x
Super Seller Alumni

How do you keep your Menu Fresh & Updated?

Hey Foodie Friends!

Here's another Question for ya to pick your brain and inspire some other folks.

Keeping things fresh and fun is always important, and bringing in new items can reinvigorate your menu and keep your customers coming back.

How do you keep your Menu fresh & changing?

Do you do Weekly or Monthly Specials?

Do you do anything fun for holiday seasons?

Do you rotate things through and keep popular items as standards, or is it always something new?

What have been your most popular items?

How do you promote your new things?

How do you keep track of what works and what doesn't?

Looking forward to hearing what works for you!
Pesso

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Super Seller

@pessosices, love the challenges to think about the things that can become mundane if we don't keep focus on being intentional with every opportunity to create positive experiences for our customers. 

As a coffee shop we serve pastries, a few heavier breakfast items and standard grab-&-go food items from a retail fridge. 

With coffee we have our staples, the varieties customers always ask for. We try to never run out of those. We also roast small-batch and single-origin offerings that change regularly for the more inquisitive customers wanting something new. It's our job to introduce customers to the depth available in coffee and show them there is more than what they've always had. 

We take the same approach for the bakery and heavier food items by maintaining a core offering then mixing it up with guest pastries, even guest bakers for a period of time. We use our bakery (also retail shelves, fridge and walls) to highlight other makers in town. We bring in food items and pastries from other shops from time to time, display products from local makers on the shelves, and hang art on the walls to bring attention to the amazing artisans we have in our community. Everything is for sale and artisans provide labels along with their products to bring more exposure to what they are doing. 

Maintaining the staples, provides a sense of comfort and stability, mixing it up with new varieties and flavors along with introducing local artisans provides some modern edge and exposure for others in town. I share about this model whenever I can and believe other local business owners will benefit from using some of the same tactics while boosting local spending and making. 

Promotion: Social is always a good place to start but we're finding Square marketing has a bigger impact. Sending emails, some texts, and using coupons has been a huge advantage for us. 

Looking forward to reading about the exciting things others have found successful.

Take care of yourself and, as life provides, someone else too.
Message 2 of 27
Super Seller Alumni

Thanks @Anthem ! That's what I love about the Seller Community - it's a great place to keep each other motivated and improving.

Oh man, those offerings sound absolutely fantastic! It seems like y'all really have a handle on your mission and how to bring it to the people, and that's really amazing!

I love the mission of introducing and educating your customers on new and interesting layers to coffee.

Keeping a core group and adding in guest items is wonderful, and bringing in guest bakers & other local makers is such a great idea! That's a great way to cross promote businesses, keep your decor evolving, and keep things interesting and engaging for everyone.

I absolutely love everything you're doing and I'm so glad you've found a system that works for you - thanks for spreading the word about it!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 3 of 27
Super Seller Alumni

We add on changes seasonally for our clients. We try not to change too much because many of our return clients expect some of the same offerings all year round. You don't want to remove the favorites!

Message 4 of 27
Super Seller Alumni

Thanks for sharing, @Yelibelly

That's a great point - keeping things new is great, but keeping the favorites is important too!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 5 of 27
Super Seller

One of the biggest things we did with our restaurant in the past few years was drill down our top items and get rid of everything else. 

We used to do daily featured items or "specials" but I felt they never got enough momentum to really see how they could perform and if they could make it as a staple item on the menu. 

This past season (we are a seasonal business) I implemented Weekly Features. This way I was able to market them properly and give them a chance to see how our customers would respond. I would make a video like this https://youtu.be/k8S28sngVWM and promote it via email and social platforms as well as in-house postings and talking points for our team. 

By doing that our "Weekly Specials" doubled the "Daily Specials" sales from 2020. And we were able to see an item that was very popular and will be on our Menu for 2022. 

I track each of our Menu items weekly/monthly to see their popularity. I am not a Food & Beverage guy by trade but this stuff is kinda fun. Using the data to determine what stays/goes takes the guesswork out of things. And the weekly feature with proper promotion behind it gives us an opportunity to test new items, keep things fresh and let the demand drive the direction of the Menu. 

The restaurant is closed now but I'm looking forward to testing out some new items next season and see what makes the cut.

Luke Nieuwland
Owner/Operator
https://www.whiskyrun.com/
Co-Founder
https://birrdi.com/
Co-Founder
https://www.lakeeffect.ca/
Message 6 of 27
Super Seller Alumni

Thanks, @LukeNieuw !

I love that you took note of what was happening, and did the work to drill down into just the top items. It's scary, but it's so worth it!

Daily specials are definitely hard to get momentum going, and switching it to weekly is a great plan! Giving them time for customers to try them out, and to promote them (especially with great videos like those!) is huge. Even 2 weeks to a month would work great!

That's really amazing that you were able to double the sales of them, and even upgrade some of them to full menu items!

Gotta love using the data to get a true sense of things without the guesswork.

Definitely let us know how your efforts work going into 2022 - looking forward to hearing more!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 7 of 27
Super Seller

We run concessions during the summer and fall we move to indoor craft shows and our table changes as we move closer to Christmas. Not sure I have much to offer.

Message 8 of 27
Super Seller Alumni

Thanks for sharing, @MamiesToffee !

