x
Beta Member

Why is my customer getting an error message during checkout?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Customer getting error message when trying to pay: Email Already Registered. How can I help them?]

Customer getting error message when trying to pay: Email Already Registered. How can I help them?

Message 1 of 88
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Customers Can't Checkout Because Email is already registered

We're sorry to hear about the issues coming up as a result of these error messages. I’ve bubbled this feedback up by sharing this thread with our engineers. We'll be back with an update when we have one to share. Thanks for your patience, all.

1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Sorry to see trouble has brought you to the Seller Community - let's dig in here, @lonelymonk.

Are your customers opting to save their information again, when they've already saved it previously? There is a check box during checkout - if they select this option by clicking to check the box when the've already set up Square Pay, they will see that error.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 61 of 88
87 REPLIES 87
Alumni

Hi @Kevin_farming,

Thanks for posting again in the Seller Community. 

Sorry to hear your customer is experiencing this. To make sure I'm understanding, what device did your customer try making the purchase through, is this happening with all customers, and do you by chance have a screenshot?

I'll keep an eye out for your reply. 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 2 of 88

all of them are 

Message 3 of 88
Beta Member

Did you ever find out why?

One of my customers has the same issue

Message 4 of 88
Square Community Moderator

Hey @AFFINITYGALLERY,

Do you have a screenshot of the issue?

It sounds like the customer input their information for a faster checkout maybe.

Ashley C
Message 5 of 88
Beta Member

No we have not resolved the issue.  It only happens occasionally but is frustrating.  What we have found that works most of the time is to ask the customer to use an alternate email address.

Message 6 of 88

How can they or I reset it for them?  They are a retail location where havy turnover of employees  occurs..  all have to use one shared email account for placing orders.

Message 7 of 88
Admin

When checking out, is your team checking the box to save information for a faster checkout, @rainiermeats? Also, just so I understand how you are placing orders, are your staff members placing orders through the online store on behalf of customers and using the same business email address for those orders?

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 8 of 88

One of my customer received a error message when placing her second order that 'Email is already registered.' She indicated she was using her phone. I went into her profile and deleted her address and it worked from her computer. Any idea why that happened?

Message 9 of 88

Hey @PGCookies,

I moved your post to an existing thread for this same question.

When a customer is checking out on your site- it'll give them the option to save their information for faster checkout next time.

It sounds like your customer saved their information before which resulted to it saving in your customer directory.

Ashley C
Message 10 of 88

So what is the solution?  Need to reset for them.  they don't have an alternate email.  Thanks for you help

Message 11 of 88
Beta Member

My customers are experiencing this as well, I read the thread and there does not seem to be an answer/solution on how to resolve this issue. It's very inconvenient to not be able to assist my customer and possibly lose out on a sale. Has there been any development on this? Or does any other seller have a resolution?

Message 12 of 88

How is this answer helpful?

A customer enters all of their info and checks the box "Save my information for a faster checkout" and gets an error "Email is already registered".  OK. So what?  No instructions on what to do so we lose a sale. 

Message 13 of 88

Customers who have bought from new online store (and previous store) cannot login.  I tried and when I tried to place the order said 'phone already in use'

Message 14 of 88
Admin

Hey @rainiermeats-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

While I do not have an answer as to why this is happening, it appears there's a solution from @ashc in this thread to prevent this from happening in the future. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 15 of 88

This happens frequently for us where a customer who orders often will get an error message on the mobile checkout screen that says their "email is already registered to a new user." Why does this happen?

Message 16 of 88

Hey @taylorp1,

Check out the answers throughout this thread for why this message appears.

I answered it above in my last reply ^.

Ashley C
Message 17 of 88

Hi @ashc 

I understand what the issue is here, but not seeing an actual resolution for it.

Is there any way to disable the ability for a customer to select this option, as to avoid it altogether? I'm not seeing that option in my checkout settings either.

Message 18 of 88

I too have a couple returning customers experiencing this issue.  I also do not see a solution other than trying a different email, which is really not a good solution here.  Any other answers?

Message 19 of 88

Heya @depawdogsports and welcome to the Community!

This error occurs when the customer saves their information for a faster checkout. 

They shouldn't have to use other emails or anything of the sort. Once they enter the email they used before- it should prompt a text message code after entering just the email that they can enter that will pull up the rest of their saved information for them.

Ashley C
Message 20 of 88

So by clicking “save information for faster checkout” they are unable to check out at all?  Makes sense. 

Message 21 of 88