x
Admin

Have you considered expanding your offerings to include retail items, meal kits or cooking classes?

Happy Thursday everyone ❤️

In the latest Future of Commerce Report, we found that nearly 3 in 5 consumers (57%) have purchased retail items at a local restaurant in the past year, and more than 2 in 5 (41%) have purchased other non-core items like premade frozen meals, meal or cocktail kits, or an online cooking class.

As many businesses start considering expanding their offerings beyond standard dining to help diversify revenue and grow their brand, we would love to know if you re actively offering retail items and cooking classes at your businesses.

Look forward to reading all your insights!

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller

We're a winery that has a restaurant 4 days a week.  Adding in cooking classes is relatively easy for us because we're not a 7 day a week restaurant and our chef isn't the one that does the cooking classes - allows him the time off he needs while still offering a popular event that customers regularly fill up.  We're a winery and have some retail stuff and snacky type food, especially for the days we don't have food service.

Message 2 of 5
Super Seller Alumni

Ooh, I remember thinking I'd do something similar but with basic espresso and latte art courses. Are you able to offer any insight as to why you launched this offering? Which came first, supply or demand? Any fun curve balls since the classes started? Thanks for your time!

Message 3 of 5
Super Seller

We started them so long ago that I don't even remember all the details.  They are one of our most popular events and it's more like a social event and a bit less like a cooking class but everything depends on the teacher so I would say gear the class towards the skillset/personality of the teacher and then tweak it from there based on demand.  I would definitely just start doing them and don't spend a lot of time on the framework - maybe even do a test class with some friends to determine what the framework looks like.  You may be surprised with what the attendee is actually looking to learn - doesn't always align with what you're looking to teach.

Message 4 of 5
Super Seller Alumni

I'll have to take a proper photo when I'm back in-store tomorrow but yes, we offer all sorts of things on top of our lines of retail coffee and take-home alternative milks!

We have on consignment a local candle and fragrance maker, a baby toy/tool supplier, and children's clothing. I'm waiting on my local comic shop to put together a little perspex display of single-issues and trade paperbacks just so we can have something to add to a little book exchange section we're building in the back of the store. 🙂

Message 5 of 5