x

Feature Request - Have a default selection for items with variations

Feature Request - Have a default selection for items with variations

I have an item with 3 different option sets to create 9 variations.

I've noticed that when loading the product page, no variations are selected, forcing the user to have to click each one to reveal the price for that variation.

I'd like to be able to specify a default selection set on a per-item basis so that when the page loads, a specific variation is selected already.

An example would be setting the most popular selling item variation to 'default', as this may lead to more conversions as it's only one click to add to cart, rather than multiple clicks to select each variation option, and then adding to cart.

6 Comments
Admin

Hey @nitsuj,

Thanks for your feedback. I took a look on my testing account and can see what you mean!

One possible workaround for this would be to list the prices for variations in the item description for the online store, or you could look at making multiple different items for different variations to make it less of hassle to look at 9 different variations.

I can see that having the ability to set a default variation would be handy though - we'll track feedback for this feature within this thread moving forward.

Beta Member

I have the same issue as mentioned.

I use options to display some important qualities about certain products. Some of these products only have one option and it is not even selected by default which means my clients have to click on that single option before even being able to add the item to the cart.

Having square automatically select the first option as the default or adding the option to select a default option would save a lot of time and hassle for my customers.

Besides even if the first item is selected as default, it seems more natural that way, and clients can still select the following options as needed. I believe it turns away customers when they come to add an item to the cart and it gives them an error message to select the options.

Please consider adding this as a feature.

Thanks!

Admin

Hey @hieraaujourdhui,

Thanks for reaching out! Can you show me a screenshot of how one of these items looks when you're bringing it up? My thoughts are that if there is only one variation then there need not be any additional variation / modifier sets that you need to select for that option - but I'm having difficulty imagining the example, so please let me know more if you can 🙂

If you're looking to use the option of selecting a variation or modifier to display additional information, is there a reason you can't include this info within the item description?

Beta Member

Hey @Seamus,

Thanks for the quick reply.

We run an online record store and use options to specify the quality rating of our used records and album covers. In some instances, we have multiple quality ratings for the same record titles since we have multiple used copies of varying quality.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about:

(In this example having the options already ticked by default would be great!)

Capture.PNG

The reason we use options to display our ratings for our records is that it allows customers to use filters when sorting through our inventory in the Shop All and all other category pages. This means customers can select the quality of the record, cover, and the decade of the songs they are looking to buy.

This is why we don't want to put this information in the description as the functionality we want would not be available that way.

Capture2.PNG

Hope this helps you understand better.

Admin

Thanks for the detailed explanation here @hieraaujourdhui!

It makes a lot more sense now in context. This one is a bit of a double edged sword - I imagine forcing the customer to select an option is also a way of preventing issues that might occur if there was actually a pre-set default selection chosen for them.

An example here would be that if you had a record of 3 different qualities and the customer clicked to buy the default option without thinking about or paying attention to their selection, this could then create an issue if they bought a "G" but had actually intended to buy a "VG+". Yes you've currently got an extra step by not having a default option and forcing the customer to make a selection, however you're also preventing any possible consequences if the customer makes the wrong decision by blindly clicking to buy the default without proper consideration for what they are buying.

With that said, either scenario seems like an edge case - I took a look at your website and found the process of selecting a used record pretty easy and trouble free, and can't imagine too many of your customers are going to give up because they have to make a selection on the quality of an LP or cover!

From a personal perspective (as someone who buys a lot of records online), this wouldn't be getting in my way - I'd actually appreciate being given the heads up had I not realised it a selection was available to me:

Though I do get your point!

Ultimately having the option to choose would be ideal, as would displaying every variation's price within the listing. I'll share your feedback with the eCommerce team, I appreciate the screenshots and detail you went into explaining how it works with your business, this helps give a lot more context when sharing feedback with product teams. While I'm not sure if this is something that will be implemented in the future, I'll update this thread if I hear of any changes!

Beta Member

I would like this feature set as well. Please consider including it asap.