x

Square posting verbose inventory and item update notifications to webhook

Hi,

I tried making inventory updates and I found out that the notification received by my webhook contains event_type, merchant_id and location_id and has no details. Furthermore, also discovered that any updates on items (other than inventory) do not result in POST webhook requests.

Does anyone know if there is a way to post detailed inventory and item update notifications to a webhook?

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

@grandBaz I escalated this to our API team for you and they confirmed that these are known issues that we're working to resolve: not much information is included in the webhook inventory response and updating other attributes of an item won’t send a webhook update, only changing the inventory will send a webhook. 

I don't have a timeline to share on when this will be improved but we'll share any updates with you here! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 4

Thanks for your response. If not for push notification, does Square have other ways for clients trying to get what changed using API calls?

Message 3 of 4
Admin

Hi again. I asked our API tem who confirmed if there was a change due to a transaction, then you would receive a PAYMENT_UPDATED webhook - which would include the payment_id (listed as entity_id). You could look this up using RetrievePayment in v1 which would have `itemizations` if it was a POS transaction. Then you could parse through the response and see which items were purchased (and caused the inventory to lower).

But, for manual inventory changes, there’s way to find out what actually changed other than manually looking through and trying to find a difference.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 4