x

What are the minimum and maximum limits for payments?

There is no information about the mimimum and maximum limitations of the «amount_money» parameter values for the «Charge» transaction in the documenation: https://docs.connect.squareup.com/api/connect/v2/#endpoint-charge

But a customer of my Magento 2 extension have reported me that the payments lower than $1 for USD fail with a message.

So what are the actual payment limits?

Message 1 of 38
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Does Square allow merchants to set minimum purchase requirements for debit card transactions?

It's not possible to actually set a minimum credit card charge amount other than the minimum amount of $1 when using your Square Point of Sale app. As @kellyj stated here, "You would have to enforce your own minimum for transactions..."

However, you can set a minimum order amount when using a Square Online website to accept pickup and delivery orders.

1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Charges are always made in the currency of where the account was created. US - USD, CA - CAD.

The limit for a US account is $50,000 USD, the limit for a CA account is $50,000 CAD.

Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @ricandude - I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏

I appreciate you reaching out and bringing this to our attention. I just tested this with my demo account and also are experiencing the same thing. It does look like our team made the decision to change the minimum transaction amount back in January to support sellers who do need this feature.  I understand this is not ideal but the app is working as expected. 

If you need anything else please let me know. 

Message 22 of 38

Hello,

I am new to square and had a few questions.

1. is there a minimum charge amount, I was doing a test run for an invoice and it said payment had to be over $1.00. 

Also, is there a way I can include items that are less than a dollar if it has to be $1 to charge.

2. Can I accept cash? If so, how do i set it up to accept cash?

Thank you.

Message 23 of 38
Super Seller Alumni

Square's minimum amount allowed for a charge/debit sale is $1.  I'm not sure why they set it there, but it can't be changed.  If someone wants to charge/debit an amount under $1, they're out of luck.

Cash sales should be allowed by default, but if you don't see a cash option on the tender screen, go to your device's (not PC's) menu (three horizontal lines) and tap on Payment Types.  There is a toggle switch for Cash - just tap it to cycle it on/off.

Judy T Shumway
Message 24 of 38
Beta Member

could i do minimum charge in Saudi, i want open table with minimum charge 300

Yousef M Alamer
Message 25 of 38

@Yusufalamer Square is not available for payment processing in Saudi Arabia at this time.

Please check our Support Center article on supported countries here. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 26 of 38

Agree we need to be able to change the minimum credit card charges.  Federal law allow businesses to set up to a minimum purchase of $10 required on cards.  Square please change this for all of us small businesses that use your services; things are tough enough right now without losing money on small purchases.

Message 27 of 38

Through research I've done, I found out I can set a $10 minimum purchase requirement for payment by credit cards.  I would've liked to make it $20, but $10 is the maximum Visa and Mastercard will allow.

However, for debit card transactions, whether we can set such a limit or not is apparently up to the merchant's card processor.  So Square, what are your rules on this?  I've read other threads here that talk about your built-in $1 minimum, but I want to be sure I won't be violating the user agreement by making mine $10.

Message 28 of 38
Alumni

It's not possible to actually set a minimum credit card charge amount other than the minimum amount of $1 when using your Square Point of Sale app. As @kellyj stated here, "You would have to enforce your own minimum for transactions..."

However, you can set a minimum order amount when using a Square Online website to accept pickup and delivery orders.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 29 of 38

Thank you, Valentina. But I'm not talking about sales or pre-orders done through my Square Online site. I have a booth at our local farmers' market, where I'm normally paid in cash. I just want to be sure I can refuse to accept debit cards for transactions under $10; Visa and Mastercard already have a rule covering that for CREDIT cards. The market manager is waiting on my answer, so I'll tell her it's okay with Square.

Message 30 of 38
Beta Member

Why do you want to have a minimum card amount it would make sense if the card fee was 1.75% + 20p per transaction but it's just 1.75% so no matter if it's less than 10 or more it still cost you the same doesn't it /?

Message 31 of 38
Beta Member

Hmmm, my card fee is 2.6% + .10 per transaction......

Message 32 of 38
Beta Member

I thought square was just a set % but I'm from the UK 

Message 33 of 38

@Elk1713 Thank you for answering @Brandon-ee.  I tried typing the same rate info and this site's bot kept denying my post, saying I had included some incomplete HTML. 😡 After 3 tries to "fix" it, I gave up.

Message 34 of 38

@Brandon-ee My other reason for setting a minimum at my booth is that customers lacking cash can purchase wooden tokens from the manager of the farmers' market where I primarily sell. Vendors return collected tokens at the end of the show and receive cash in exchange.  Management uses Square to sell the tokens, and any fees they pay are covered by the $10/show booth fee they charge us vendors, not the customers.  So why not encourage customers to pay me with tokens if they don't have enough cash for their small purchases?

Message 35 of 38

Yes, PLEASE make this change where we can increase the minimum charge.  If they're putting a $1 purchase on the credit card, we're paying 12.9% fees on that purchase.  Granted, not a lot of purchases that small, but still, please make this change.  🙂

Message 36 of 38

Thanks for adding your feedback here, @piesbymike. At this time, enforcing a minimum amount yourself would the workaround here. Learn more about how fees are calculated here.  

Message 37 of 38
Beta Member

Square used to impose their own $1 minimum purchase to process a credit transaction.  Apparently, that's not the case anymore.  Someone just came in to our restaurant and bought a to go water for .27 cents and the transaction went through.  Don't get me started on the clerk that ran said transaction.

Message 38 of 38