x

Not all Discounts Appear

I have some discounts that don't appear as an option when an individual item is selected.  Instead, I have to go to the discount folder and scroll to find the discount that I'm looking for.  Then, this discount is applied to the entire order.  This problem exists with variable $, variable % and fixed $ discounts.  Why is this coded this way?  If I need to discount a single item a custom amount, it is not possible unless I create a discount on the spot, something this is beyond impractical.

Another way that this can become a problem I will outline in a specific example.  My business is a coffee shop and we offer a $0.25 discount when a customer supplies us with their own mug.  The "MUG" discount option isn't listed in discounts for a single item.  If I go into the discount folder, it only applies $0.25 discount one time.  So, if I have a couple come in and they both bring their own mugs, I have to create a custom discount for them, or, I have to program "ONE MUG $0.25," "TWO MUGS $0.50," "THREE MUGS $0.75," etc.

This seems like a pretty big programming oversight in my opinion.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Admin

Hey @Bryan1, thanks for sharing. You're correct, there are a few limitations with variable and dollar discounts at the item level. We are tracking this issue and I'll be sure to share your feedback with our product liaison team — you're not the only one!

What you're doing by creating a variable discount and applying it at the time of the sale is the best work-around for now. If you haven't done so already, you may want to add your variable discounts to your grid for quicker access — this will help you save time as you apply the discount during the sale.

More information about managing discounts is available in our Support Center.

Thank you again for taking the time to share this. We're constantly working to improve based on our seller's insight. Keep in touch!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 2