x

How to change personal name not business name?

How to change personal name not business name?

I need help with this too, but the only option I can find under "Personal Information" is to change my business name. I have a typo and would like to correct It without having to start over with my online shop, etc. 

1 Verified Answer
EJ_
Verified Answer

Re: How to change personal name not business name?

@CKinkade Sorry for the late reply here,

Unfortunately you aren’t able to edit the legal name you used to activate your Square account. If you'd like to fix a typo with your activation name, you'll need to create a new Square account.

Fortunately the activation name is not public facing in any way. 

227 Comments

Square won't let you. It's been an ongoing issue for me personally since 2017 and I'm sure prior to that. If you delete your account and start a new one, you will lose all your information! I've reported them to the BBB as well as other entities. They have their customers operating under false identities in a lot of cases. Their response is always something like "we're sorry...working on it". Rest assured they do not care to fix the problem. 

Have they not fixed this issue yet???  I have divorced and need my account to have my maiden name on it.  Also I want to get a square card but can’t because the last name is my married name and not my current legal name.  
if the only way to fix this is to close my account (that I have had for years and years) then I think I will shop around for other options since I have to start over anyway. 😞

How can you justify this legally? 

My name had legally changed. 

Therefore your losing money yo someone that doesn't legally exist. 

I have no less then 5 legal documnet stating what my nsme is. As well ss sbout 25 forms of idvwith this "new" name. Fix it please. We now have other processing options 

Perdonsly im going yo switch to schdeluicity 

Acually, I did a test order and did a refund your PERSONAL NAME appears on the refund along with your business name. This is not OK, how to change this??

Beta Member

I’m in the same situation. I’ve been using Square since it’s inception and I even was offended by the little support bot addressing me by my dead name! Same with the debit card that can’t even address me by my now legal name! 

Opening a whole new account and losing over ten years of sales data, customer data and inventory data is stupid. 

Calling me by my dead name is very offensive. There has to be a better way. 

Beta Member

I have a strong feeling that they used the names as a database key and now they’re trying to find a way to undo that programming mistake. 

I got a divorce in 2018 I’ve been trying since then to get my name changed on all my accounts. Square did not have that option but my name has legally been changed since 2018. I’m just wondering why don’t they have that option. Square why can’t you let us send verification of who you are like other banking companies. With technology as advanced as we have this is kind of ridiculous. I don’t want to have to re-create another account for my business just because of this personal name issue someone please help me.

So my husband created the square account so his name is on it, he doesn't take appointments (he is the co-owner) and I don't want to pay $50/month when in reality there's only one person scheduling appointments. This is frustrating considering creating another square account to get the free appointment option

Hi EJ, 

I'm having a hard time believing that Square cannot help with a legal name change. I've taken so much time to set up my Square account, and now I'm setting up Quickbooks to sync with it, but you're saying I have to create a whole new Square account with ALL the same information except for my last name? I dont want to see my late husband's name on my account and I certainly don't want to start all over again.

Thanks, Laura