x

Can I have an employee clock in/out on their own phone?

I've got just one part-time employee and I'd like him to be able to clock in/out on his own phone. Is that possible through the POS app? Thanks for any guiadance!

Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Happy to explain further.

In the Team  tab, I clicked Permissions and created a permission "role" giving access to timecards via the Dashboard, but nothing else. However, that didn't resolves the mobile app issue.

When I contacted Support, they said I also needed to enable access to the POS app in the role in order for him to clock in/out on his own phone.

This morning, I had Jayce log into the mobile POS app (with his own email and password - not passcode). He had a slightly different menu on the the left side of the screen, which included a clock in/out option, unlike the clock icon on my mobile device.

So he clicked that option, and when I checked the Timecards tab on the dashboard, indeed, a timecard had been created with the correct start time. He also clicked that option when clocking out, and the time was reflected via the dashboard, too.

Hope this helps!

View Best Answer >

Message 6 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Square

UPDATED: See the thread below!

Thanks for posting, @Cindy_SPC, welcome to the Community. There isn't currently a way to do this Timecards, I'm afraid. There isn't a way for mobile cashiers to clock in/out by signing in to the Square app with their own phone. Definitely see how it would be useful and will pass on the suggestion. Let us know if you have any other questions! 

Message 2 of 7

I am also looking for a mobile cashier to be able to clock in and out. We have multiple technicians in the field and are currently using paper timesheets and paper credit card info forms. I'd rather give them the ability to collect credit card payments in the field as well as record their timesheets. It would be great if it was in 1 app. Please let me know if there is an option for this.

Message 3 of 7

Good news: There IS a way to do this, and we just tried it out this morning and it works.

First, I created an employee permission to give access to my employe, Jayce, to sign in/out via the dashboard. But he wants to do it on his phone when he's working outside our studio.

So I had him install the Square POS app, and try to log in, but that failed. 

Here are additional steps I received from Square Support to allow employees to log in on their own phones via the POS app:

"Right now, the permissions you have set up for the Employee-Timecards group (of which Jayce is a member) only provides Dashboard access. You give him access to the app itself, you'll need to toggle on "Access Shared Point of Sale" from that permission group page here: https://squareup.com/dashboard/employees/permissions/roles/5242524

Once you've made that change, you can visit your Employee List to update the passcode that he'll use to sign in when logging onto the app.

The one thing I'm not certain of is that creating a particular "permission" appeared to be charging me an additional $5/mo. I'm not exactly sure if that will increase my fee from $35 (monthly charge + 1 employee) to $40 (monthly charge + 1 employee + 1 permission), or if that $5 "permission" fee is the "first" fee Square talks about. Will let you know once my billing statement comes through.

Message 4 of 7
Square

Hmm, can you provide a little more info on how Jayce is set up, @Cindy_SPC? I'm not sure I quite understand.

If they use Shared Register access they would have a passcode to clock in/out, but your account login would have to be used to sign into the app on the device. With the Mobile Register access, they get their own login to use the app, but there isn't a way to clock in/out through that. Are they just adjusting their timecards through Dashboard?

In regards to pricing, it's just the $5 per employee, regardless of the permissions each employee has, so you shouldn't see any change there! 

Message 5 of 7

Best Answer

Happy to explain further.

In the Team  tab, I clicked Permissions and created a permission "role" giving access to timecards via the Dashboard, but nothing else. However, that didn't resolves the mobile app issue.

When I contacted Support, they said I also needed to enable access to the POS app in the role in order for him to clock in/out on his own phone.

This morning, I had Jayce log into the mobile POS app (with his own email and password - not passcode). He had a slightly different menu on the the left side of the screen, which included a clock in/out option, unlike the clock icon on my mobile device.

So he clicked that option, and when I checked the Timecards tab on the dashboard, indeed, a timecard had been created with the correct start time. He also clicked that option when clocking out, and the time was reflected via the dashboard, too.

Hope this helps!

Message 6 of 7
Square

Wow, that's great, taught me something new!

And just to add for anyone else that views the thread, the permission necessary in Mobile Point of Sale access is "Change Settings: Offline Payments, Instant Deposit, etc." which allows the employee to enable "Employee Management" in their settings. (Once they've done so, you can also turn off the permissions, and timecards will remain available.) 

@ljsherb, see above, if you haven't already!

Message 7 of 7