x
Super Seller

Why the Square Terminal is perfect for Food Trucks

I run my pizza wagon in Cambridge & utilise a lot of Squares own hardware so thought I’d highlight some of the reasons why I use each bit of kit (will also do some stuff on accessories too). If you’ve got any questions let me know, or if you’re already using the Terminal what have I missed (or what’s it missing)?

The Terminal is a one-stop-shop device that can truly do it all, from taking simple payments to the integrated online order manager.

Item Library

Keeping all your products organised the refreshed UI has a great favourites screen for quick access to frequent items or categories. Modifiers make it easy to customise dishes, automatically adding the charge for extras. 

Order Manager

Set up your online site & customers can place their order to collect or enable local delivery. With configurable prep times, availability for collection & separate hours for deliveries all your orders can be managed from the Terminal. 

Built In Printer

Customer receipts & order tickets can be printed out with the inbuilt 58mm printer. Faster than any battery powered printer on the market, this can really speed up service and make sure nothing gets missed. 

Order stubs can be printed for your walk up customers to make it even easier to remember what order goes to which customer. 
With the integration of the order manager you can be notified of your online orders as they come in & print order tickets to help stay organised.  

Solid Hardware

With true all day battery life & powerful 60w USB C charger the Terminal is a real workhorse. The device updates automatically to bring the best security and user experience. All that’s needed is a Wi-fi or Ethernet connection, so it can connect to the hotspot feature of your phone or larger network. 

Flexibility

As your business grows the Terminal can be incorporated in to larger setups, connecting to barcode scanners & external network or USB printers.

Staff Management

Staff can all have separate codes to login to to the Terminal to control access & can even clock in/out for digital time cards. It’s a ‘business only’ device so no staff checking facebook or login into your business on their phones.

Customer Interaction

With the option to have an order confirmation screen to make sure you’ve got exactly what your customer wants & also a tipping screen with customisable quick amounts the interface is great at guiding the sale when turned to face your customers. 

The Compromises

• New UI doesn’t have the order manager quite yet (but it will be there really soon!)
  • Smaller screen can sometimes make life a little harder for big fingers, but the new UI has improved this loads. 
  • Can’t connect to networks that have a login screen (like BT hot spots or those needed you to accept pop up T&C’s).
  • No Bluetooth accessories. Barcode scanners need to use the USB hub. 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 1 of 4
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Thanks so much for sharing this information for other food truck owners who may be considering Square @Sam_400º 😊

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller

Even if you can't use Bluetooth directly with the terminal, you may be able to pick up a Bluetooth receiver to plug in and connect to, as a way to run wirelessly, just thought I'd put this thought out there for anyone who is a bit troubled by this compromise : )

Matt - He/They
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!
mjdws
Shop MJD Photography
Visit MJD Web Services
Message 2 of 4
Super Seller

You can get 2.4ghz barcode scanners, but this still needs the USB connection so it would still be a case of using the USB hub for the Terminal. 

Within food service not many would need the functionality, but had to come up with more than one compromise 😂

Pizza Is Chill

Message 3 of 4
Admin

Best Answer

Thanks so much for sharing this information for other food truck owners who may be considering Square @Sam_400º 😊

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 4 of 4