I'm sure you have plenty of good insights to offer!

Do you change up your offerings for concessions, or just keep things the same?

How do you pick your items for your craft shows? 

Maybe some other people's answers here can inspire you a bit!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 9 of 27
Super Seller

Our concessions we offer grab and go items and our chocolates we keep in a cooler. As for craft shows we bring in Fall and Christmas Items. We don’t sell chips or drinks at craft shows. Check out our Facebook page to see our set up. 

Message 10 of 27

I'm new to this. What's a square super seller?

Message 11 of 27
Super Seller Alumni

Hey @SunnySideKitche 

Super Sellers are just Square Sellers that spend a bunch of time here in the Seller Community answering questions and helping other sellers connect with each other. It's a lot of fun helping to make this place a great productive environment!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 12 of 27
Super Seller

Special of the Day

We run a new special each day and have a weekly menu and rotate them around.  Limited Time Offerings (LTO's) give you ability to do things that aren't normal or off menu, but keep things fresh and interesting.

Yesterday it was Lasagna with meat sauce, simple salad, & garlic bread..Today Chicken Casserole, white cheddar mac-n-cheese, green beans, & roll.

Think Blue Plate Special!

Donnie-M

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 13 of 27
Super Seller Alumni

That's fantastic, @Donnie-M !

Oh man, those specials sound pretty wonderful and super delicious. 

Especially keeping a formula of a main, a side, and a bread. Really great way to do it!

Thanks for sharing

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 14 of 27
Beta Member

We have a standard menu of about 13 classics, and run specials daily, which are shown on our Google Slide menu. We should more heavily feature the specials on social media, but since opening our second shop, I've been slacking heavily on IG and FB posts.  

Message 15 of 27
Super Seller Alumni

Thanks for jumping in here @dutchmonkey !

13 classics plus some specials sounds great!

How often do you switch up those specials? Every day or do you keep them running for a little longer like @LukeNieuw found?

We also use Google Slides for our Menu - I'm glad that's working for you!

It's definitely hard to keep up with social media when everything else gets crazy. 
I found that setting a goal and making a little spreadsheet and taking a lot of photos at one time and drafting the posts makes things a lot easier since all of my posts are batched and ready to go.

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 16 of 27
Beta Member

Do you do Weekly or Monthly Specials?

- We do daily Whims (which are also fun for keeping us fresh & not stagnant), as well as Weekly & Monthly Specials, most often determined by seasonality aka what's fresh & in season right now.

Do you do anything fun for holiday seasons?

- We always have some manner of holiday item. We did themed Boo Boxes for Halloween (4 speciality donuts available only as a Boo Box) that was incredibly successful.

Do you rotate things through and keep popular items as standards, or is it always something new?

- We have everyday donuts (aka House) that are available daily as well as a constantly changing menu of Specials & Whims based on season & mood.

What have been your most popular items?

- The classic raised glazed, which we call the Classic, has & is our #1 seller by a landslide. Our Cinnamon Roll donuts made from the scrap dough after punching donuts are very popular.

How do you promote your new things?

- Social media is our go to promotion avenue. 

How do you keep track of what works and what doesn't?

- By how many of each are left at the end or gone first thing 🙂

"New mysteries. New day. Fresh donuts" - David Lynch
Message 17 of 27
Super Seller Alumni

Thanks for sharing, @RuckusDonuts !

I love the term Whims! Randomly popping in with new things is a great way to keep things special, in addition to more regular weekly & monthly -- and of course doing it based on what's in season is perfect.

Oh man, halloween donuts sound like a dream. I think I'm going to have to make a road trip up there one day!

I love that you made a donut to reuse the scraps, and even better that it became popular! Such a great way to do things!

Also having that visual of what's left rather than having to sort through data is pretty great - love that it's working for ya!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 18 of 27

Follow K.I.S.S.  ( keep it simple stupid).  

1.  Minimizes customer confusion 

2.  Staff ( even new hires) become adept and experts preparing the meal

3.  Cuts wayyy back on waste on product used infrequently

4.  Easier to price out and track sales

5.  Quicker table turnover ( customer is not taking 20-30 minutes looking 9ver the menu)

6.  Off menu Specials become SPECIAL!!

7.  Makes life easier

Message 19 of 27
Super Seller Alumni

Thanks for sharing, @AnnaB !

I absolutely agree with all of these - keeping a menu minimal and keeping specials special go a long way to help a business on soooo many levels!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 20 of 27

Hey there, we've been in Buisness for  11yrs. one of the biggest compliments we get is how we stay so fresh? It's simple really, we always have our Famous Burger's (that have been dubbed the BEST in the State for the last 7yrs), Friez, Cheeze Frie'z, WANG'z,& Nacho'z. Every week I kreate 2 Specials and run them for a week only. I'm not afraid to do Special Item's on request and our regular Caver's know that and spread the word. If they like a Special entre from the past I'll make it for them if I can't convince them on a new item and if the want a special item because of allergies or taste I'll do it for them at now extra charge.

Never say NO...

Rotate specials thru out the year with the same items to keep cost down. Same on WANG Sauces keep the regular but always add new I make all my own Sauces and spices.

Message 21 of 27