x

Adding Optional Shipping Insurance to Cart

Adding Optional Shipping Insurance to Cart

Hi, I am just trying to work out how to most accurately reflect shipping costs and I believe that doing by order weight will be how I proceed. However, I wanted to know if there was an option to add an optional extra for shipping insurance based on the cost of the total cart. I tried doing so using a second rate however this just gave the option to choose between 2 different prices (one based on weight, one based on price). I want the price to be set by weight and then an top up amount to add different levels of insurance. 

I'm not sure if this is possible but any help would be very much appreciated.

5 Comments
Admin

Hey @Re-Stored,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Seller Community!

I took a look into this and unfortunately it looks like there's no current way to achieve what you're looking to do here. Shipping rates at the moment allow you to select one of a number of pre set rates, however the system doesn't allow for selecting multiple shipping rates or shipping add ons such as insurance.

As a workaround, you could try something like adding an insurance option to each individual item - it's a bit of a clunky workaround, but it's something you could try. 

Other than that you could even make a "Shipping Insurance" item with different price options, and place it prominently on your homepage for visibility - though I understand this isn't as elegant as having the option just appear when a customer selects their shipping rate!

I've moved your thread to our Feature Requests boards, hopefully this is an area we can improve in the future!

Hey @Seamus thanks for responding to my question. I will try including it as a separate item and see how clear it is from a customer's point of view. If not I may just have to do shipping based on price and offer shipping insurance on all items over a certain pricepoint and incorporate it into shipping cost.

Thanks again for answering and offering suggestions.

Admin

No worries @Re-Stored, feel free to reach out again if you need help with anything else 🙂

Yes I need this too Seamus.  It would be lovely to put a checkmark in the checkout for insurance or anything really (gift wrapping comes to mind) 🙂  If the OP has the amount of items that I do, then it makes it impossible to update every one and yes you're right, putting more shipping costs that includes insurance would not be elegant at all 🙂

Kind Regards

Robyn

Square Community Moderator

Thanks for adding your vote to this feature request,  @RobbieB. With the holiday season coming up, I can definitely see how having these options would be helpful! The workaround above is currently still the best way to achieve this, but we'll let you know about any updates to this feature request 😊