x

How do I set up 2 registers at one location?

How do I set up multiple registers for one account? I have a drive up and a dining room...I know this is easy, but I'm struggling...

Message 1 of 22
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

You can be logged in both devices you're using at once. So if you have an iPad at your drive-up window and your dining room, you would just need to sign into each with your account information, and all payments would go to your account.

That's the simple setup, but from there you can get a little more complex, depending on your business needs. For example, you can enable Employee Management features that allow you to track sales and setup register permissions. 

Let me know if there is anything I can help clarify!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Square

Best Answer

You can be logged in both devices you're using at once. So if you have an iPad at your drive-up window and your dining room, you would just need to sign into each with your account information, and all payments would go to your account.

That's the simple setup, but from there you can get a little more complex, depending on your business needs. For example, you can enable Employee Management features that allow you to track sales and setup register permissions. 

Let me know if there is anything I can help clarify!

Message 2 of 22

Hi I am a small takeaway shop I have 2 square set ups but when I use one the other prints the same docket and opens both tills 

Message 3 of 22

I set up two different devices under my account and it works really well.  What's great is at the end of the day you can run reports that show the detail by both devices, such as the sales report.  In addition, when you're updating items etc...  all the details synch to both devices.  It's a great feature. 

Message 4 of 22
Beta Member

is it possible to run 2 registers with a single shared cash drawer?

Message 5 of 22
Square

One way to set that up is to have both your devices connected to the same ethernet/wifi printer, and to have a cash drawer connected to that printer. Then each sale would automatically pop the drawer open. 

With that setup or otherwise, you can enable cash drawer management for each device so you can account for the cash sales coming from each device. 

Message 6 of 22

How did you set up the second iPad to open the the cash drawer?

Message 7 of 22

We are using two register with one drawer. It hasn't worked that well so far.

Part of the issue is the cash drawer management isn't as expected: There's no cash out/count out at night, so you just end up either with a zero cash drawer start in both drawers, and then enter your deposit after taking out your starting drawer, which leaves you with one drawer short and one over as far as the registers can tell, or worse you have to add the starting cash drawer amount back into the deposit amount. 

We haven't yet found a solution we love, but we are working on policy and procedures to make it workable.

This week we are testing:

Both cash drawers start at zero. Register one gets closed with the total cash deposit amount entered. Register two gets closed with zero entered. This means register one is always over, and register two is always short. Hopefully the same amount. But of course, it's never exact, so we add the over/short together to get a "real total over/short" for the day. 

Don't know how we'll manage it when we actually have shift changes and drawer cashouts. Sigh...

Message 8 of 22
Square

I'm glad you brought that up, @LovesThrift, there's certainly a limitation in that regard. While the hardware setup is possible, there isn't currently a way to run a "shared" cash drawer report. So you can track collected amounts easily enough, but you're right that drawer reports do not account for each other. 

Hopefully we offer a better solution for this use-case in the future, I'll update this thread if so!

Message 9 of 22

I'm hoping this issue gets fixed soon.  We really would like to enable a single cash drawer report when we use two ipads with a single drawer.

Message 10 of 22
Super Seller Alumni

This is the way we handle it.

• We have register 1 (main register) and register 2 (extra) 
  • Every day we open register 1 with $100.00 starting cash and register 2 with $0.00 starting cash.
  • We ring sales with both registers during the day using the same drawer.  
  • At close of day we close out register 2 and enter the same amount is shown as expected cash.  So if we sold $100.00 we enter $100.00. We always show a zero difference on this register.
  • We then count the drawer and subtract register 2 funds from the total. In this case, we subtract $100.00.
  • We enter the difference as the in-drawer closing amount.  This will give us our over and short for the day.

This has worked for us with no problems.

Message 11 of 22
Beta Member

It should be easy enough to implement a button that we check to make two drawers shared.  The only difference would be that you only need to ask how much the starting cash is once, and then you would only need to print once.  The record of cash sale from each device is already being tracked through the transaction, so really this would be very simple to add them up and print on one report at the end of the shift.  Please implement this, its simple and adds a lot of value for your customers.

Message 12 of 22

How were you able to set up 2 devices. I have 2 devices in 1 store and the newly setup device has the same inventory from the 1st device but the inventory stock is 0. I did something wrong when setting up the 2nd register.

Message 13 of 22
Square Community Moderator

Welcome back to the Community, @kjscakerybakery

Just to confirm - you're logged into the same account on both devices? 

How do you normally update your stock? If you've updated recently, you may need to logout and log back in for it to update. 

I will keep an eye out for your reply๐Ÿ‘€

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 14 of 22

I had 1 register in my store and it works just fine. I then added a 2nd register in the same location. I named the locations the same KJ's Cakery Bakery Sweet Shop. I used the feature to assign the same inventory to my 2nd register and I see the inventory in  register 2. My problem is my inventory. Maybe I am misunderstanding inventory in the same location with 2 registers. Do they share the same inventory including counts or not? When I sign in to register 1, as an example, item a has 100 in stock, but when look at register 2 for the same item it shows out of stock. Not sure what I m doing wrong. 

Message 15 of 22

So how do I set this up so the both donโ€™t run together

Message 16 of 22

I really would like to use both registers at one time but serving different customers

Message 17 of 22
Admin

Hi @bettyboop1, thanks for flagging this. 

I'd be happy to help, but I need some more information about how your hardware is set up.

Do you have two Square Registers with two external printers connected to both of them? Or is it one printer? Is it a USB/Bluetooth/WiFi printer? 

Can you let me know how your printer profiles are set up on both devices? 

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for your response. 

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question โœจ
Message 18 of 22
Beta Member

We have two square registers with their own cash drawers, one at front, one at take-out window. We also have a Micronics printer connected to each cash drawer.

Some transactions are set to print on both printers (drink orders go to front, ice cream go to take-out, for example). Orders printing at front printer from either register cause the front register to open, which is a problem if no one is there. How do we set it so transactions only open one register?

Message 19 of 22
Square Community Moderator

Hi @ibrogden,

Thanks for writing back into the community ๐Ÿ‘‹

With printer-driven cash drawers, it's unfortunately not possible to specify that the drawer should only open when a certain requirement is met. I'm hoping some other sellers in the community with similar set ups can share their workarounds for this here - sorry for the hassle! 

Message 20 of 22

I don't have an answer to your questions but I do have a question for you. Are your 2 square registers using the same inventory? I had 1 register and then I added a 2nd one for my store. I synced and can see the inventory for register 1 on

register 2 but the stock says out of stock for all of the items in register 2. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. 

Message 21 of 22