x

Has contactless limit been increased to £100?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Contactless Payment Limit

I was just wandering whether the contactless limit has been increased to £100 in the UK in line with other retailers from today?  I have not seen any information come from Square regarding this.

Message 1 of 29
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Has contactless limit been increased to £100?

Hi everyone, we're glad to confirm that all Square hardware can now accept contactless payments up to £100. The rollout has been completed to 100%. 

If you experience any difficulty, please check the following: 

1. Make sure your Square Terminal is up to date. You can check this in the Support > About section. 

2. If you are using a Square Reader and you are encountering an issue, please try these troubleshooting steps. The reader will update automatically, but you can force an update by renewing the connection (disconnect the reader following the steps @tranguyen mentioned above and pairing it back again). 

1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi everyone, we're glad to confirm that all Square hardware can now accept contactless payments up to £100. The rollout has been completed to 100%. 

1. Make sure your Square Terminal is up to date. You can check this in the Support > About section. 

2. If you are using a Square Reader and you are encountering an issue, please try these troubleshooting steps. The reader will update automatically, but you can force an update by renewing the connection (disconnect the reader following the steps @tranguyen mentioned above and pairing it back again). 

Emma
Community Manager, Square

View Best Answer >

Message 24 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

This is a really poor example of customer support that this is taking this long to roll out.  The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) announced at the end of August that this change would be made in October.  We are almost a month later after the change has been made and still no update in full.  Having just paid £600 for a register I am really beginning to regret my decision if this is an example of customer support.

Message 22 of 29
Admin

I completely understand the rollout has taken longer than expected and appreciate everyone's patience as we complete this work.

From the latest update, we're on track to complete the rollout for the Square Terminal and the Square Register. It took us longer than planned since our engineering team discovered some potential bugs and wanted to ensure that we can resolve those before continue with the update.

We don't have a definite date to share when the work will be completed in case there is any further delay. However, we will have a final update shortly. 

Tra | she/her
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 23 of 29
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Emma
Community Manager, Square
Message 24 of 29

Great News thank you 😊 

Message 25 of 29

Can someone confirm whether the contactless limit has been increased to £100 for the terminal now as well as the reader as my terminal still won't accept over £45 - which is a total pain as most of my sales £50. I have the most up to date software on the terminal.

Message 26 of 29
Admin

Hi @acurnow, I can confirm that the contactless limit has been increased to £100 for the Square Terminal.

If you have the latest software version and the Terminal still doesn't accept contactless payments above £45, can you try to do a quick restart? If the restart doesn't work, we can try a factory reset as well.

Resetting your device will not erase important account information like items, transaction histories, customer lists, or employee permissions. It will all be there when you sign back in.

Before resetting your Terminal, please have the following information on hand since you’ll need it to log back in afterwards:

• WiFi network name and password.

• Account login information (email and password) or device code.

• Location name, if applicable.

• Accessory settings: printer stations, drawers, and any other accessories. Recommendation is to take a picture of the configuration of each connected accessory.

To reset your Square Terminal:

1. Tap More.

2. Select Settings > Hardware.

3. Tap General > About Terminal.

4. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and tap Factory Reset > Confirm Factory Reset.

5. Tap Reset one last time. From here the countdown will begin and your Terminal will reset.

If you’re unable to access the Terminal settings, hold down the power button for 10 seconds until you see a black screen with a count-down timer. Keep holding down the power button on that timer goes to 0 and the screen says you can release the power button.

Once the reset is complete, you’ll need to:

1. Go back through basic setup questions like your time zone.

2. Reconnect to the internet.

3. Sign back in with your email and password or device code.

4. Add accessories such as cash drawers, printers, scanners or scales.

5. Adjust any settings back to your preferences.

I hope this will help!

Tra | she/her
Message 27 of 29

Thank you! Have tried a restart and so far so good!

Message 28 of 29
Admin

Glad to hear that @acurnow! Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with. 

Tra | she/her
Message 29 of 29