x
Square

KDS Offline Mode

As I'm sure many folks here know, internet issues and outages can cause chaos in the kitchen. Unfortunately, Square experienced an outage earlier this week that impacted many restaurants. Our team understands how disruptive this can be to your business, and we are investing in reliability as well as improving your offline product experience so you can keep your restaurant running even when your internet goes down.

We're working on a new offline mode for KDS so POS orders reach your KDS, even during an internet or Square outage. We're looking for feedback and advice from our community of Square restaurant/F&B owners and operators to help make sure that the next time there's an outage, you're prepared. This is an opportunity to help Square shape a crucial new feature.

You'll receive a $50 gift card or processing fee credits for your first $2,000 in sales, as a thank you for 30 mins of your time. If you’re open to chatting with us, please comment below!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Super Seller

Finally! I would love to help. 

Feta Whisperer [ insta: 86feta ] [ fb: greekbelly ]
Message 2 of 12

Sure - I can help.  

Message 3 of 12
Super Seller

Count me in.  

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!
Message 4 of 12
Beta Member

I'd love to be involved

Message 5 of 12
Beta Member

This would be a big step in the right direction. Let me know how to help. I made a post a couple of weeks ago about being able to run the system on a local network when the internet is down for precisely this reason. We need to be able to see the orders on the KDS locally when Square servers can not be reached.

Message 6 of 12
Super Seller

This upcoming feature needs to be placed on a accelerated timeline.
Another major KDS disruption happening right now. 2 hours in the middle of our biggest rush of the week. Friday night. 🙏  kitchen and servers are drowning. 

Message 7 of 12
Square Community Moderator

Hi @makedonas - I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing some trouble on your KDS.

It sounds like this behavior was likely related to an issue which occurred on Friday. you can view the details here on our Status Page. This issue has since been resolved, but please let me know if you are still experiencing any disruptions.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 12
Super Seller

It’s been resolved, but those 2 hours felt like 14 long hours lol. 
I’m just saying that having a robust offline-direct connect KDS system will help alleviate Square server issues. 
of course, Online ordering will still get disrupted, but on a weekend night, the dine in guests are the biggest and only priority. 

Message 9 of 12

Thanks for following up here, @makedonas. I'm glad to hear everything is working correctly for you now.

We understand how important it is for all of our services to be running correctly for your business. Our Engineering team is actively discussing how to prevent future disruptions like this one. Thank you for your patience with us as we worked to resolve this issue.

Violet
Message 10 of 12

@makedonas - Additionally, if you're interested, you can opt in for outage notification via text and email here on your Dashboard.

Violet
Message 11 of 12
Super Seller

Already on it! thank you tho 

Message 12 of 12