x

RookieQuestion

HEELLP!! I’m new to square and relatively technologically impaired!!  My main question among many others is: being an artist, and making many “one of a kind” creations, is it possible to bypass the whole library scenario and simply charge the customer by typing in a price and scanning their card? I haven’t made any sales yet and need to know what to expect! 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Beta Member

Oh yes!  When you open the square app, this is what keypad checkout can be used for.  You can even add a note description. 

I do go to the trouble of creating items for unique pieces, so that i can track sales. I also do this to leverage online sales so there is a single inventory for in person and online. 

Geek In Stitches, Beta Member
Square Shop
Social Media Hub
Message 2 of 6
Beta Member

Good Question for a Rookie,

We have a brick-and-mortar store. We sell many supplies pictured in our liberty and on our website, and we sell online and in-store. We sell a lot of supplies that are not pictured in our library that we sell in-store but not online. We also sell finished products in-store that are not in our library. I list them as an item(like a category) with a variable price. We have a Stained Glass Store, and our finished product can be listed as a Sun Panel, Sun Catcher, Fused Glass, or jewelry, all "one of a kind" and all priced as you ring them up. I hope this helps!!

John Walker

Colors of Glass

Message 3 of 6
Admin

@MotoMaker welcome to the Seller Community! 

Thank you for your support on this @GeekInStitches & @colorsofglass

Max Pete
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Seller Community
Message 4 of 6
Beta Member

@MotoMaker YES! You can completely skip the library and just type in a price when you are in person. The library helps if you want to track inventory or have items you make many of but with one of a kind, there's no reason to make a library unless you want to track inventory.

Message 5 of 6
Beta Member

Hey There MotoMaker,

We also make one-of-a-kind items - each is unique so trying to keep an inventory is really impossible not to mention the amount of behind the scenes work that's needed.  Anyway, I just made up some generic items with no prices - for example I have over 300 handmade Fabric Pins - each is one-of-a-kind so I created one item simply called "Pins" - no price or inventory.  All I do is select Pins, fill in the price and sometimes include a note.  The system adds the Tax and there you go.  I also have other items like Clothing, Purses, Hats, Scarves, etc.  The setup is simple and easy.  So what you have in mind is doable - like art, one has to be a bit creative.

Message 6 of 6