x
Super Seller

Is there a way to limit item or category availability depending on time of day? ex. Breakfast

For online ordering, there needs to be a feature that allows restaurants to limit the availability of certain items depending on the time of day. For example, if your breakfast menu is only available until 3pm, there needs to be an option to make these items unavailable after 3pm.

Michelle Savage
Co-Founder & President
Savage Goods | @savagegoods | savagegoods.com
Message 1 of 74
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Good news, all - this feature has been built out and is ready to use!🎉

@Tom outlined how these new Time-Based Categories will function in this Product Update post, so head there to get started. Once you've applied specific day and time availabilities, the items shown to your customers as available for purchase will change automatically throughout the day and/or week, depending on your chosen days and hours for each category.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 63 of 74
73 REPLIES 73
Beta Member

Hi @Valentina 

Can you confirm this will allow me to limit my orders to be picked up on a specific date? 

From my quick read, it seems to say that we can now set up menus to be displayed at a certain date and time and for multiple menus. 

The way our store works, we're getting absolutely wrecked with the turnaround issue — we try to sell pies for pickup on a later date and only on that specific day. For example, If you order a blueberry pie, it will only be available for pickup on Friday. If you order a pumpkin pie, it would only be available next week saturday. 

The current setup (until this announcment), the pies are all available in 2 hour turnaround and i use modifiers to force customers to pick a date, for example "July 28th". Their email notificaitons will say "avilable in 2 hours from now". 

Are we still not able to change orders after they're placed to sync them with the app? Am I still stuck with a long complicated paper trail of updated actual pickup dates and time and work on them separately from the "Orders" section of the app which is 100% useless since it shows incorrect times and pickups?

Message 64 of 74
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @hratchad - I can step in for Isabelle here while she is out. We will notify everyone here as soon as we have more information to share on this feature. 

Thanks for your patience!

Joe
Message 65 of 74

THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE I COULD HAVE ASKED FOR! ALL CAPS APPRECIATION!!!

Message 66 of 74
Beta Member

@JenNance  Until you realize that you can't sell products for pickup on a later date. 

Message 67 of 74
Super Seller

Hi there! The Time-Based Categories function, at least in its current state, does not actually solve this problem.

As you can see from the additional requests for this feature, and the comments on Time-Based Categories function announcement, it is a first step but does not come close to solving the issue.

When a Category is available "only during certain days and times" it is not available for pre-order outside of that availability window. Like many restaurants, we have two distinct menus (morning and afternoon), but people OFTEN pre-order for pickup. So, they'll be placing an order for Saturday morning on Friday night, etc. As of right now, we have to manually change our menus twice a day, which is obviously unsustainable.

I am seriously considering moving our Online Store to a different platform (such as ChowNow) that has this functionality, as it has become such a frustrating issue. Is there any update on this becoming available through Square/Weebly? 

Michelle Savage
Co-Founder & President
Savage Goods | @savagegoods | savagegoods.com
Message 68 of 74

We have had three people order today and we are closed. We have in big letters Closed Monday on our beginning page but customers just don't read, they assume if they can order we are open.  There needs to be a way other than manually toggling of and on accept orders to stop orders outside of business hours.  Otherwise we have unhappy customers! and need to issue refunds which costs us money.  I have posted about this before and see that several have so please fix this.  

Message 69 of 74

Hi,

Trying to have menu items be available at only certain dayparts.  Example, breakfast items until 11 am and then lunch thereafter.  At the terminal, this is not a big deal, but online and app sales

Message 70 of 74
Alumni

I've moved your post over to this thread, where others have expressed interest in being able to have different menus for different times of the day. Our team is working on a feature that should allow you to accomplish what you've described here, so keep your eyes peeled!

We'll be sure to post an update here in this thread as soon as we have one to share, @luckybolt.

Valentina
Message 71 of 74

Message 72 of 74

ISSUE FOR CHILI FEED.jpgRight after subtotal is the element we want to hide or remove. 

Message 73 of 74
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Troop52 and welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to an existing thread that goes over changing your available pickup times/dates.

There's not a way to remove that text but you can update the available times that customers can pick up your orders.

Ashley C
Message 74 of 74