x

Can Register Kit accept SIM card for mobile wifi?

Hi all,

Just joined and looking to buy the Square Register kit. Before I do, would someone be able to tell me whether the tablet that comes with the kit accepts a SIM card so I can run it off the SIM's mobile data allowance? Or can the tablet only connect via a built in antenna to an external WiFi hub?

Many thanks

Ash

Message 1 of 3
Report Inappropriate Content
2 REPLIES 2
Admin

Hi Ash 🙂 Welcome to Square and the Seller Community!

The Square Register has Square software built into it, and you can't download external apps, etc. onto it. Because of this, it doesn't accept sims. 

It can be connected to Wi-Fi, Ethernet or Mobile Data. The only network that it won't function on is a captive portal. 

@Sam_400º, one of our expert sellers has some tips on this thread recommending the amount of data/sim to have on your phone for the hotspot - the comment is marked as Best Answer.

Feel free to check out this article that has a section on network requirements too. 

If you have any other questions, just let us know! @PapplewickPS 

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question
Message 2 of 3
Super Seller

Hey @PapplewickPS - the register is a great unit! 

if you’re running without broadband I’d be interested to hear what your set up is! 

I’ve got a pizza truck and have used a fair few different networking setups (currently hot spot from my phone as I’m always there). Should be able to let you know some of the different options and what’s good/bad about each. 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 3 of 3