x

Daily Import of Gift Cards

Hello,

We use Square as our POS system in our storefront, but have a different system for our online store. We sell gift cards (physical and electronic) on our online store and would like to import those gift cards into Square so customers can use them online and in-store. Is there a way to build a way using the Square API or another resource that we can import these gift cards sold online into our Square system?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

Hi @mferry.  This capability does not currently exist.  Having said that, do you know if your online store vendor has a third-party app that interfaces with Square?  If so, that might be a possibility.  You can search the Square App Marketplace here.

Otherwise, you’d have to use the manual gift card/certificate payment method, which means that’d you’d still need to check your existing gift card system to know what balances are available, etc., which I already know is not ideal.  Normally I’d recommend that you submit a feature request on Square’s Ideate Board.  But, in this case, I am fairly certain that they would just recommend that your gift card vendor create an third-party app to integrate with your Square account, since they give any company the ability to do so using their APIs.

Sorry that I couldn’t give you better news.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!
Message 2 of 3
Super Seller

@mferry ,

I have the same situation as you do.  My online Gift Certificate is not compatible with Square.  So what I have done was create Discounts that are the Gift Certificate number (code) etc that my online store uses.  Then when someone brings in the online code we enter that discount and apply it to the sale.  Then we delete the Discounts from Square and edit the Gift Card for my online store so the person cannot use it at both places.  I know this is not a seamless transaction or integration but it is a workaround I use to allow my customers to use the Gift Certificate that someone gave them as a gift.   I do have a chrome book near my checkout to check the value of the gift certificate to make sure they match.  Just in case someone used $50 of a $100 gift certificate for example.  

My online store did have an integration with Square up to 2 years ago and the Gift Certificates did not transfer over, just the CC processing was through Square.  The reports would just show Square Sales with $ amounts for the transactions. 

I wish that Square would let you Import Gift card amounts and balance data from a csv for this.   

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 3 of 3