x

3D printing functional parts

I have much experience with FDM 3D printing. My conclusion is that’s it is more difficult than it needs to be in theory due to it being an open loop system. It is necessary for the user to constantly make adjustments to attempt quality part production. Theoretically a closed loop system would assure print quality. Specific feedback parameters would need to be identified and adjusted automatically by “machine” control. Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Hey @divtec,

Thanks for being apart of the Community.

We're happy to help, but we're not sure we fully understand your question. Please reply with a little more information describing your technical issue or question.

We'll be sure to follow up as soon as possible.

Message 2 of 4

Your over complicating the manufacturing process. It's not that complicated. If your selling in bulk, you will need a manufacturing line set up. It's nice when you can set up a line for a specific product but it's not always possible depending on several factors like how many printers you have, how many individule products you want to make, how much room you have to work in, and your experience level. Not to mention the r&d phase.. If you don't have the experience to keep the flow going, then you need to hire someone who does. There is no closed loop process in fdm manufacturing. You have to think on the go and you will make mistakes. It's going to happen. Best advice I can give is to keep a couple extra machines ready to go and keep plenty of parts on hand. You will have jams, clogs, breakdowns, and lots more problems. What makes a good flow is having someone who knows what they are doing. Problem is, if someone does know what they are doing, you probably won't want to pay what they are worth. Or they probably own their own buisness like I do. 

Message 3 of 4

The constant adjustments are necessary because of wear & tear on your machines. That depends on your consumable quality, printer quality, and how hard you push your machine. I.e. printing at 40mm/s your machine will last alot longer than running at 100mm/s.

Message 4 of 4