here

Tra
Message 7 of 20
Beta Member

it was on and ive turned it off now

Message 8 of 20
Admin

Sorry for the delayed reply here @smashnslide! Have you been able to use the Tap to Pay feature yet after you've turned off the Developer Options? 

Tra
Message 9 of 20
Beta Member

hi there, sorry for late reply, this feature is still not working on my Android device.

Message 10 of 20
Admin

Is the option still not appearing for you within the app or is there a different error message you are seeing @smashnslide?

When you have a chance, can you send me a screenshot of what you are currently seeing under Settings > Hardware on your device? 

Tra
Message 11 of 20
Beta Member

Hi, sorry I just updated and can see this now. awesome!

Message 12 of 20

Thank you for this suggestion! I was racking my brains, wondering why this great feature was not working on any of my android devices! Particularly as I have Samsungs latest flagship model running the latest Android OS.

As a software developer, I have "Developer Options" turned on as one of the first things I do when getting a new device 😂. So I'm pleased that someone else had already encountered this issue and sought your help regarding it, so a quick Google search and I found this article.

I can confirm that turning off developer options and then restarting the Square POS app does indeed allow Tap to Pay to function as normal. And I've tested it using my own debit card and confirm its all working.

Thanks!

Message 13 of 20
Super Seller

Hey @GlasgowBusking - massive shoutout for sharing. Thanks for taking the time to let everyone know it work for you as it’s great to see the community advice helping people out 💕

@tranguyen sure knows her stuff!

Pizza Is Chill

Message 14 of 20
Beta Member

Is this functionality coming to iPhone

https://the-ungrateful-wench.square.site
Message 15 of 20
Admin

It's definitely something the team are looking into @tonydow but we don't have a timeline for when this will be available on iPhone just yet. 

Tra
Message 16 of 20
Square Community Moderator

Hello @SDavid088, thank you so much for your comment and wonderful feedback! We're so glad that the Tap to Pay feature has been a useful addition for you and your business needs. We always strive to make processing payments smoother for our merchants, so this is definitely great to hear. 😊

Message 17 of 20

Hi I have a Samsung z fold 5 and do not see the option for tap and pay. I've followed all advice on here so far and still nothing. Can you help? 

Message 18 of 20
Admin

Hi @Pinkpegasus thanks for letting us know and sorry to hear that you're having some trouble. 

It looks like your device is compatible with Tap to Pay. The best way to get this resolved I have found is to follow this Youtube step-by-step guide.

This should get you up and running. 

If not though, I would suggest giving our support team a call directly on 0800 - 098 8008, 9AM- 5PM, Mon-Fr. 

They will be happy to run through it with you 🙂 

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question
Message 19 of 20

Thanks for your reply. I have already followed all instructions on that you tube video and it still doesn't work! I'll give them a call tomorrow thank you x 

Message 20 of 20