x
Beta Member

Drive Thru using Ipad and Terminal connection

Is anyone using iPad connected to "Terminal" for a Drive-Thru coffee shop. I currently use Square at 5 different locations (without drive-thru) and all is well. We just started using the Ipad --> Terminal wireless connection ---> KDS and it seem to work fairly well although when it gets busy sometimes the connection may drop temporarily. We're currently working on a Drive-Thru and wondering if anyone is using this option or if it's a good way to go? We'll have a drive-thru pickup window as well as a walk-up window. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks group!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Super Seller

I think this would be an ideal way to go @kmacmmurchy .  The wireless nature allows you to take an order anywhere in the store and just send it to the terminal for payment.  (little secret, you can even use a terminal with open tickets to do some cool things but shhhh).  Ideally, you could have the terminal right there at the window for the customer payments and mount it, but I would be aware that weather is not always friendly.  I prefer the model where you just present the terminal and the customer inserts the card and follows the prompts.  I love our terminal set up for a forward facing customer display.

Donnie-M

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 9
Admin

Do you have this set up in a more permanent way, @kmacmmurchy (rather than someone holding it out a window)? I'd love to see a picture of your set up if you do.

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 3 of 9
Beta Member

I'm just in the process of building the drive-thru, but trying to be proactive.  I was thinking I may strap the terminal on a stick like they do at McDs.Space Pole Payment Paddle like this link.

Message 4 of 9
Super Seller

@kmacmmurchy The terminal has a mount!!!

https://squareup.com/shop/hardware/us/en/products/countertop-mount 

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 5 of 9
Super Seller

This is the worst design ever ๐Ÿ™ˆ

I use a spacepole option for a verifone terminal. Had to cut a small lip off the bottom & make one of the holes larger to fit the screw for the terminal though - but holds it solidly with no wobble in articulated arms. 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 6 of 9
Super Seller

I set up in a carpark (pizza wagon) & used this sort of set up last winter (connected terminal in beta/alpha). 

Worked really well, started with a wired intercom with camera where they had to press a button but then charged to a Bluetooth intercom that had an infrared sensor & headset. 

like others have said, weather was a big factor in how I built the stand for everything. It will be being put back to use in Nov so will try & take some pictures too. 

Cool thing with the terminal using Wi-Fi rather than Bluetooth is that you can use an intercom with a SIM card in it to do this over long distance, I had considered having someone at home just answering the intercom & entering the order on an iPad & sending to to the terminal from there! 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 7 of 9
Beta Member

Look forward to the picture and thanks for the feedback.

Message 8 of 9
Beta Member

So putting some more thought into this and I'm wondering will I need to use "Tickets" with a KDS and 2 POS's? Currently the iPad POS is tied up until the terminal payment is made and then the order is not visible to the barista until it's paid. I haven't used tickets as we are a quick serve coffee house, but I'm guessing this will be most efficient with a drive-thru to keep the line moving?

Message 9 of 9