x

What's the difference between mobile and physical store?

I do craft shows and I have two work vans that I use to travel to different locations. These vans are my "stores" I wanted to make each van have its own inventory for better stocking and inventory control.  Each van has 2 team members. 

1. What's the difference between a physical and a mobile store?  and which do I use to label that store?

Question 2. 

Sometimes only 1 van goes out if the worker uses their phone to take sales and I use the tablet, Will the phone be taking inventory out of the other van or will it switch to MY location? is this dependent on how (ref to question 1) is set up?

S.Miles
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Admin

Hey @Scents4mysoul-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

1) A physical store would be that you have a location that you sell items out of. A mobile location would be classified as a solely online presence, or a consistently moving location. I suppose your business is somewhat in the middle, so it's totally up to you. 

2) I think I would create 2 separate locations. One entitled van 1, with it's own item library, and van 2, with it's own item library. That way you can track inventory and sales separately, except it'll be under the same business. 

Is that helpful? Let me know! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 7

Is a mobile location treated differently across products?

I notice some products in Square charge a monthly fee per location. Does a mobile location get billed or reported differently? 

Message 3 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hey @zechdc- When you say products, are you referring to Square items or Square products such as monthly subscriptions like Square for Retail that charge per location? 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 4 of 7

Yes.  I'm wondering the same thing.  What differences are there in a mobile location as to how square treats things?  Or is this simply an informational field with no real consequences.

For square for retail does it make a difference if you choose mobile vs physical?

There isn't any real indication of what difference it makes anywhere in the system.

Message 5 of 7
Beta Member

wondering the same thing. currently trying to set up a uniform shop that does pop-ups at different schools. I need people to be able to pick up at the different schools depending on the which day we are there. setting up as different locations would be cost prohibitive if it charges a fee for each location if mobile

Message 6 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hey @sbarraza,

Thanks for writing in and welcome to our community! It's always good seeing new faces here. 

If you're not subscribed to a paid software subscription, for example Square for Retail, or Square for Restaurants, there is no charge for having multiple locations on your Square account. 

Setting your location to mobile would mean that your business location wouldn't be displayed on payment receipts automatically. Mobile locations can also be useful if you're using Square Appointments, and taking appointments at your customer's location, for example. 

Message 7 of 7